PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Mountain spin on oil filter adapter

griswald
10-14-2009, 05:54 PM
The PO installed one of these on the rover...Can anyone tell me which way it should be installed?
Right now it looks like the oil pressure sending unit is pointed towards the firewall. Been like this since I owned truck, but now I am thinking it might have been installed incorrectly...New anti drain oil filter might be starving motor of oil?

Finally if that theory was correct, would their be oil flowing to the top of the cyl head? (I mean through the rocker shaft, etc...) cause it is...

Thanks!

TedW
10-14-2009, 07:54 PM
That's what my instructions said.

kevkon
10-14-2009, 07:55 PM
The adapter is pretty simple. Two ports to the block, an inlet and outlet and two external ports, one for the pressure switch and one for the (optional) pressure gauge sending unit.

scott
10-14-2009, 09:30 PM
it MATTERS!!!. i put mine on backwards. did it cuz the oil press sender was an easier reach with the port facing the bulkhead. drove for 2 years fine. put a new oil filter on (anti-back flow valve in it) roved less than 10 miles and it sieze. melted rod am main bearings. on the upside i got a new zippy rebuilt motor now

TJR
10-15-2009, 06:37 AM
it MATTERS!!!. i put mine on backwards. did it cuz the oil press sender was an easier reach with the port facing the bulkhead. drove for 2 years fine. put a new oil filter on (anti-back flow valve in it) roved less than 10 miles and it sieze. melted rod am main bearings. on the upside i got a new zippy rebuilt motor now

Yikes.. That's horrible

Does that also mean that the previously the oil was going through the filter in the wrong direction.. i.e from the center out, vs from the outside exiting from the threaded center hole?

scott
10-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Yikes.. That's horrible

Does that also mean that the previously the oil was going through the filter in the wrong direction.. i.e from the center out, vs from the outside exiting from the threaded center hole?

i guess it was. the really suck part of my story is that my adapter had "top" stamped on one side and "front" on the other and i ignored it.

TJR
10-15-2009, 09:58 AM
That Fram Filter looks shorter then a PH8A which is what I thought they are intended to use. Does the PH8A not fit well?

Leslie
10-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Fram's PH8 is the big ol' standard filter, then the PH16 is the same diameter/thread/etc., but is about half the length. A genuine Rover filter matches the PH8/PH16 diameter, but is in between the PH8 and the PH16 in length.

'Course, you have to learn all this about Fram sizing in getting things crossed over, but I won't use a Fram filter... Genuine, Purolator, Wix (NAPA), Crosland, but not a Fram..... FWIW, I usually use Purolator's L25195, but currently have a genuine on my spin-on adapter (ERR3340, if I remember correctly...)