PDA

View Full Version : Carburetor

LRMAN
09-28-2009, 05:39 AM
Which ones work best on a IIa 2.25 petrol? Easiest to maintain/rebuild? Which ones go longest between rebuilds?

Weber?
Rochester?
Zenith?
SU?
Carter?

Any others?

LaneRover
09-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Are you one of those people that just likes to stir the pot? ;-)

Bertha
09-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Here is a quick response:

Weber -good reliable carb, not the fastest, good on gas
Rochester- reliable carb, good power, a bit of a gas guzler
Zenith- not a great carb, hard to get rebuilt properly,
SU-never seen one on a 2.25 motor
Carter- I have no real experience with this one
One you forgot:
Solex- reliable carb, makes good power, slightly less fuel efficient than a weber, looks most appropriate in early trucks.

LRMAN
09-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Are you one of those people that just likes to stir the pot? ;-)

Sorry, didn't know this was a sore point.

My weber is not working well and trying to determine if it is worth rebuilding or going to something better.

Bertha
09-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Sorry, didn't know this was a sore point.

My weber is not working well and trying to determine if it is worth rebuilding or going to something better.

Try rebuilding it-the kits are cheap and it is one of the easier carbs to rebuild and get working properly.

LaneRover
09-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Sorry, didn't know this was a sore point

Just joking around, there are a few things that people feel strongly about and this is probably one of them.

LRMAN
09-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Just joking around, there are a few things that people feel strongly about and this is probably one of them.

I figured as much Lane.

Next question: What is the best color to paint your Rover?:eek: Kidding as well.

LaneRover
09-28-2009, 12:47 PM
I wish that I had more to contribute than just a smart ass comment!

My favorite so far is a Rochester that came on one of my Rover's. I have the 2 barrel carb on another. That one did take me a while to get set-up properly and until I did my gas consumption dropped to 7 mpg!

Brent

LRMAN
09-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Just ordered a Weber rebuild kit.

kevkon
10-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Anyone running the Weber DG 5v 2 barrel? Any hints on getting this right or is it better to go to the single barrel?

yank
10-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Terri Ann's site has some info on the two barrel.
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/landRoverFAQ/FAQ_Weberdgv.htm

scott
10-04-2009, 01:43 PM
i'm using the weber 32/36 dgv 5a. when i first got my rove it had this carb and it was set up pretty wierd. the linkage was towards the bulkhead. some of the link rods were bent and the throttle was not going through the full range. the po had it running pretty much so that the 2nd brl never kicked in. it worked. i drove it that way over 750 miles from place of purchase to home.

i've since rotated the carb 90` clockwise and now the linkage is to the left. modified the linkage and got a smooth movement through it's whole range. replaced the 1 1/2" exhaust with a 1 3/4" and less restrictive muffler. added an electric fuel pump and a fuel pressure regulator set at 2.5 psi.

the one thing i want to replace is the cheap manifold adapter. i will adventually get me a pierce monifold made for the 2.25 and weber dvg

TeriAnn
10-04-2009, 03:56 PM

I understand the main jet is on the bottom of the float chamber. Could be some crud choking the main. Maybe all it needs to to clean out the float chamber, remove the main jet, blow it out & replace?

I got 15-16 MPG highway with my Rochester.

The Carter off early jeeps is a bad choice but the Holly off the Scout I is supposed to be a good choice. I have no direct experience with either.

kevkon
10-04-2009, 07:25 PM
I guess what I'm asking is if the 2 barrel Weber can ever be set up adequately or if I'm better off going to a Rochester or single venturi Weber. Any suggestions?

TeriAnn
10-04-2009, 08:56 PM
I guess what I'm asking is if the 2 barrel Weber can ever be set up adequately or if I'm better off going to a Rochester or single venturi Weber. Any suggestions?

The Weber page in my LR web site provides my opinion of the 32/36 DGV, but if you want to try one yourself there seem to be several sitting around passively for sale that have been removed from 2.25L engines. I think the Weber 32/34 DTML would be worth a try though. Land Rover fitted them to the 2.25L engine as a replacement to the Zenith. Use the LR factory jetting.

The Rochester is simple and once set up usually very trouble free. They come in different venturi sizes. You are likely to end up with a flat spot if you get one with too large a venturi.

The Weber single venturi is a generic replacement and often is sold with jetting that is too lean for a Series truck. Be sure to get the air fuel mixture checked first thing.

kevkon
10-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Thanks.

TeriAnn, it goes without saying that my first action was to check with your great website! You are definately tops in my book.
I should have made it clear that I already have the 2 barrel Weber on a pierce manifold which was installed by the PO.
That's why I posted the question about the Weber DGV 5 2 barrel. I wanted to know how others with this carb setup are doing or if it's a waste of time and I would be better off just going back to the single barrel setup ( I have the stock intake manifold).

Andrew IIA
10-05-2009, 08:16 AM
I think the Weber 32/34 DTML would be worth a try though. Land Rover fitted them to the 2.25L engine as a replacement to the Zenith. Use the LR factory jetting.

I have this carb on a Turner 2.25 8:1 and love it :thumb-up:

Best regards, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88" SW

TeriAnn
10-05-2009, 10:01 AM
I should have made it clear that I already have the 2 barrel Weber on a pierce manifold which was installed by the PO.
That's why I posted the question about the Weber DGV 5 2 barrel. I wanted to know how others with this carb setup are doing or if it's a waste of time and I would be better off just going back to the single barrel setup ( I have the stock intake manifold).

You can always go poking around the UK sources to see if you can scare up a rebuilt Weber 32/34 DTML to put on your Pierce manifold.

kevkon
10-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the ideas.
How do those using the Weber 341CH sold by our hosts find that carb to work out?

Eric W S
10-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the ideas.
How do those using the Weber 341CH sold by our hosts find that carb to work out?

I have a weber (came on the truck not from out hosts). It's just kinda of there. Nothing good or bad about it except the PO bodged my elbow...

FWIW, I bought a Solex to replace it with...

Nium
10-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Came across this big long thread on carbs on another forum

http://www.landroverusaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638

I haven't read thru it all yet but looks informative.

jgkmmoore
10-06-2009, 06:49 PM
I just bought a 64 109" Safari wagon, with an SU 'HS' model carb. It's a side draft, in this case mounted on a 45% adapter that has the carb angling towards the firewall on the left side of the RHD truck. At speed, and while accelerating, it runs pretty well and gets very good gas mileage. However, at idle, it is sour. Ragged idle, that cleans up as soon as you press the throttle. I raised the idle speed just because I couldn't get it smooth at idle by turning 'the big knurled nut' at the lower end of the carb. At idle, it blows some light, white smoke after a few minutes. At the same time, smells very rich.I have not yet done a compression check, or looked at the plugs....but, am I missing any other mixture access? Not having much luck with the big nut.
If there aren'y any experienced SU guys aboard, I suppose it best for me to go to a Jag forum to ask?

ktom300
10-06-2009, 07:25 PM
I have the Zenith and haven't had any issues with it. It worked fine after the vehicle hadn't been started for 8 years. I did rebuild it eventually but only because I didn't realize I had a bad condensor.

Andrew IIA
10-06-2009, 08:55 PM
I just bought a 64 109" Safari wagon, with an SU 'HS' model carb. It's a side draft, in this case mounted on a 45% adapter that has the carb angling towards the firewall on the left side of the RHD truck. At speed, and while accelerating, it runs pretty well and gets very good gas mileage. However, at idle, it is sour.
If there aren'y any experienced SU guys aboard, I suppose it best for me to go to a Jag forum to ask?
Ask 'Kevinny" here, he had an SU on a 2.25 . I'll give him a shout 4 U. Andrew

KevinNY
10-06-2009, 09:12 PM
I no longer have that engine but it was a sweet running setup. Ran at any angle without a stutter ever. I was schooled on mine by an MG enthusiast, that could be a good resource. There is a guy with a shop in Queens named Joe Curto who is the master of all things SU, google him.

LRMAN
10-07-2009, 06:42 AM
I had dual SUs on my '69 Triumph Spitfire race car and loved them. Easy to tune and great performance.

kevkon
10-07-2009, 07:37 AM
Ok, but between Zenith, Rochester, Solex, and the two common Webers, what's the consensus? Which gets the drivers choice award?

Nium
10-07-2009, 08:07 AM
When I originally got Ronnie the Weber 34 ICH was fitted to it. For no particular reason I bought a Zenith and put that on. Then took off the Zenith and sanded all mating surfaces across sandpaper on glass to make sure there wasn't any warp and refitted. Then I found I was constantly re tightening the screws for the economy diaphragm to stop it from leaking air. I have since taken off the Zenith and refitted the Weber 34 ICH until I can stick some heli-coils in for the economy device on the Zenith and anneal the carb body (just to make sure there isn't any warp issues) I'm not sure where my Zenith was made I had bought it from RN about 12-15 years ago. Seems like there is some debate about the quality of more recently manufactured Zenith carbs as opposed to originals, but nothing I've found can quantifiably support those ascertations is just people's opinions as far as I can tell.

Of these 2 carbs, that I've used, I'd have to say the Weber 34 ICH has been more reliable and consistent. I have never measured anything to be able to quantifiably say which is better or provides more power.

The link I'd posted earlier did have cfm numbers for all five carbs and a few other hard facts for example...
venturi dia, air flow
Weber 34ICH 29mm, 138 cfm
Zenith 36IV 27mm, 127 cfm
Weber 3236 27/27mm 191 cfm

TeriAnn
10-07-2009, 08:09 AM
I had dual SUs on my '69 Triumph Spitfire race car and loved them. Easy to tune and great performance.

Funny thing, Years back there was a time wen I had a loose LR 2.25 head and a loose TR3 intake manifold. I was struck by how similar the ports looked and matched them up. The intake ports appeared to be a good match and I think even one or two of the mounting holes lined up. In retrospect I should have been trying to match up intake manifold gaskets.

I never went beyond the idle speculation stage because the LHD steering box and a rear SU would be trying to occupy the same space. But I've often thought that with a power steering conversion someone with much better skills than I could probably mate the two. Since the LR and TR4 engines are close to the same size, a pair of SUs set up for a TR4 would likely work just fine.

Idle speculation from someone waiting for parts for both vehicles.

jgkmmoore
10-08-2009, 03:06 AM
Thanks Andrew and Kevin, for the info on the SU. Gonnan try a nearby MG/Triumph guy 'cause Im on the Left Coast. May ring up Mr Curto as well.:thumb-up:

jgkmmoore
05-05-2010, 04:24 PM
I found a great wrench about 2 miles from me that knew SU's from the ground up. He spent about an hour on my truck, and now it runs like a Rolls. It cold starts with no choke, and runs quietly, accelerating away without a stumble immediately. Gas mileage improved markedly, and acceleration thruout the rpm range is quite satisfactory. He did not rebuild the carb...just took it apart and blew air thru it (and carb cleaner), and reset to proper specs. Transformed the trucks performance....night and day. SU's are known for NOT having issues, once setup properly. They seem way $pendy on Ebay tho.....seem to range around $400 for a used one. I'm sure one could be had somewhere for $50?:thumb-up::D:D:D