PDA

View Full Version : Say Hello to my new ZENITH!

greasyhandsagain
10-15-2009, 12:49 PM
When I got my 58 S2 it had the weber carb on it. Soon thereafter, the float inside somehow broke from the linkage...and I done a rather 'home' repair on it, which always held together (fingers crossed though). Recently, the choke spring broke, plus the fact this carb had always ran too rich and my plugs were soot covered most of the time...along with the inside of the tailpipe full of carbon. Not to mention the nasty exhaust smell..........

So.... Off with the New and Improved, and back to original equipment.

I just got in a brand spanking new Zenith...and the weber is going to go into the spare parts locker as soon as this nasty 4 day rainstorm is over.

Hopefully the 2 litre engine will enjoy its new carb, and run smoother, and get better mileage. Maybe I can even get a MPH or more top end!!

there is something beautiful in a brand new carb :-)

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg204/ambro51/006-3.jpghttp://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg204/ambro51/020-1.jpg

NickDawson
10-15-2009, 01:48 PM
wait, where are the electric solenoids? :D

Congrats, very shiny! Anxious to hear about the install and results

gudjeon
10-15-2009, 02:05 PM
I love those little 36IV's, I can fix them with my eyes closed- because I've had to do so many times. I have always managed to sort them out when they get cranky.:thumb-up:

Les Parker
10-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Yes, please send some pix of a 36IV fitted to a 2.0 engine, I would be interested to see how that is fitted.

:cool:

greasyhandsagain
10-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Well...it will take a little work. First, the studs on the intake orient in the opposite direction from the Zenith...they are crosswise to the vehicle.
The zenith runs longways. So...a chance to do a bit of machine work here, Ive ordered a 1 inch thick 4 inch wide disc of aluminum, which needs to be shaped into a plate with 4 holes, 2 which are studs, and 2 that are thinned to allow attachment to the manifold, Under this block will be an insulator piece, making this from 5/8 garolite, which is a phelonic material. The bore of the carb will be extended down though a large central hole. Ive got the equipment here at my shop to do this, shouldnt be too difficult. Since this will sit higher, the accelerator control rod needs to be modified. Ill use most of the existing setup, but will make a longer rod piece that extends the linkage upwards as high as the new carb will sit. Unless I run into obscure british threads...this shouldnt be too difficult. At worst, Ill replicate most of the part, except for the ball ends which Im sure can be reused.

Other than that, I dont see any difficult here. At least...a lot easier than figuring out complex electonic glitches on a Range Rover!

Just need this pesky 4 day rainstorm to get out of dodge here...and then a pleasant afternoon of tinkering!

I really *really* enjoy doing things like this on the Rover.

gudjeon
10-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Aahh. I still remember my first new Zenith. New carb smell:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/gudjeon/Jan2007011.jpg

I used it to replace the Zenith 36IV that I found at my auto wrecker. I thought i was onto something until it wouldn't run worth a darn. It turns out it was from a Vauxhaull Victor 1600cc. No wonder. It looked identical on the outside.:eek:

greasyhandsagain
10-15-2009, 07:53 PM
The more I look at this..the more I suspect it may not be suitable linkage wise. I know some adaption will be needed, but just cant get it all straight in my head without really taking a good hard look. Darn rain.....just cant get in there to really study things but if it dosent work out, well it just goes back. I dont want to butcher anything.

ktom300
10-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Mine works great. I can take some pics of linkage if you want. Let me know

greasyhandsagain
10-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Yup thAt would be great. Also how did you route the choke control cable

I Leak Oil
10-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Is that a real Zenith or one of the knockoff versions?

Bertha
10-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Why not buy the correct Solex that belongs on the truck and not have to worry about modifying anything?http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

greasyhandsagain
10-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Yes...sent it back.

Ill give whats on the engine another whirl. Probably think about rejetting, and then checking on the float repair...and doing a better repair on the choke.

Hey, live and Learn. Moral of the story...even though you can buy parts QUICK on the internet, that dosent mean they will FIT!

Nium
10-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Why did you send it back you can buy Duck Tape at Home Depot? :p

greasyhandsagain
10-16-2009, 07:06 PM
...cause is not Duck season yet!

Bertha
10-17-2009, 12:00 PM
I may have an extra used solex laying around. If you are interested PM me

greasyhandsagain
10-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Well Im gonna give then thingy on there a second chance. Seems to be working just fine today, after a little adjustment.

Darn rainstorm.....Id love to mess with the choke adjustment control a little but.........

xsbowes
10-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Why not buy the correct Solex that belongs on the truck and not have to worry about modifying anything?http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Why not buy the correct truck that goes with the Zenith also?

greasyhandsagain
10-17-2009, 05:10 PM
I dont think Im going to change a thing here. Just took my future son in law for about a 5 mile trail ride....complete with cross axle ditches, nearly 2 foot deep water, a nasty steep decline into a muddy pit...all during a pouring rain.....and the rover behaved flawlessly.

...it dosent seem to want any alterations to the basic vehicle at this point!! When we got back, his first words to my daughter "I WANT ONE!!!!!!"

(I snuck him an old copy of LROI before they left!)