PDA

View Full Version : Spring Questions

slorocco
10-13-2009, 07:17 PM
I have a 109 5 door station wagon that has been converted to run in a "spring over" configuration with the springs mounted on top of the axle instead of below it. I have been running with an old pair of stock station wagon springs in the rear but one has given up the ghost. Can anyone tell me how much and how quickly a new pair of rear springs will settle? With the spring over configuration I need for the spring to ride fairly flat without a lot of arc to them in static conditions.

Thanks, Dan

rwollschlager
10-14-2009, 09:19 AM
From personal experience... if you buy them from DAP they already come flat :sly:. What you could do is get a set of stock springs from our hosts and take out leaves as needed, and when and if they settle too much you can put the leaves back in later on. Not sure if this helps.
Good luck!
-Rob

greenmeanie
10-14-2009, 10:32 AM
From owners in th UK I understand what you are really looking for is a set of Britpart springs that are notorious for the very effect you desire.

slorocco
10-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I ended up placing an order for some stock springs from our hosts, they ended up having the best prices. I did talk with the guys at Alcan regarding the springs and they were ready to make some up form me. The estimated cost was around $215 each. If I can't make these work, I may be calling Alcan back.

Les Parker
10-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Please let us know how the springs work out. Quite the project !

:thumb-up:

NepentheSea
10-15-2009, 12:39 PM
and post some pics of that spring over! Id love to see how it sits. Before and after would be extra nice;)

TSR53
10-15-2009, 12:55 PM
and post some pics of that spring over! Id love to see how it sits. Before and after would be extra nice;)

3uyFYGfpUTY

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1450&d=1228919258

slorocco
10-16-2009, 02:28 PM
That's the one. That's before the MidAtlantic Rally where the right rear spring gave up the ghost and is not curving upward instead of downward. I'm hoping the new springs don't make it sit too high in the back. If it does, I'll have to find a way to get them to settle down quickly.

slorocco
10-16-2009, 02:31 PM
http://www.washbrook.net/images/Pink109.jpg

Here's a pic from the MAR several years ago, before the spring over, sitting on parabolics. It now sits on stock 109 station wagon springs in the rear, and stock rear 88 springs in the front.