PDA

View Full Version : SIII dead in the water ... won't move trannY?!

weatherm
10-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Ok! this sucks.. just went and picked up some new to me tires and put them on last night. 2 days before I pulled off the tranny tunnel cover and one of the rubber thingies that holds the detent spring in place was rotted so i replaced it (it was leaking). Made sure the ball was in there and put everthing back in. Made sure it shifted gears (I never did crank it up). Well I put everything back together last night and got in this morning and it cranks up fine... but its not moving! I can sit and go through the gears without my foot on the clutch http://www.lrrforums.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

I checked the tranfer case knob and that works its all the way up to the firewall....

Any ideas!! I don't think the detent spring had a effect b/c I had it in neutral when I pulled it.

http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/archives/881# <--me changing that rubber thing should not have any affect on it not moving

this has to be a tranfer case problem or something stupid

badvibes
10-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Nothing in any gear combination? Did you try shifting into 4 wheel drive low range also? Sometimes when I'm going from 4 low back to high range I don't get the transfer case all the way into gear out of neutral. No other strange sounds/happenings? I've also had the pins in the clutch linkage snap which wouldn't disengage the clutch, but when trying to shift gears with this problem and the truck running the gears grind horribly. I replaced the shift detent springs and seals recently and don't see how doing this could be the cause of your problem either, it's a pretty simple thing.

Jeff

weatherm
10-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Yeah I tried it all... this totally sucks. This has to be something silly.
Changing the fluids and patching up a rotted out rubber should not affect the rig from not moving :(
clutch is good.. it has pressure and feels like it always has

jopa
10-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Double check your linkages- I suspect the transfercase is in neutral...Often on replacing the floorboards/tranny hump, etc the shifter can be prevented from moving in its usual manner- may look ok to the eye- but just not moving forward enough to go from neutral to high range...
Simple test- pull it back into low range and see if you have drive- Good luck- J

NickDawson
10-02-2009, 09:43 AM
My III has done something similar and its always been like badvibes said. On one occassion I had to actually rock it back and forth a bit to get it to catch after moving it b/t 4wd and 2wd while parked.

My disco used to do something similar, it was like that magic 1/4 turn of the wheels made something catch.

Fingers crossed that it turns out to be something simple!

weatherm
10-02-2009, 10:05 AM
lunch time is crunch time.. will report

scott
10-02-2009, 11:22 AM
do you have an o/d? one of my many potato head moves. jumped into mine after work and same thing. had it towed home only to find out that my o/d was inbetween engaged and disengaged.

weatherm
10-02-2009, 12:21 PM
that was it!

I had to back the truck up and push it foward a few times (2 car lenghts for good measure :) and giggle the xfer case knob... good to know in the future.. I've had this problem before but not this bad.. glad its fixed!

thanks rovers north for the suspension. rides GREAT! to bad it stunk taking the old stuff off

Les Parker
10-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Glad to learn you are mobile for the weekend.
Our Touring Team is at the M.A.R. this weekend, drop in and say hello.

:)

NickDawson
10-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Glad to learn you are mobile for the weekend.
Our Touring Team is at the M.A.R. this weekend, drop in and say hello.

:)

Cool! Looking forward to seeing the RN crew there

badvibes
10-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Cool! Now take it out and see what you can really break. Just kidding, though that's the way it seems to work for me.....

Jeff