PDA

View Full Version : HELP! POR-15 experts - need a fast answer!

John O from Jersey
10-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Hi folks

Now I've done it. Found out my oil bath air cleaner was leaking from 2 little rust pinholes in the base. I decided to sand blast it and seal them up with some POR-Patch - the thick tube sealant from POR-15.

Then I remembered I'll want to paint over it when done. I checked their website and can't figure out when the best time to top-coat it is (i.e., when fully cured?? when tacky?? when dry to touch but not fully cured??)

Does anyone here know?? (I put the putty on at 6:00 EST so I'd like to know soon :-) )

Thanks as always!

John O

luckyjoe
10-08-2009, 08:01 PM
John,

I've had excellent results hitting it with spray primer while the POR-15 is still tacky, then let it fully dry. You can topcoat the primer at the time of your choosing.

Tacky = slight adhesion to your finger, but no color transfer to your skin. Clear as Mud?

I've never painted "cured" POR-15, so I can't comment there.

Hope that helps,

scott
10-08-2009, 10:13 PM
i por 15 my bulkhead and forward half of my frame. read some of the literature that came with it and it said to top coat it when it was "finger drag dry" i guest it to mean when you can drag your finger acrossed it, feel that tacky, but get no transfer of paint to finger.

i didn't have that much time. had to split the job over two weekends. so before color coating the bulkhead i took the shine off it with 3m scratch pads. a dupont limestone satin finish has stuck very nicely

kevkon
10-09-2009, 07:42 AM
I think he's asking about the patching compound not the paint. That should be fully cured before topcoating.

Jim-ME
10-09-2009, 08:02 AM
I concur that the patch needs to be fully cured before top coating with anything.
Jim