PDA

View Full Version : Ball joint experts, I need advice/opinions

thixon
10-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Well,

While plumbing brake lines, and checking wheels cylinders here's what I found.

It looks like the SPO bought the kit to replace the seals, but chickened out. He did the classic screw driver and hammer trick on the nuts because he did'nt have a big enough socket (geez, how hard is it to go harbor freight or sears). I don't know how much further he went, but he must have monkeyed with the ball joint on the passenger side. I can rock the ball joint up and down about 1/8" or so.

I hav'nt been into one in over ten years so I thought I'd stop and get some opinions first. My guess is, he released the pre-load when taking things apart and just bolted everything back together without resetting it. I may be way off base here though, so let the opinions fly.

The drivers side, which appears to have been untouched by said SPO is fine.

thixon
10-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Replying to my own thread.

Could it be a no preload or railco is bad, spacers are gone combo?

I Leak Oil
10-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Yup, could just be worn out. You won't know until you get in there. If you clean up around the top pin you might be able to see some shim. Even that isn't going to tell you anything other than the guy put them back.

Les Parker
10-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Hello there,

Are we taliknng about the top swivel pins here?
If so, do not forget the lower taper ball bearings, seals etc.

thixon
10-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Hi Les,

I'm not sure yet. I hav'nt pulled anything apart past the removing the outer hub assembly. All I can tell you at this point is that I can rock the outer portion of the joint up and down on the ball.

brucejohn
10-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Thixon...
It likely is just because I am such a noob, I am confused. would you help me understand? By ball joint experts you mean swivel ball joint experts?

You can lift the outer clam shell [EDIT: swivel pin housing] of the swivel ball joint straight up and down an 1/8", or the stub axle rocks up and down an 1/8"?

Also, being a noob I don't know what IIRC means.

Thanks for educating me.

thixon
10-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Brucejohn,

Noob huh? Doesnt sound like it based on your post!:D

By ball joints I mean swivell ball joints. Sorry, I tend to type fast and think slow.

I can rock the entire housing up an down about an 1/8" or so. I originally noticed this when the wheels were still on the truck. I just figured the wheel bearings were shot, and went on with my bad self making other repairs.

To update you, this truck was bought as a big pile of parts the previous owner was not capable of putting back together. I've basically found that anything he got into requires a re work by me. It's been fun speculating on what else will be next if you know what I mean. You should have seen the bulkhead. His footwell repairs where a sort of welding/bondo hybrid. He was ahead of time I guess.

IIRC = if i recall correctly.

brucejohn
10-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Thixon...
I saw the work you did on the mount points for the tub. Inspired me, started researching welders ended up buying a Millermatic 211 and I am now trying to figure out MIG welding aluminum (birmabright?). When my wife complains I blame your posts. ;)

I am no expert; I did just rebuilt the swivels on my SIII 109, though I am having issues with them as you may have noticed. Right now I am just trying to make sure I understand what your issues are.

This is a great resource and I have enjoyed many of your posts. Thank you.