X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bertha
    3rd Gear
    • Nov 2007

Is This For Real????

The other day a friend of mine stopped by to see my 71 2a 88" that I am just about finished with. He is not much of a Rover guy, but he is into cars. The next day he calls me up and tells me how my truck must be worth $80k+. I said you are on drugs, I would barely be able to get 1/3 of that if I am lucky. I asked him where he got this ridiculous figure from and low and behold he sends me this link:
    http://www.land-roverco.com./vehicle_71softtop.htm

I am in shock. Yes anyone could ask anything they want, but is there really someone out there that will really pay anything near this amount for this truck? How do you spend 30k on a paint job for a Rover? I realize that he is not asking the 80k+ for the blue one pictured, but one could only guess what he values that one at.
    The most amusing part of the whole thing is how this guy picks apart some other truck in the pictures on his website when the one he is selling is nowhere near perfect-just look at the engine bay. BTW-since when has a Rover been at Pebble Beach? Based on arrogance alone, I can't see how anyone would ever deal with this guy.
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)
  • TedW
    5th Gear
    • Feb 2007

I hope Charles gets every nickle.

A typical example of him taking things to extremes. Gotta love the product, though!

Comment

• Nium
      4th Gear
      • Aug 2009

The ad seems to indicate he's restoring another Landy that will cost $88k not the one in the pics. I think the Pebble Beach reference was to the fact the seats were reupholstered in leather by a fellow that had won awards at Pebble Beach.

I have no comment about the air of arrogance the restorer seems to exude and the implied contempt for any one that wouldn't restore a Rover to his assumed level of expertise.
      Walker
      1968 Series IIA-"Ronnie"
      88" SW, 2.25L Petrol, LHD

Comment

• Bertha
        3rd Gear
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Nium
        The ad seems to indicate he's restoring another Landy that will cost $88k not the one in the pics..
        I believe I acknowledged that in my post.

Originally posted by Nium
        I think the Pebble Beach reference was to the fact the seats were reupholstered in leather by a fellow that had won awards at Pebble Beach.
        My mistake on that one.
        1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
        1971 88 (restored and as new)
        1967 88 (the next project)

Comment

• griswald
          1st Gear
          • Mar 2008

Boy is this going to be good, short though I am sure it will get locked.

I have seen this truck and it is beautiful...but it is only worth what someone will pay for it.

And it is a Land Rover not a Bugatti.

PM offline for more juice.

Best,
          Griswald
          (Somewhere near Olympia, Wa...)

Comment

• Nium
            4th Gear
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Bertha
            I realize that he is not asking the 80k+ for the blue one pictured, but one could only guess what he values that one at.
            My apologies Bertha my fingers got away from me.
            Walker
            1968 Series IIA-"Ronnie"
            88" SW, 2.25L Petrol, LHD

Comment

• Daurie
              2nd Gear
              • Nov 2007

I've dealy with this guy before on small things and lemme tell ya he is proud of his stuff. He really does come off as holier than thou. I mean if you cant make your rover look like one of his (or pay him to LOL!!) then you just have no business owning one.
              '73 SIII 88"
              Turner 8:1 Engine
              NRP Exhaust
              Roverdrive
              RM Parabolics
              OME Shocks
              Warn 8274
              Pangolin4X4 bumper

Comment

• vansdonk
                Low Range
                • Oct 2008

This was the guy that I posted about in the general forum. We were down that way last weekend and we were going to stop by. But the kids would have killed me for making them leave the water park to look at Rovers. LOL. We are going back down to Tahuya this weekend and it's just alittle bit farther to that place. Was thinking about checking out that $88K rover.
                Kristi
                1969 Series IIa 109
                1970 Series Wagon
                1974 1/2 MGB
                2004 Disco II-last of her kind

Comment

• Blueboy
                  1st Gear
                  • Apr 2008

Regrettably, the vast majority of the original sixes have now suffered catastrophic engine conversions
                  yep, that would sum up my 109 - a catastrophic engine conversion to a LR 4.0 V8!

Jaime
                  One Life Live It

Comment

• greasyhandsagain
                    1st Gear
                    • Oct 2009

Its a beautiful restoration...perhaps TOO beautiful. How can it ever be 'used and enjoyed' as a real Land Rover should?

...he even imported actual British air to be pumped into the tires :-)

Comment

• brucejohn
                      2nd Gear
                      • Jul 2009

It would be great to have a very nicely restored Landy, though I doubt any of these will ever be too busy to pickup an Oscar.
                      1982 SIII 109 RHD petrol project.

Comment

• griswald
                        1st Gear
                        • Mar 2008

cornflake...

Comment

• thixon
                          5th Gear
                          • Jul 2007

Tell you what guys, I'll do everyone here a favor. I'll be glad to paint everyones rover on this board for the bargain price of $20,000. I promise you'll get the same quality, but at $10,000 less. In fact, I'll go one better. To the first 10 who sign up, I'll go ahead and restore your rovers to the same quality for a mere $60,000 a pop.

Honestly though, the guy will probably find someone to bite. Heck, I know some guys who would bite if I recommended the buy. A guy I do business with in Michigan supposedly paid over $400,000 for one of the two Monkey's GTO's. Another guy I do business iwth in the UK routinely buys brit cars back from the states after I look at them for him. He overpays almost every time, but does'nt care if he gets what he wants. These guys live in a different world. Remember the scene in Caddy Shack where the chick shows up at Chevy's house and finds a bunch of uncashed checks for five figures?!
                          Travis
                          '66 IIa 88

Comment

• jac04
                            Overdrive
                            • Feb 2007

I think that it's important to remember that anyone trying to make a living restoring & selling Land Rovers needs to get a decent amount of money for them. I'm not saying I would pay $80k, but I don't think that you should expect to be able to buy a professionally restored Rover for $25k. Heck, I'm into my Lightweight 'refurbushment' for over $25k in parts and I've put about 1000 hours into it. At $10/hr, it's a $35k vehicle and I certainly wouldn't consider selling it for less than that. Now consider a professional shop charging a very reasonable $50/hour........

Comment

• jb_
                              Low Range
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by jac04
                              I think that it's important to remember that anyone trying to make a living restoring & selling Land Rovers needs to get a decent amount of money for them. I'm not saying I would pay $80k, but I don't think that you should expect to be able to buy a professionally restored Rover for $25k. Heck, I'm into my Lightweight 'refurbushment' for over $25k in parts and I've put about 1000 hours into it. At $10/hr, it's a $35k vehicle and I certainly wouldn't consider selling it for less than that. Now consider a professional shop charging a very reasonable $50/hour........
                              Wow. I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay that much for a Series.

At the end of the day, it is still a Land Rover.

The guy in the link has a paint job of more than $30K. Talk about over capitalizing a vehicle!

I guess it comes down to a labour of love. I can't fault jac04 on the quality of his restoration or the passion that is going in to it, but I just can't imagine why anyone would pay that sort of money for a Land Rover that is still expected to leak oil and is sh*t to drive.
                              '74 Series III 109" RHD
                              The Chaffcutter (choof choof phut phut)

Comment

Working...