PDA

View Full Version : 109 exhaust routing

NepentheSea
10-15-2009, 12:44 PM
This cant be the proper exhaust routing on my 109. Some dinkle PO made it like this just waiting for me to crush it flat when I high center on something. Anyone have a pic of the way its should be?
Thanks!!
-Will

daveb
10-15-2009, 01:40 PM
err...looks about right actually. but its just a bit of metal, you can always go custom. later trucks had holes in the crossmembers to allow the exhaust to pass through.

This cant be the proper exhaust routing on my 109. Some dinkle PO made it like this just waiting for me to crush it flat when I high center on something. Anyone have a pic of the way its should be?
Thanks!!
-Will

brucejohn
10-15-2009, 04:06 PM
I thought the same thing when I first got my 109, but looking at the stainless one offered through RN that appears to be the routing.

Some I have seen a little different in that they leave the manifold, go under the bellhousing crossmember, rise over the transmission mounts/crossmember, go back down and under the remaining rear crossmembers. Not really much better and likely adding a bit of heat to transmission and passenger compartments.

I am looking for a better way, please post when you figure it out.

SafeAirOne
10-15-2009, 06:42 PM
That's generaly what my former 6-cyl exhaust routing looks like, though when I put the 2.5 in, I put the elbow higher on the downpipe so that evrything sits closer to the floorboards on the way back. Probably doesn't hurt that the downpipe on the 2.5 is on the insde of the chassis rails, too.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2762/4014824795_938d1f9559.jpg

NepentheSea
10-15-2009, 09:10 PM
What?!:sly:
Im really surprised at this. I cant believe that Land Rover would route an exhaust this way on an off road vehicle. Its just asking to be crushed, or be leveraged up and crack my exhaust manifold. Im not happy about it like that at all. I'll have to change it soon.

Mark- youre right. Ive noticed that it would have been much better if the manifold ended inside the frame. Just another reason to swap in a 2.25. The only con so far is loosing the neck snapping power of my 2.6. Heh.

Thanks for the replies!

lstrvr
10-16-2009, 10:54 PM
They've been doing it like that forever and surprisingly enough I've never really heard it as an issue and over the amount of time that these vehicles have been scrutinized, you think it would be pointed out all over the place! I spent a ton of time on my custom set-up to do better and ended up with damn near the exact same thing! It's tough to route it any better way. Particularly if you've begun the process of adding any other frame mounted accessories. You may be able to tuck it up tighter if you start cutting through outriggers etc. but otherwise it is like it is out of a result of the frame design.