PDA

View Full Version : drive it like a 3 speed or 4 speed

badvibes
10-13-2009, 09:35 PM
I have a "fresh" motor, around 10K miles on it. Rochester carb. I drive my truck like a 4 speed. Meaning I almost always start away from a stop using 1st gear. My bud "scott" on this board has always driven his truck like a 3 speed, meaning he starts from a stop in 2nd gear. What is everyone else doing? Seems like when I start in 2nd the motor lugs a bit until I get some momentum going. I've driven other 4 speeds, like the T-18 in my heep, that trying to use 1st on pavement is a waste of time. Does the average Series prefer/benefit one way or another from using 1st or 2nd or is it a matter of use whatever feels right?

Jeff

SafeAirOne
10-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Save your clutch--use 1st gear! When you start off in 2nd, the clutch has to slip more (and thereby wear more) to get it going without stalling. 1st in a rover isn't a "granny gear" like on the T18s/T98s.

That's my take on it, anyhow.

LaneRover
10-14-2009, 01:13 AM
I drive my 73 Ford F-250 like a 3 speed because 1st is a granny gear and you go about 10 ft before you need to change up. I also have an Isuzu Box truck that I drive the same way for the same reason.

My Rover's I drive like 4 speeds. Even when my 109 P-up had a fresh engine I drove it like a 4 speed.

If you really want to drive it like a 3 speed then go ahead, if you are worried about using up the clutch too quickly then learn to shift without the clutch going to 3rd or 4th.

One thing to think about, does your friend's Rover have smaller tires than your Rover? That could definitely effect things.

badvibes
10-14-2009, 02:09 AM
One thing to think about, does your friend's Rover have smaller tires than your Rover? That could definitely effect things.

We're both running 235 x 85 x 16s. Scott's truck definitely feels zippier than mine since his just completed rebuild with a 2.5 cam, bored cylinders, and shaved block. But even before these motor tweaks his truck seemed to run a bit better than mine. Guess I'm wondering if my use of 1st is "normal" and Scott is just lucky to have a better than average pulling truck or if using 2nd is what everybody can do and my truck isn't pulling what it should.

Jeff

Jim-ME
10-14-2009, 05:45 AM
I use all 4 gears unless I'm starting up on an enough of a hill that the Rover rolls when I take my foot off the brake then I start in second gear.
Jim

slorocco
10-14-2009, 07:01 AM
The rover trans is not a granny gear transmission. I always used it as a straight four speed unless I was in low range.

NickDawson
10-14-2009, 12:25 PM
If you really want to drive it like a 3 speed then go ahead, if you are worried about using up the clutch too quickly then learn to shift without the clutch going to 3rd or 4th.

Not to hijack... I used to always do that with manual transmissions growing up, but got out of the habit around the time I got my Disco... (coincidentally around the time I was totally on my own for repairs).

Is there any extra wear and tear shifting without the clutch? I guess you are not wearing the clutch, but what about the gears?

badvibes
10-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Is there any extra wear and tear shifting without the clutch? I guess you are not wearing the clutch, but what about the gears?

I don't float the gears when shifting, I always use the clutch. In fact I usually double clutch to 2nd until the tranny warms up and I usually double all downshifts. My tranny hasn't been rebuilt and I think the syncros to 3rd are worn. My impression is that it's best to use the clutch on syncromeshed gears but it's OK to float the gears on non-sycro gears. Thought I read that here on this board somewhere.....

ScottT
10-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Free wheel hubs or lack of can effect the feel of it. My 109 felt much "zippier" when I was running them, let alone unlocked.

truck definitely feels zippier than mine

badvibes
10-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Free wheel hubs or lack of can effect the feel of it. My 109 felt much "zippier" when I was running them, let alone unlocked.

We're both running free wheeling hubs.

Bud
10-14-2009, 02:11 PM
I always use the clutch, and I almost always double clutch as my synchros are pretty worn. -SIII

The discrepancy could be in the gear ratios that you and your friend have:
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/gear_ratio.htm

badvibes
10-14-2009, 02:16 PM
The discrepancy could be in the gear ratios that you and your friend have:

Hadn't thought of this. I'm assuming we both have 4.70 gears and similar tranny ratios but it's something to check out.

Bostonian1976
10-14-2009, 03:33 PM
I go first to third when I'm too lazy to double clutch

LaneRover
10-14-2009, 05:39 PM
I don't float the gears when shifting, I always use the clutch. In fact I usually double clutch to 2nd until the tranny warms up and I usually double all downshifts. My tranny hasn't been rebuilt and I think the syncros to 3rd are worn. My impression is that it's best to use the clutch on syncromeshed gears but it's OK to float the gears on non-sycro gears. Thought I read that here on this board somewhere.....

I can shift up into 2nd much better without the clutch than with. You just got to get the timing down. I shift without the clutch synchro or non-synchro. Years ago someone I knew said, you only need the clutch to get going from a stop. I do tend to use the clutch a bit more when downshifting.

Brent

gudjeon
10-14-2009, 06:34 PM
On the flat pavement I always start from 2nd. I can keep up relatively well with modern traffic. Have been doing this for ten years and two different rovers and never had to replace a clutch due to wear. I use first to start on an incline and when the engine hasn't warmed up yet. The low end is pretty good in these little lumps.:thumb-up:

Moose
10-14-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm with gudjeon on this one. Around town on the flat, I often start off in second. The engine seems to have the torque to easily pull away and no slipping of the clutch is required. I've been doing so since I got the truck way back in '84. Starting off on a grade, with a heavier load or with a trailer is always first gear.

One thing to note, the Series 3 has a 9.5 inch clutch while earlier vehicles have a 9 inch. Not a lot of difference but it would make the Series 3 clutch a bit more robust.

Brett

brucejohn
10-14-2009, 10:10 PM
In my 109 first feels better unless I am starting out headed down an incline.

I was taught like LaneRover, once moving no clutch unless down shifting then double clutch.

scott
10-15-2009, 09:37 AM
i rarely use 1st. like one of you guys said earlier, 1st whines out within 10 feet. even on uphill starts on pavement i fly off the line in 2nd. any extra wear this puts on my clutch is made up for by shifting less, no 1st to 2nd shifts.