PDA

View Full Version : 04 grumble and squeal on acceleration - ideas?

Colorado Rover
10-12-2009, 10:46 AM
My 04 has 97,500 miles (new short block has 25,500). Original transmistions, etc. Vehicle starts well and sound normal in neutral when sitting or driving. While in D,3,2,1 and engaging accelerator I am hearing a squall (sounds like rubber on metal or a bad bearing type squeal) and also a grumble/rumble through the accelerator pedal and floor board. THe squeal and grumble are consistent with the rpm increase or decrease. WHen very lightly engaging accelerator, it sounds more clunky with a slight creak (kind of like a stuck door - i would describe this like a chaon on a sprocket popping into/out of the sprocket) and the squeal is not always noticeable, but will appear everytime when getting moving a little faster. As soon as you back off the acceleration the sound and noise stop.

My ist thought was - great &*$%^ transmission / transfer case. But, i am not noticing a loss of power for acceleration and shifting seems to be ok too. Then I thought - u joints?.

Any help would be great.

Colorado Rover
10-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Diagnosis underway - seems the u joints on the front drive shaft are done. This may also account for hte squealing and rpm consistency. Also, the rear drive shaft u joints seem to be suspect too - some play in those too. Having priced out after market shafts (never mind factory - ouch) it seems that a rebuild is in order. Not sure if I want to tackle this one myself as things are getting cold here. I found a company that will do rebuild with 2yr/24kmi warranty and they will replace u joints with serviceable parts, roto flex and redo the front yoke for $600.

Intersting note - it seems the ac condensor drips on the front drive shaft and the catalytic converter cooks out the grease too. I need to figure out a way to divert the drip and keep the water out of the joints and yoke. Any ideas?

Has anyone converted out their roto flex to a u joint? It seems I need a new flange on the rear diff. to accept a four bolt pattern and corresponding plate to mate up the drive shaft.

These LR's are fun.

Joey4420
10-13-2009, 07:46 AM
The rear diff part you need is available here at Rovers North, just give them a call. Kind of hard to find on the site.

Colorado Rover
10-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks Joey. Disco is much better know with new ujoints. I will do upgrade when weather improves.