PDA

View Full Version : Wobble in front wheel

bmohan55
10-14-2009, 10:08 AM
I was having a valve stem replaced the other day and the guy noticed that my front wheel pivots longitudinally at the swivel ball by about 3 inches. I can put my hands at the 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock position on the wheel and jerk the wheel and it will move outwards by about 3 inches pivoting at the swivel ball, my other wheel does the same but only about half as much. I don’t think it’s a wheel bearing as I get no latitudinal movement and my steering is as tight as my Miata’s, tracks straight and true with no wandering and no odd noises.. I’ve read thru the Green bible but as I know nothing about suspension and steering mechanisms (although I feel I’m about to learn) nothing jumped out at me. Any thoughts?

ScottT
10-14-2009, 11:00 AM
I had a little play in my left wheel. The eight bolts (four on top, four on bottom) that hold the pin in (they are shimmed) were loss becasue the PO hadn't bent the retaining plate/flange enough to keep them from spinning. I tightened them up and the movement disappeared.

I'm not sure if this is the issue but it is an easy thing to check.

Hope it helps

I was having a valve stem replaced the other day and the guy noticed that my front wheel pivots longitudinally at the swivel ball by about 3 inches. I can put my hands at the 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock position on the wheel and jerk the wheel and it will move outwards by about 3 inches pivoting at the swivel ball, my other wheel does the same but only about half as much. I don’t think it’s a wheel bearing as I get no latitudinal movement and my steering is as tight as my Miata’s, tracks straight and true with no wandering and no odd noises.. I’ve read thru the Green bible but as I know nothing about suspension and steering mechanisms (although I feel I’m about to learn) nothing jumped out at me. Any thoughts?

Les Parker
10-14-2009, 11:14 AM
The play that you speak of, is it with the wheels on the floor or on a hoist? Its probably the top swivels and lower bearings that have reached their sell by date.

pisten-bully
10-14-2009, 12:14 PM
The original wheels, 1971, that came on my Rover rusted from the inside out and visually wobbled, but it was difficult to see at first because we were looking elsewhere. You might check your wheels just to be sure.

bmohan55
10-14-2009, 01:45 PM
I first was made aware of this with the front end off the ground but I can wobble the wheel with effort with it sitting on the ground. My wheels are in good shape.

ScottT, I'll check those 8 bolts, hopefully that's all it is.

Les, looking at the Green Bible, is it the "lower swivel pin roller bearing and bearing track" and "Railo bushing housing" that you are refering to, section 60-1? I assume RN carriers these?

I know this is subjective but...how difficult of a job is this...for a and poor stubborn newbie! Also does having Selectro free wheeling hubs (not covered in the Green Bible) add anymore difficulty to this repair? Reading the Green bible, will I need a "ball joint extractor"?

thanks all for the quick replies!

brucejohn
10-14-2009, 01:52 PM
I read here in another thread that the wobble you describe is either the swivel house upper pin and lower bearing or pin, or the wheel bearings. With the wheel jacked up off the ground. Have someone apply the brakes, then try to wobble the wheel; if the wobble goes away it's the wheel bearings, if wobble stays time to rebuild the swivels.

Let us know what your find.

Mercedesrover
10-14-2009, 02:54 PM
and jerk the wheel and it will move outwards by about 3 inches pivoting at the swivel ball

3 inches?!?!?!

First of all, I hope you're not still driving this truck. Sounds like you're lucky you haven't killed yourself or anyone else yet.

Second, with play that severe it should be painfully obvious what is wrong with it. My first guess would be the top swivel pin worn, broken or missing altogether! Well, missing might be a longshot but this is an obvious problem. Jack it up, pull the wheels off and take a look. You won't need the green bible to find your trouble, but maybe you should bring a Lord's bible and pray a little bit for not crashing and burning already.

bmohan55
10-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Not 3" at the swivel ball itself, I'm talking of the deflection measured at the end of the tire, i was not very clear, sorry. I felt no play whatsoever in steering or tracking while driving, it was just happenstance that it was discovered yesterday while doing some tire work. While at MAR I recruited some Series "experts" to lookover my truck (I've never driven another and wanted to know how "right" I got mine) and after several test drives nobody picked up on any steering/suspension issues.

thanks for your concern, it's going in the garage tonight.

bmohan55
10-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Just went out to the truck and had a friend jerk on the wheel, I'm estimating less than 1/4" deflection at the swivel ball itself. Guess it's rebuild time.

FWTW, I would never knowlingly drive un unsafe vehicle.

Bob

Les Parker
10-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Here's an exploded diagram of the components of the front axle.
As has been said previously, RN does not recommend the fitment of free-wheels hubs, so this is an ideal time to swap to fixed drive flanges.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-68-swivel-ball.aspx

bmohan55
10-14-2009, 04:33 PM
I was thinking the same thing about the hubs, plus I can finally get rid of the axle grease in the balls and use 90 wt.! I'm checking now if one of my mechanic buddies here at work has space this weekend in his garage (avail myself to his expertise and tools). Be expecting a call tomorrow for parts.