9. No radio
8. Doesn't need waxing
7. Everyone looks sexy behind the wheel :cool:
6. Royalty have ridden in them
5. No vacuuming, just hose it out
4. No possibility of getting speeding tickets:nono:
3. Will take you where you want to go and sometime where you don't:eek:
2. Makes Jeep owners very insecure

And the number one reason we love our Land Rover Series....
So simply even a caveman could fix it

Nium
10-09-2009, 09:18 AM
4. No possibility of getting speeding tickets:nono:

There is the heightened chance of getting pulled over becasue the cop just wanted a closer look. By using thin excuses like you were wandering over the center line (steering in a Landy isn't percison they should be happy it stays mostly on one side of the road) or they weren't sure the lights were on but after they have pulled you over they can see that they really dimly are, or some other excuse just so they can gawk at it a little closer.:rolleyes:

greasyhandsagain
10-09-2009, 10:37 AM
You forgot one......If you get in a high speed collision, you dont have to worry about hospital bills...........just the undertaker charges.:mad:

LRMAN
10-09-2009, 11:21 AM
You forgot one......If you get in a high speed collision, you dont have to worry about hospital bills...........just the undertaker charges.:mad:

High speed collision???....oh, now I get it. You drive off a cliff and and the LR collides with the ground at a high speed. Although not that high as the air resistance of the LR will slow it down considerably.

greasyhandsagain
10-09-2009, 11:27 AM
uhhh kind of like youre puttering along at 45 and get walloped by dodge ram pickup going 70.

Yikes I dont really even want to think about that....Im sticking to trails, low range and 6 mph!

willincalgary
10-09-2009, 11:55 AM
uhhh kind of like youre puttering along at 45 and get walloped by dodge ram pickup going 70.

Yikes I dont really even want to think about that....Im sticking to trails, low range and 6 mph!

I always find the road drive to the trails the most nerve racking. Once on the trails the truck feels so much more at home!

gudjeon
10-09-2009, 12:01 PM
I agree^^^. I like my 88" '57 ser1 w/2.25 to keep up with modern traffic:D.
The putzes that do that will blow by you no matter how fast you are going.

Its like stepping back in time and it helps you keep a slower place in life.

I should get a medal, not a ticket, if I get caught speeding.

Once you're off road, you know right away what it was built for.:thumb-up:

Jim-ME
10-09-2009, 12:09 PM
I love them because other than my Rover friends no one else has one. I like to be different.
Jim

NickDawson
10-09-2009, 01:25 PM
There is the heightened chance of getting pulled over becasue the cop just wanted a closer look. By using thin excuses like you were wandering over the center line (steering in a Landy isn't percison they should be happy it stays mostly on one side of the road)
sounds very familiar :D

Nium
10-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I particularly like 'em because of how manual everything is. On a modern car there is the Car Computer (ECU) that takes care of everything, the automatic transmission, power steering, etc. With Series you are the one in control of it all. You have to know to pull out the choke to get started to feather it in as it warms. What each of the 4 gear selectors do and when to use them. I particularly like the number of gear shifts I think that's the best theft deterent. Imagine a car thief getting in looking at all those and gettin right back out becasue of sheer confusion. The toggle switches for lights, I jus love flickin 'em up and down :D. The oil smell that permiates the cabin and the air immediately around the rig. Knowing what symptoms are telling you what system is feeling lonely and would like you to come pay attention to it.

The interest it brings from others. I don't mind telling people that no it's not a Jeep or Land Cruiser that it's a Land Rover! Mostly because then I've got an interested audience that I can talk to about Ronnie for a little bit :) even when they start backing away and try to leave when I'm trying to get them to look at the latest repair I've done LOL. The waves and smiles from passing motorists and kids, the head turns, the drunks stumbling up to tell me I've got a spare tire on the bonnet (really happened on Duval St. in Key West once).

All in all best auto I've ever owned. Just wish sometimes I didn't have to bleed on it so much to keep it running. :rolleyes:

SeriesShorty
10-09-2009, 02:48 PM
I particularly like the number of gear shifts I think that's the best theft deterent. Imagine a car thief getting in looking at all those and gettin right back out becasue of sheer confusion.

#11 - built-in passive anti-theft device :thumb-up:

bmohan55
10-09-2009, 04:09 PM
I gives you the chance to meet other Series owners...all very cool people!

pisten-bully
10-09-2009, 04:22 PM
How about.... because when they tip over you can get them back on their feet quickly and easily.... and any resultant damage only adds to the patina?

TJR
10-09-2009, 05:13 PM
.. since the Green bible can make such good bathroom reading material :-)

badvibes
10-09-2009, 05:42 PM
.....you can set a beer on the wing to set the timing and then you get to drink the beer.

.....people in $50K Hummers will pull up next to you to say "Nice truck!"

.....people will ask if you're a fossil hunter.

.....it's fun to use words like spanner, bonnet, breakfast, and birmabright.

.....it's fun to tell other vehicle owners that you have repairs older than their vehicles.

.....a roll of duct tape on the front seat makes the best drink holder ever.

.....did I mention the beer thing?

Nium
10-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Ya find parts ya bought 3 years ago, on sale, when ya are cleaning out the dark recesses of the basement.:rolleyes:

jb_
10-11-2009, 10:21 PM
I just bought some valves and plumbing bits and when I got home and read this topic over lunch, I just realised that I spent 50% more in the plumbing store than my Series cost me. LOL

I gotta love that.

When it comes to loving the Series, though, I haven't quite worked my way up to that point yet. I had a new year's resolution, but I'm running a bit late on that one.

I tend to view my Series as a little dog that followed me home. So I fed it. And it won't go away. But I just want to look outside occasionally and ask "are you still there?" Then I hear a little creak or a rattle or notice an oil spot and I know.