PDA

View Full Version : Running a wiring harness on a Marsland

crankin
10-20-2009, 01:17 PM
This Thursday I am planning on running the wiring harness on my SIII. I am curious to know how this will all look. Does anyone have any pics?

thixon
10-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Clint,

Although not totally stock, roverhaul.com has some decent photos.

Bertha
10-20-2009, 03:07 PM
There is not much to see as the harness runs through the frame. Try and get a good electricians snake to pull the harness through. I believe the home stores sell one that coils up like a tape measure.

pisten-bully
10-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Snake would be nice, but you don't really need one. If you cannot borrow one, and if you don't anticipate ever needing one, then give it a shot without a snake and save a few $$. Hope it goes as easy for you as it did for us... (we've done it a few times without a snake, still don't own one).

Bertha
10-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Snake would be nice, but you don't really need one. If you cannot borrow one, and if you don't anticipate ever needing one, then give it a shot without a snake and save a few $$. Hope it goes as easy for you as it did for us... (we've done it a few times without a snake, still don't own one).

At under $10.00, I am not sure it would be worth the aggrevation to not have one but to each his own...I guess.

crankin
10-20-2009, 06:52 PM
We have a snake tape at work that I am taking home with me tomorrow. I missing out on URE to but the little guy back together. Hopefully, I will have everything back together by Saturay....hopefully.

Broadstone
10-20-2009, 07:41 PM
I just let a bunch of wire out of my mig welder and send it through the frame and pull the harness. Works great I did it a few times.

crankin
10-21-2009, 08:00 PM
So, I am trying this and finding myself scratching my head on how the main harness runs through the engine bay. I have went to roverhaul...but since mine is a SIII...I am not have much luck. I also, have looked at the line drawing that our host provides…but it doesn’t really help clear up the placement of everything…

Any suggestions, ideas, hints, etc...

Nium
10-21-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm not sure how much of the old wire you've already pulled out but using old wire to fish in the new wire is the easiest way to go plus you can make sure to get the right part of the harness in the right place. A piece of card board stuck in a hole will keep wires from being nicked on sharp metal edges. Roll the cardboard into a cone and insert partially in hole. Put rubber grommets in holes of firewall before pulling wires through holes of firewall :).

If it helps at all here's a link to a website with downloads of the Series III Workshop manuals...
http://www.landroverweb.com/Land-Rover-Range-Rover-manual-pdf.htm

I can't help it, but being an electrician, a snake is used to remove clogs from plumbing and an electrician's fish tape (metal or fiberglass) is used to fish wires in places that are inaccesible.:D

crankin
10-22-2009, 12:04 AM
It would be wonderful if I still had the old frame...and the old harness. The PO really did a number on the old harness and the frame was rusted through.

I have also looked through the workshop manuals...but they do not really show enough detail.

New frame...new harness.
I’ll have it and hope for the best.

I Leak Oil
10-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Tape up the end of the harness that's entering the frame so it's one piece i.e. no offshoots sticking out. Think of it like having a baby, head first is easier than feet first. Start at the front, push the harness in until you can see it at the exit hole in the rear. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to grab it enough to pull it out by hand. Takes less than 5 minutes.

jac04
10-22-2009, 07:01 AM
Having just done this, I suggest feeding the harness in from the rear - it will be much easier.

kevkon
10-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Clint, if the body isn't yet on the frame it's pretty simple. One trick we use on more difficult jobs is to use a shop vac and a string. But the Rover is a pretty straight shot. Do yourself a favor though, and add a 14ga wire to the harness in case want to add additional lights in the future ( I added KC back-up lights).

TJR
10-22-2009, 11:06 AM
So, I am trying this and finding myself scratching my head on how the main harness runs through the engine bay. I have went to roverhaul...but since mine is a SIII...I am not have much luck. I also, have looked at the line drawing that our host provides…but it doesn’t really help clear up the placement of everything…

Any suggestions, ideas, hints, etc...

Hello.. I may have what you need. I took a bunch of pics of my SIII when I pulled the firewall (bulkhead) apart a few years back. I can create a google pics album later today. ...Talbot

TJR
10-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Hello.. I may have what you need. I took a bunch of pics of my SIII when I pulled the firewall (bulkhead) apart a few years back. I can create a google pics album later today. ...Talbot

OK , here ya go! Follow the links to some google web albums loaded with ref pics of my 1973 SerIII 88 (stock) as I tore it apart. These were taken as my "decoder ring" for when the time comes to re-assemble it all.

(click on the pics to get full size and then you can pan around if needed)

==>Chassis
http://picasaweb.google.com/88seriesiii/Old_chassis?authkey=Gv1sRgCOe6gcvq9pGfLQ&feat=directlink

==>Bulkhead
http://picasaweb.google.com/88seriesiii/Bulkhead?authkey=Gv1sRgCLjeqLLq4vKPqwE&feat=directlink

Maybe something in these pics will help you out.
... Talbot

pisten-bully
10-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Do yourself a favor though, and add a 14ga wire to the harness in case want to add additional lights in the future ( I added KC back-up lights).
That's a great idea! Or, for trailer wiring add a few more! (Of course, my trailer wiring does not run through the frame... because I didn't think ahead!) :p

crankin
10-23-2009, 12:39 AM
Thanks guys,
The rear harness is in (and kevkon i did run an extra wire...thanks for that one). Working on the main harness in the morning.

Talbot ,
Beautiful, I will crawl through the pics and gain some knowledge.

crankin
10-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Everything is coming along quite nicely. However, I've got a quick stupid question...the heater control cable (part # 347940) where does the other end connect to...not the end that connects to the control lever? This is the cable longer cable....not the cable that controlsthe flaps.

kevkon
10-25-2009, 08:07 AM
That goes thru the firewall to the front of the engine where it controls the heat regulator valve.