PDA

View Full Version : Possibly running on 3 cylinders?

LRMAN
10-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Well I replaced my leaking coil and all my distributor components and the Rover runs much better now. I also rebuilt the carb.

I pulled each spark plug wire one at a time while running and the engine definitely changed for each wire except for the #4 cylinder. It seemed to not make any change in the idle. I replaced the spark plug and wires with known good ones. My compression tester is shot so I am not sure there is compression on 4.

When I took it out on the road it seemed to run fine and I even got it up to about 50mph.

Could it be that removing the #4 wire just doesn't change the idle much? I don't think the idle on these engines is all that smooth when running perfectly anyway.

Any thoughts?

Nium
10-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Could it be that removing the #4 wire just doesn't change the idle much?

More then likely something is amiss in #4. Take the plug out of 4 stick it in the wire set the plug against a good ground. Spin the engine with the starter to make sure you are getting good blue spark at the plug. If you are getting good spark at the plug then issue is in the cylinder. If no spark then something wrong with plug, plug wire, dizzy cap, or dizzy.