PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leak

LRMAN
10-09-2009, 03:43 PM
I love these vehicles:o

I just finished up replacing the oil pan gasket and the rear diff shaft seal. I took the truck for a ride and pulled over after about 10 miles to check things out. It looked like oil pouring out from the edge of the oil pan gasket. I checked the level and it was still above the low mark so I turned around and went home. When I got there I discovered it was not oil that was leaking but coolant.

It appears to be coming from right above the dipstick tube. I could not get my head in there very well but it looks like it may be coming from 1 of 2 plugs or bolts or something about halfway up the block.

Can anyone tell me what these are and why coolant may be leaking from them all of a sudden. I wasn't even near that side of the engine.

Thanks

I Leak Oil
10-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Sounds like the drain petcock or the freeze plugs. Those are the only things just above the dipstick. Clean it up really well, start it up and stick your head under there to take a look. That's the only way to find out for sure.

pisten-bully
10-09-2009, 04:37 PM
... and just remember the migratory nature of fluid leaks. For example, it could be originating near the water pump or thermostat, from a hose, and then blowing back along the engine block and is most noticable where you're seeing it... except the problem is upstream from where you're seeing it.

LRMAN
10-09-2009, 06:40 PM
... and just remember the migratory nature of fluid leaks. For example, it could be originating near the water pump or thermostat, from a hose, and then blowing back along the engine block and is most noticable where you're seeing it... except the problem is upstream from where you're seeing it.

Oh yes, I know all about leak migration. My other hobby is restoring sailboats. It is not uncommon to find a puddle of water on the cabin sole ten feet away from where it originated overhead with no evidence of how it got there.

I have also seen engine leaks squirt onto another area.

Unfortunately I cannot get my head to the proper angle to see this one. It is still leaking after I shut down the engine and the top portion of the block under the exhaust manifold is dry. I will get a mirror in there this weekend to see what it is.

LRMAN
10-12-2009, 11:30 AM
I have not been able to get my head in the space but I was able to use a digital camera to see what I was feeling. A trick I learned working on my boats.

Anyway, the leak is coming from the drain plug on the block. I am not sure if this looks normal or not but possibly some welding repairs done here? Also, the freeze plugs appear to have some sort of retrofit repair.

This engine has been running leak free for the last couple of weeks. No overheating or freezing weather. I am not sure why it would start all of a sudden.

Any ideas? I am going to try and apply some teflon tape to the plug, put back in and refill with AF.

graniterover
10-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Looks like the block was repaired at some point maybe? I'd drain and replace the coolant, refill, then add stop a leak and see what happens. I lasted 4 years like that after a similar crack and it was fine until other parts of the engine expired.

I have not been able to get my head in the space but I was able to use a digital camera to see what I was feeling. A trick I learned working on my boats.

Anyway, the leak is coming from the drain plug on the block. I am not sure if this looks normal or not but possibly some welding repairs done here? Also, the freeze plugs appear to have some sort of retrofit repair.

This engine has been running leak free for the last couple of weeks. No overheating or freezing weather. I am not sure why it would start all of a sudden.

Any ideas? I am going to try and apply some teflon tape to the plug, put back in and refill with AF.

LRMAN
10-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks Granite. The leaks are pretty bad but maybe I will try some Bars Leaks. I used to use that with good results in my Triumph engines. Otherwise I may remove the wing and the manifolds and get someone to patch it again.

I Leak Oil
10-13-2009, 11:05 AM
That block looks like it's been abused. Those freeze plugs look more like a rubber well plug, as in made for a boat hull, not a pressurized cooling system. It also looks as if someone tried to repair a cracked block with a gob of PC-7 or similar goop! The drain petcock is missing, what is plugging the hole? :eek: