PDA

View Full Version : Turns over but does not start

privanon
10-20-2009, 12:03 PM
I was gone for a year and the truck was sitting in covered storage for a year. Before I left I filed the tank completely and added two cans of fuel stabilizer. After getting back the truck turned over and started with lots of smoke. I drove it about 60 miles without any major issues other than an occasional backfire. Now it no longer starts but it does turn over. I replaced: rotor, cap, coil and wires. Unfortunately I did not have a set of new points or spark plugs on hand ( they should show up any day now). The tank is still 3/4 full of the old gas.
I am not a professional mechanic as you may be able to tell by my description of the problem.

greasyhandsagain
10-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Would like it if your wife served you a meal of year and a half old food?

Dump that old petrol and get some fresh premium in there. Buy a can of starting fluid (ether) and shoot some of that into the carb. Before you do that, at least pull your old plugs out, and take a good look at them. If they are carboned all up....clean them or get new plugs.

Dont forget to have a well charged battery and to set the choke, put her in neutral and stomp down on the clutch.

Say three times "Please, Rover, Run!" "Please, Rover, Run!" "Please, Rover, Run!"

Inhale deeply, and exhale...........now turn the key.

Prepare to hear your engine running at that point.

KevinNY
10-20-2009, 12:52 PM
If you overloaded it with fuel stabilizer your plugs may be fouled, pull one and check.

bmohan55
10-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Say three times "Please, Rover, Run!" "Please, Rover, Run!" "Please, Rover, Run!"

That's my problem, I forget to say please! Momma would be so disappointed in me.

stomper
10-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Since you ran it on old gas for 60 miles, you might want to replace the inline fuel filter as well as replacing the gas. It is probably clogged up from the sitting and the stabilizer also. Also as mentioned before, check the plugs. either no spark, or no fuel are the most likely problems.

privanon
10-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Since you ran it on old gas for 60 miles, you might want to replace the inline fuel filter as well as replacing the gas. It is probably clogged up from the sitting and the stabilizer also. Also as mentioned before, check the plugs. either no spark, or no fuel are the most likely problems.

Could corroded points cause the issue as well?

I just ordered some sort of electronic/magnetic point replacment from Pertronix (I believe that was the company) would that help?

Also how does one get the old fuel out of the tank? Is there an easy way?

Nium
10-20-2009, 04:04 PM
3 things needed to make engine run...

Air, Fuel, Spark

Take one away and = no go.

If you drain the gas Premium wouldn't be better then Regular in fact Regular would be better then Premium for a Land Rover. More explosive and all.

Corroded points can very easily cause the rig not to run. Poorly adjusted points can cause the rig not to run. Pertronix ignition can certainly help to not have to worry about adjusting points.

Better and more accurate advice is usually given if you also provide
Year of Landy
Engine displacement of Landy (ie 2.25L, 2.5L etc.)
88 or 109

Cheers and Welcome Aboard!

privanon
10-20-2009, 04:58 PM
3 things needed to make engine run...

Air, Fuel, Spark

Take one away and = no go.

If you drain the gas Premium wouldn't be better then Regular in fact Regular would be better then Premium for a Land Rover. More explosive and all.

Corroded points can very easily cause the rig not to run. Poorly adjusted points can cause the rig not to run. Pertronix ignition can certainly help to not have to worry about adjusting points.

Better and more accurate advice is usually given if you also provide
Year of Landy
Engine displacement of Landy (ie 2.25L, 2.5L etc.)
88 or 109

Cheers and Welcome Aboard!

Thank you for the advice it is a 1978 109 2.25 petrol (German Export Version)

I have some sort of aftermarket tank without a drain plug. The pictures I have seen indicate that I should have a drain plug.

scott
10-20-2009, 05:01 PM
...Also how does one get the old fuel out of the tank? Is there an easy way?

it depends on whether it's an 88 or 109 but only if you're going to pull out the 45 and pop a round in it.

the tanks have drain plugs on the underside, just make sure you have enough volume in the catch container

but i'd put in some new points or at least file the contact lightly and regap 'em first

greasyhandsagain
10-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Drain plugs on old tanks can corrode in....and be nearly impossible to remove with any common tool. You can easily lift the seat, and unscrew the two screws that hold in the fuel pick up pipe. Withdraw that carefully (look out for the screen on the end) and then put a plastic hose in and siphon it out.

I Leak Oil
10-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Easy to prove out the gas theory. Stick the pickup side of the fuel line in a container of new gas and see if it will start and run. If it does you've found out that it's most likely just bad gas in the tank. No need to drain it if it's not the gas that's bad.

privanon
10-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Easy to prove out the gas theory. Stick the pickup side of the fuel line in a container of new gas and see if it will start and run. If it does you've found out that it's most likely just bad gas in the tank. No need to drain it if it's not the gas that's bad.

Thank you for all of the responses. I ended up changing the spark plugs and the points this morning and it started right up. It is actually running really well now. I looked into draining the fuel but that turned out to be more difficult than anticipated since I don't really have a place to dump it into.

Nium
10-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Right on! Glad you're back up and running.

As long as you run points always verify the points are adjusted properly and in good condition, and the low tension lead too, before replacing or troubleshooting any other part(s). More then likely you didn't need to replace anything. The points probably just needed to be adjusted. I've always found that if the Landy was running then all of a sudden it doesn't the points are usually begging for attention. At least that's my 2 cents worth.

Cheers!