PDA

View Full Version : Manufacturer of ProLine

Nium
10-15-2009, 07:46 PM
The title pretty much says it all. I've done a number of searches on line to figure out the manufacturer of ProLine parts and haven't been able to find anything. In fact most of the time ProLine searches bring up a roof top rack company. Curiosity is getting the better of me.

Cheers!

rbonnett
10-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Hopefully I'm not talking thru my hat here...

ProLine is RN's rebranding of parts from a variety of sources. I've seen differing opinions here about them, but my experience has all been good.

brucejohn
10-16-2009, 05:03 AM
From the Why Choose Rovers North page:

Proline: What is ProLine? ProLine is the perfect intersection of Rovers North's philosophy of providing the best parts at the best prices with unparalleled customer service.

Not all aftermarket parts that meet OEM specifications are created equally! With the variety of non-genuine parts available, separating the inexpensive high-quality parts from the cheap junk can be a time consuming, expensive and frustrating endeavor. ProLine is Rover North's solution: We tested the best parts from a multitude of manufacturers and selected only the finest to sell as Rovers North ProLine. Every ProLine part meets our exacting criteria of performance and quality at the best price and like everything else we sell, all ProLine parts are backed by our exclusive one year unlimited mileage guarantee against manufacturers defects.

RN doesn't even try to really rebrand or private label the parts as Proline. Just their selection of economical, trusted non OEM parts they would be willing to install on their own vehicles.

If it helps, right now I have Allmakes 4x4 brake drums "Proline" right in the Allmakes 4x4 boxes I received last week.

Bertha
10-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Proline isn't any one specific brand, it is word RN came up with to offer an alternative part to genuine at a more competitive price. In some cases when you order a proline part, you get the same part as a genuine one without the Land Rover packaging(and price). FWIW, I have yet to have a problem with a Proline part.

Nium
10-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the replies. That explains why I couldn't find a manufacturer on-line. I figured RN wouldn't carry poor quality parts so good to know experiences people have had.

Cheers! :thumb-up:

adkrover
10-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Another thumbs up for Proline.

ArlowCT
10-17-2009, 11:00 PM
To start this off right, I buy Proline anytime I can. If it is offered I will pick that over the genuine 99% of the time and I will contine to do so.

Just before leaving for the MAR this year I was trying to track down a bad shaking that came in at speeds over 65. In a last ditch effort I pulled my front drive shaft (proline) that I bought about three years ago. The shaft has no more than 3500 miles on it and should be in great shape (btw I don't have locking hubs). I was surprised to find some slop in the slip joint but the U joints felt pretty good. The truck drove great without the shaft.

Showed it to a friend and he double checked my work and made sure the factory marks were lined up and assembled right, it was. He than laid it on the bench resting on the two end caps for the main tube and it would rock back and forth!?!? We took it apart rotated it 180 degrees set it on the bench and it sat perfectly flat.

So right from the factory the marks were put on and it was balanced 180 degrees out of wack. This caused a slight bind in the shaft causing it to ware the slip joint. With the shaft lined up right the front end still shakes so I guess it's time for a new drive shaft.

So I guess the moral of the story is, when you have the nice new part in your hands take a good hard look at it and double check everything. I know I will when I place my order for my new Proline drive shaft.

tmckeon88
10-18-2009, 05:18 PM
So far I haven't had a problem with any Proline part I've bought - brakes, electrics, seals, etc. My own incompetence as a mechanic usually outweighs any defect in manufacturing! :o

Tom

SafeAirOne
10-18-2009, 09:07 PM
If I might just add something here...I just bought a ProLine clutch slave cylinder from RN, which I am quite happy with. The only thing I noticed is the box that it came in. It is labeled SLAVE CYLINDER GIRLING on the Rovers North stock tag and has a ProLine label under that and comes in a box that says R.I.L in the middle of the union jack and has genuine parts printed all over the box.

I don't really care about the box, so long as the part is a quality part that'll last, but I AM baffled about exactly what it is that I have here. I did order the ProLine slave...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2542/4024754670_1074a7a826.jpg