PDA

View Full Version : Diesel conversion won't start

morgant
09-28-2009, 06:11 AM
I'm sure I can come up with plenty of excuses as to why I "didn't have time" to just get out and start my '82 Series III 88" w/the 2.8L Daihatsu diesel conversion in the last month (or more? When was the last time I started it?!), but it's just not worth it. I've let it sit too long and now it won't start. Doh!

I know most of you aren't going to be able to help with this particular diesel engine, but what's the general procedure for troubleshooting this? This is my first diesel, so I apologize in advance for being completely ignorant.

Could the diesel in my tank or lines have soured? Clogged injectors or something? Also, the last time I did start it I noticed that the "cold start" light didn't come on when I held down the button, but it did start fine. I had the dash/instrument panel out looking at how hard it would be to replace my speedometer cable (http://roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7298) prior to noticing the issue, so could I have knocked something and now my glow plugs aren't warming it up. I didn't think it'd start without the glow plugs though (esp. since I was running it about once a week).

I took my dash apart and peeked at the connections for the cold start button and lamp, but didn't see anything glaringly obvious. I'll borrow a multimeter and double check things this week, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SalemRover
09-28-2009, 06:45 AM
Approach it similar to a gas engine. Is their anything coming out of the tailpipe? If yes then it should be a white smoke. That would let you know the fuel delivery system is ok. If it is white smoke are you sure your glow plugs are working?

If you dont get anything in the exhaust pipe then I would look for the fuel cutoff system and given your recent search behind the dash I would reckon it uses and electronic shutoff and you simply knocked the power out.

Good Luck!

-Jason

KevinNY
09-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Do you hear the fuel stop solenoid click when you turn the key to the on position? Have someone turn the key while you listen for it, it is on top of the injection pump and needs 12v ingnition switched for the truck to run.

4flattires
09-29-2009, 07:02 AM
Assuming your motor is turning over, but not firing up.

1. Validate your glow plugs are getting juice.

2. Does it fire up on starting fluid (or WD40)? I know, thousands of folks will chime in about not using it, others will swear by it. Just see if it run. Do a google search on the topic to satisfy yourself.

3. Diesel is pretty hard to sour. Remember, its really only oil lit up by ultra high compression. I have tractors with 20y/o diesel in them and they run just fine.

Jeff

scott
09-29-2009, 09:36 AM
have you checked to see if the dzl pump needs primed. i'd have to do this when ever i ran my volvo dzl past empty.

morgant
09-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I am getting white smoke, so I'll continue pursuing the glow plug theory. I definitely must've knocked something one of the times I had the dash open.

SafeAirOne
09-29-2009, 09:08 PM
The heater plugs are usually controlled through a relay, so you should be able to trace it backward from the plugs to the relay (big wires) then from the relay to the instrument panel (small wires).

I can't access my SIII instrument panel without popping the warning/main beam indicator lamps out of place every time. You probably just disconnected a wire somewhere back there.

morgant
10-05-2009, 04:21 PM
I got back into town last night while there were a few hours of daylight remaining and opened up the dash again. I initially couldn't find a contact missing a connection, but once I started exploring the wiring I did discover a single wire that was obviously wouldn't reach the distance I had pulled the dash out. A few minutes of searching showed a contact on the cold start button that was nearly invisible.

Reconnected, switched the ignition into the on position, and pressed the cold start button. There was the click of the solenoid giving power to the glow plugs and the cold start light lit up. Let go of the cold start button, turned the ignition to the start position and it fired right up.

Checked a few more connections. Put my dash back together. Drove it around the block for the first time in months!

Many thanks all!

4flattires
10-05-2009, 08:57 PM
The circle of life is complete.

Jeff