PDA

View Full Version : Soft top and rear view mirror

LRMAN
09-25-2009, 12:37 PM
I have a IIa bugeye with a soft top. I have looked through some manuals, online and searched here. Is there a rear view mirror for the windshield frame or does it attach only to the hard top?

Just wanted to know before I fabricate something.

Thanks

SeriesShorty
09-25-2009, 12:39 PM
I too run a soft top and you should find several holes in the center top where the soft top attachment rail thingy is at. I was able to fit a standard Series mirror there with 2 small bolts/nuts.

If the holes aren't there already, you should be able to drill them out easily.

scott
09-25-2009, 12:43 PM
my 88 soft top has a mirror. given the clarity of the rear window it's kind of useless

LRMAN
09-25-2009, 12:48 PM
my 88 soft top has a mirror. given the clarity of the rear window it's kind of useless

I know what you mean Scott. It probably works great with the rear top rolled up though.

Now, where do I find one of these mirrors? Could not find one at RN.

scott
09-25-2009, 01:02 PM
...Now, where do I find one of these mirrors? Could not find one at RN.

go to one of them metal dash events, take a friend and a couple of 3/8th wrenches, while your friend comments to a rivit counter about how clean the 2.25 looks, and with the bonnet up and the dude going on and on about all the work he's paid to have done you slide in and out with a beautifully restored rear view mirror

or this would work but it's more rectangular than oval
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Style-Rear-View-MIRROR-Universal-mount-Rat-Rod_W0QQitemZ200380054880QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors _Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea794fd60&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

NickDawson
09-25-2009, 01:24 PM
There is a mount, but there is not an easy place to store the motion sickness meds you'll need from looking at it :D

LRMAN
09-25-2009, 01:29 PM
go to one of them metal dash events, take a friend and a couple of 3/8th wrenches, while your friend comments to a rivit counter about how clean the 2.25 looks, and with the bonnet up and the dude going on and on about all the work he's paid to have done you slide in and out with a beautifully restored rear view mirror

or this would work but it's more rectangular than oval
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Style-Rear-View-MIRROR-Universal-mount-Rat-Rod_W0QQitemZ200380054880QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors _Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea794fd60&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Hmmmm...MDA- Metal Dash Autoparts.;)

ShootingCar
09-26-2009, 08:23 AM
I have a homemade rear view mirror mounted from the top of the windshield frame through the top holes. But aren' these mirrors with the mounting arm for sale at the Rovers North. They are always shown for sale in the mirrors page on the Rovers North magazine.

Jeff

scott
09-26-2009, 10:08 AM
i don't think all that RN has can be found on their online store, sometimes ya gotta call 'em and i'm not sure if there's a difference between the hard & soft top interior mirrors. why would there be. both tops are removable, both windscreens are the same and the mirror should be there regardless if you're getting rained on or not

xsbowes
09-26-2009, 02:06 PM
I got mine through RN but once its mounted you can only see clearly through it when the truck is not running. I had to put a rubber block between the arm and the center of the windshield to keep it from vibrating so much.

TedW
09-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Land Rover made an adaptor for the mirror when you go from a hard top to soft top.

After I installed my soft top I bought a Genuine mounting plate from the UK on ebay. Using it means you don't need to drill any holes. Our hosts may sell it.