PDA

View Full Version : Mildew on my top

Firemanshort
10-16-2009, 09:23 AM
I have a Exmoor Trim brand canvas top for a Series 109. The canvas is a few years old and has been mostly outside year round. I have not given the top any care other than the odd hose off.

It is starting to show mildew on the top / roof surface (the sides stay rolled up 99% of the time and they look pristine). I am seeking advice on a clean up procedure to remove the mildew and how best to protect / re-waterproof the canvas.

My starting plan is to take the top off the truck and lay it out on some clean pavement and scrub it really good with a stiff brush and some dish soap (like Dawn or Joy). I may even power wash it. Then I would set it up to dry. Once it is absolutely dry, I will treat it with something. I was told a product called CANVAC was the way to go - but I do not know wher I can buy that or how to apply it.

So, What does the campfire think of those ideas?

greenmeanie
10-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Do NOT pressure wash your canvas as it will strip the dye out of it. I managed to finally destroy a 101 tilt that way. Its also an easy way to damage the tapes along the seams.

Mild soap and a brush is the way to clean it. I would probably hang it back on the truck with all the straps done to dry as it will help it regain its shape after washing.

Some of the wax based waterproofers tend to leave black marks where things rub if you roll up the sides a lot.

TedW
10-16-2009, 10:20 AM
I was told a product called CANVAC was the way to go - but I do not know wher I can buy that or how to apply it.

Our hosts sell Canvak - with handy application instructions printed right on the jug.

thixon
10-16-2009, 10:23 AM
It's been a decade or so, but seem to recall having good luck with Tide and a soft scrub brush.

X2 on hanging it on the truck to dry.

Firemanshort
10-24-2009, 09:40 PM
I took the top off and scrubbed it. I used Dawn dish soap and a stiff brisel brush. The photo is an "after cleaning" photo.

What is the next suggestion? Do I need a midicide? Don't they contain bleach? Wouldn't bleach destroy the canvas?

NickDawson
10-24-2009, 10:29 PM
try some TSP diluted in water - that took the mildew off my hard top, terk decking, patio, siding, dock.... :)
Pretty sure TSP doesnt bleach but you might read up and test an unexposed area to be sure.

rwollschlager
10-25-2009, 07:05 AM
IIRC one person on the boards drove his truck to the dry cleaners, removed the top where they washed it in one of their industrial washing machines and they gave it back to him to air dry and stretch out back on the truck.

A good friend of mine is a revolutionary war re-in-actor, and he uses thompsons water seal (the stuff for decks) on his canvas tents for years. A big old millitary tent is far off from a LR canvas on some days...

Firemanshort
10-26-2009, 08:42 AM
This is what I got back from Exmoor directly...

Hello David

Clean water and a brush is often the best option for cleaning a canvas hood and removing mildew. If this is not enough, you may like to use a product called "Nikwax", available from most camping stores ( Millets etc ). There are several types to use from canvas wash to re-waterproofed.

Please note, always read the instructions for each product and always keep a wet canvas hood under tension to stop it shrinking !

Regards,

ExmoorTrim™

Nick Blackshaw
Sales Administrator
Trakkers House,
Roughmoor Trading Estate,
Williton,
Somerset UK. TA4 4RF

t: +44 (0)1984 635067

f: +44 (0)1984 633539
e: nick@exmoortrim.co.uk
w: www.exmoortrim.co.uk (http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk)

I have used NIKWAX products to clean my camping supplies - I am not sure this has what it takes to knock out the mildew....,

thixon
10-26-2009, 10:48 AM
I found a couple of posts about cleaning canvass camping gear that suggested using a solution of rubbing alchohol and water (50/50) to remove mildew. Try googling it and see what you get back.

vansdonk
10-26-2009, 12:23 PM
What about using a diluted mixture of Round Up and then weatherproofing after removal of mildew. Round Up kills EVERYTHING!!!! And I don't think it is too harmful for the canvas. Also, baking soda is a good mildew remover. Just make a paste with water, apply, and use a soft brush to rub it in and then rinse well with water or you will have the white deposits.

LC_rover
10-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Oxyclean?

Here are some other remedies I have seen. Pretreat with one of the following...

Alcohol + Detergent + Water

or

Lemon Juice + Salt + Water into a paste

After letting one of those set a while, then try to scrub with your brush and detergent again.

Good Luck.

jgkmmoore
10-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Since you be a Fireperson, why not go 'monochromatic', defy custom, and paint your wheels same red as body? HOTTTTT!:D:cool::thumb-up: