PDA

View Full Version : Overdrive shifter boot

kevkon
09-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know of a boot for the overdrive ?
I've been looking, but had no luck. Before I "adapt" another boot I thought I'd ask. I do see where the PO had one as there are 3 screw holes.

BackInA88
09-27-2009, 04:30 PM
I just cut out a diameter of some flat rubber I had laying around.
Punched the holes and slid it in place and screwed the ring back on.
I think I doubled it up?

Steve

Nium
09-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Kevin,

Here's the instructions and parts list for the Superwinch Overdrive the last version of the Fairey Overdrive.

http://www.landrover.ee/est/files/manuals/gearbox/overdrive.pdf

I can measure the rubber on mine tomorrow and post the dimensions for you later. Part RTC7195 is the rubber and RTC7196 is the metal ring. The rubber shouldn't be hard to fabricate it is just a flat washer of rubber.

RN has a listing for RTC7195 that states this part is no longer available call for alternatives so they may have something you could use. They do have the metal ring RTC7196 for $12.08.

Rovers Down South has the rubber RTC7195 for $4.50 and the metal ring RTC7196 for $17.50
http://www.faireyoverdrive.com/fairey1.htm

You meant white lightning :D on octane! That's funny.:thumb-up:

4flattires
09-27-2009, 09:01 PM
I always needed a O/D shift knob with the correct lettering...but $52 clams? :confused:

Jeff

kevkon
09-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks Walker

kevkon
09-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Looking at that excuse for a boot makes me think I'm better off with somthing else. I'll see if Quadratec has a old style Jeep transfer boot and give it a try.

Nium
10-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Kevin,

I recently pulled off the gearbox cover so I've got the rubber washer and metal keeper ring loose for the overdrive shifter. If you would still like the dimensions let me know and I'll measure them up and post a pic.

NickDawson
10-16-2009, 08:06 PM
count me in - believe it or not the rattle from my overdrive is the loudest most annoying (or droning) sound in my truck. Just putting your hand on it silences it, so I'm thinking a rubber boot might do it.

BackInA88
10-17-2009, 07:15 AM
count me in - believe it or not the rattle from my overdrive is the loudest most annoying (or droning) sound in my truck. Just putting your hand on it silences it, so I'm thinking a rubber boot might do it.

It was in mine as well.
I ended up putting some wavy washers / spring washers I had laying around in between the link arm at the pin to add some tension.
Now the rattle is gone!

Steve

kevkon
10-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Waiting for a boot which I hope will be a big improvement. I'll let you know how it works out.

JimCT
10-18-2009, 12:30 PM
bungy cord the levers together.

Nium
10-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Nick or whoever else also wanted the dimensions for the Overdrive Shifter rubber boot/washer for the selector lever, these are the dimensions for the metal ring...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2789/4025299156_02bc98b0d1_b.jpg

The drawing in the link isn't 100% to scale but it sould be darn close. If you print it out and can measure the 70 mm for the outside diameter of the ring then you could probably just cut it out and use it as a template. The rubber washer is the same dimensions except the inner diameter is 30 mm and not the 48 mm that the metal ring is. I had to use millimeters to make the measurements easier then trying to figure out by 1/32's of an inch. The thickness of the metal and rubber is about the same at a 1/16 on an inch, but I imagine using slightly thicker rubber, 1/8" or so, wouldn't matter. I would have posted pics of the actual rubber but it's deteriorated and falling apart so I think a drawing will be more helpful anyway.

Kevin,
I'll be interested to know how the boot you ordered works out. As I have to replace my boot since it feel apart when I removed the gearbox tunnel.

kevkon
10-19-2009, 08:20 AM
No problem Walker. If it works out it will be an inxpensive item readily available.

SalemRover
10-19-2009, 08:57 AM
I home made my shifter boot from some 3/16" diving suit neoprene. The nice thing about the neoprene is that the material is very stretchy and has good elastic memory. So the center hole stretches to make a nice tight fit when the hole is cut undersized and stretched over.

-Jason