PDA

View Full Version : Is This For Real????

Bertha
10-20-2009, 03:33 PM
The other day a friend of mine stopped by to see my 71 2a 88" that I am just about finished with. He is not much of a Rover guy, but he is into cars. The next day he calls me up and tells me how my truck must be worth $80k+. I said you are on drugs, I would barely be able to get 1/3 of that if I am lucky. I asked him where he got this ridiculous figure from and low and behold he sends me this link:
http://www.land-roverco.com./vehicle_71softtop.htm

I am in shock. Yes anyone could ask anything they want, but is there really someone out there that will really pay anything near this amount for this truck? How do you spend 30k on a paint job for a Rover? I realize that he is not asking the 80k+ for the blue one pictured, but one could only guess what he values that one at.
The most amusing part of the whole thing is how this guy picks apart some other truck in the pictures on his website when the one he is selling is nowhere near perfect-just look at the engine bay. BTW-since when has a Rover been at Pebble Beach? Based on arrogance alone, I can't see how anyone would ever deal with this guy.

TedW
10-20-2009, 03:48 PM
A typical example of him taking things to extremes. Gotta love the product, though!

Nium
10-20-2009, 03:54 PM
The ad seems to indicate he's restoring another Landy that will cost $88k not the one in the pics. I think the Pebble Beach reference was to the fact the seats were reupholstered in leather by a fellow that had won awards at Pebble Beach.

I have no comment about the air of arrogance the restorer seems to exude and the implied contempt for any one that wouldn't restore a Rover to his assumed level of expertise.

Bertha
10-20-2009, 04:16 PM
The ad seems to indicate he's restoring another Landy that will cost $88k not the one in the pics..
I believe I acknowledged that in my post.

I think the Pebble Beach reference was to the fact the seats were reupholstered in leather by a fellow that had won awards at Pebble Beach. My mistake on that one.

griswald
10-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Boy is this going to be good, short though I am sure it will get locked.

I have seen this truck and it is beautiful...but it is only worth what someone will pay for it.

And it is a Land Rover not a Bugatti.

PM offline for more juice.

Best,
Griswald
(Somewhere near Olympia, Wa...)

Nium
10-20-2009, 04:23 PM
I realize that he is not asking the 80k+ for the blue one pictured, but one could only guess what he values that one at.

My apologies Bertha my fingers got away from me. :)

Daurie
10-20-2009, 04:29 PM
I've dealy with this guy before on small things and lemme tell ya he is proud of his stuff. He really does come off as holier than thou. I mean if you cant make your rover look like one of his (or pay him to LOL!!) then you just have no business owning one.

vansdonk
10-20-2009, 04:54 PM
This was the guy that I posted about in the general forum. We were down that way last weekend and we were going to stop by. But the kids would have killed me for making them leave the water park to look at Rovers. LOL. We are going back down to Tahuya this weekend and it's just alittle bit farther to that place. Was thinking about checking out that $88K rover.

Blueboy
10-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Regrettably, the vast majority of the original sixes have now suffered catastrophic engine conversions

yep, that would sum up my 109 - a catastrophic engine conversion to a LR 4.0 V8!

Jaime

greasyhandsagain
10-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Its a beautiful restoration...perhaps TOO beautiful. How can it ever be 'used and enjoyed' as a real Land Rover should?

...he even imported actual British air to be pumped into the tires :-)

brucejohn
10-20-2009, 06:38 PM
It would be great to have a very nicely restored Landy, though I doubt any of these will ever be too busy to pickup an Oscar. ;)

griswald
10-20-2009, 08:55 PM
cornflake...

thixon
10-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Tell you what guys, I'll do everyone here a favor. I'll be glad to paint everyones rover on this board for the bargain price of $20,000. I promise you'll get the same quality, but at $10,000 less. In fact, I'll go one better. To the first 10 who sign up, I'll go ahead and restore your rovers to the same quality for a mere $60,000 a pop.:D

Honestly though, the guy will probably find someone to bite. Heck, I know some guys who would bite if I recommended the buy. A guy I do business with in Michigan supposedly paid over $400,000 for one of the two Monkey's GTO's. Another guy I do business iwth in the UK routinely buys brit cars back from the states after I look at them for him. He overpays almost every time, but does'nt care if he gets what he wants. These guys live in a different world. Remember the scene in Caddy Shack where the chick shows up at Chevy's house and finds a bunch of uncashed checks for five figures?!

jac04
10-20-2009, 10:50 PM
I think that it's important to remember that anyone trying to make a living restoring & selling Land Rovers needs to get a decent amount of money for them. I'm not saying I would pay $80k, but I don't think that you should expect to be able to buy a professionally restored Rover for $25k. Heck, I'm into my Lightweight 'refurbushment' for over $25k in parts and I've put about 1000 hours into it. At $10/hr, it's a $35k vehicle and I certainly wouldn't consider selling it for less than that. Now consider a professional shop charging a very reasonable $50/hour........

jb_
10-21-2009, 12:37 AM
I think that it's important to remember that anyone trying to make a living restoring & selling Land Rovers needs to get a decent amount of money for them. I'm not saying I would pay $80k, but I don't think that you should expect to be able to buy a professionally restored Rover for $25k. Heck, I'm into my Lightweight 'refurbushment' for over $25k in parts and I've put about 1000 hours into it. At $10/hr, it's a $35k vehicle and I certainly wouldn't consider selling it for less than that. Now consider a professional shop charging a very reasonable $50/hour........

Wow. I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay that much for a Series.

At the end of the day, it is still a Land Rover.

The guy in the link has a paint job of more than $30K. Talk about over capitalizing a vehicle!

I guess it comes down to a labour of love. I can't fault jac04 on the quality of his restoration or the passion that is going in to it, but I just can't imagine why anyone would pay that sort of money for a Land Rover that is still expected to leak oil and is sh*t to drive.

LaneRover
10-21-2009, 12:58 AM
I guess, what stood out for me is that for a truck that has such an amazing description of what has been done, who did it and how much some of it cost, shouldn't the rear step be attached?

jac04
10-21-2009, 07:03 AM
... but I just can't imagine why anyone would pay that sort of money for a Land Rover ....
If you want a nice Land Rover and have the money (and not necessarily the time and/or skills & tools to restore one), then why not spend it on what you want?

JayGoss
10-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Haven't seen it- but I've heard a 109 dormobile is featured in the latest Orvis catalog. My friend told me they are asking $65k. I've seen that Rover- and it's really nice...but it would normally sell for $20-$25k before the Orvis markup. Funny thing is someone will buy it and think they lucked out with a super rare "Orvis Edition" 109. The guy asking $88k for his Rover has always had one or two like that and (I think) they eventually sell as their adds disappear after a while. All I can say is more power to these folks (especially Orvis for their notoriety). Add to this that LL Bean did that photo shoot with Aronson's car and maybe this means the value of our Rovers could be finally on the rise.?.

(can you tell I just took at look at my 401k and I'm looking for a miracle!!!!!!)

NelsAnderson
10-21-2009, 08:10 AM
People really do buy these. Here is the Orvis catalog listing:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=2G7T

$65,000. And note, it's already been sold.

amcordo
10-21-2009, 08:47 AM
I really love my rover, but am willing to consider selling if we start the bidding at $125,000.00 (reserve not met).

Any takers?

JayGoss
10-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Awesome!!! Here's a idea- we can pool our money into an Orvis luggage fund- then rotate who has the bags to take pictures of our rovers with. Whoever sells their rover for $70k first includes the luggage- then reimburses us for what we chipped in for luggage. Sound good?

Bertha
10-21-2009, 09:09 AM

I completely agree with you and am in the same position, however if someone offered me $35k for my truck, I would take it. Quite frankly I really enjoy restoring old Rovers, but unfortunately space prevents me from having more than 2 around. If I could find one buyer every year to pay 35-40k for a restored Rover, I would do it.

TedW
10-21-2009, 09:17 AM
...is featured on the cover of the latest RN News. David Pound's awesome 1959 SIIA took third place in the concourse judging at the 2009 British Invasion in Stowe. A crowd favorite.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, by the way!

bmohan55
10-21-2009, 09:19 AM
I've had my Series for a year, it's into me for about 9k...soon to be 10K after I do the swivel balls and rear axels BUT I've done the work myself. That is to me the value of a Series...the relationship you build with it...knowing the sounds and feel of it telling you what you need to do next and actually being able to do it (for me I do enlist help from the mechanics here at work...and this board.) And after it's put back together one can have a great time off-roading in it, not worrying about reducing it's value.

Buyers of pristine examples of these trucks miss the real "Land Rover" experience...but I suspect I'm preaching to the choir here.

TSR53
10-21-2009, 09:28 AM
...is featured on the cover of the latest RN News. David Pound's awesome 1959 SIIA took third place in the concourse judging at the 2009 British Invasion in Stowe. A crowd favorite.

I totally agree with you on this. I've seen many very nice Series Land Rovers here at RN and David's is tops, hand down. Should have won first place! Down to the littlest details is what makes it the best, even proper year specific MoT lables in the windscreen! Beautiful beyond words.

Rolling past the judges taking third place overall in 2009 Stowe British Invasion.

http://c7716.r16.cf2.rackcdn.com/RN-Forum/users/TSR53/Third-Place-Concourse-Winner-1.jpg

thixon
10-21-2009, 09:38 AM
I can't believe I have no takers on my 20000 dollar paint job offfer. Okay, okay, you guys drive a hard bargain. Today only, 15K.

ivarra
10-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Buyers of pristine examples of these trucks miss the real "Land Rover" experience...but I suspect I'm preaching to the choir here.

Keep in mind that those pristine "show" Rovers of today will, in 50 years time, look like the current average Rover that is going through the "Land Rover" experiece. At least the legend will continue.

Ivar

Jim-ME
10-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Well it's easy to say because no one is standing in line with $ for my Rover. I really doubt that I would ever sell it even if they were, simply because I can't imagine starting all over again even if it has been a very bumpy road. It is so close to being redone based my budget and tastes that I can't imagine being without it. To start over again no thanks.
Jim

greenmeanie
10-21-2009, 10:45 AM
People really do buy these. Here is the Orvis catalog listing:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=2G7T

$65,000. And note, it's already been sold.

I'll show my ignorance here and ask what about that truck makes it a Dormobile conversion? It looks like a pretty stock 109SW with a set of Jerry holders up front and the lights moved to the top of the wing. It certainly isn't a Dormobile in the fashion of TAW's truck.

To each his own but it's just tooo shiny for my tastes.

jac04
10-21-2009, 10:49 AM
To start over again no thanks.
A little off topic, but I agree 100%. After selling my restored '63, I bought my Lightweight project. Well, it had been about 15 years since I completed the '63 restoration. I obviously forgot how much work goes into one of these projects. Never again by myself. Definitely again when my son is a little older (he just turned 1) - I'll let him do all the work!

Bertha
10-21-2009, 10:51 AM

Agreed....Very nice truck and an even nicer owner. I am really glad he won, he really deserved it, especially because he did the restoration himself.

TedW
10-21-2009, 11:16 AM
I am really glad he won, he really deserved it, especially because he did the restoration himself.

Unlike most coucourse entries! Another reason to love Solihull product.

JayGoss
10-21-2009, 11:20 AM
I'll show my ignorance here and ask what about that truck makes it a Dormobile conversion? It looks like a pretty stock 109SW with a set of Jerry holders up front and the lights moved to the top of the wing. It certainly isn't a Dormobile in the fashion of TAW's truck.

To each his own but it's just tooo shiny for my tastes.

It really is one- it's just missing the top. P.o. Preferred station wagon top from what I understand. Interior has fold down seats, etc

Blueboy
10-21-2009, 07:13 PM
It really is one- it's just missing the top

however, isn't that what makes a Dormie a Dormie?

Jaime

Leslie
10-21-2009, 07:38 PM

While, I agree w/ you that the 'characteristic' feature of a Dormobile is the opening roof with the bunks sliding out.... Martin Walter's Dormobiles were on things other than Rovers, too, and, not all of the Rovers had the opening roof.

FWIW....

Blueboy
10-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Martin Walter's Dormobiles were on things other than Rover

yes, I had a 80's Vanagon with a pop-up top, yet, again the distinctive feature was the roof.

and while the Carawagons are also very nice, all one gained was headroom.

just seems a Dormie sans the folding roof would be an odd duck.

Jaime

JayGoss
10-21-2009, 09:31 PM
I agree with the "odd duck" part. Even though it has the interior and the Martin Walters badges, etc- it bugs me that it doesn't have the top. To be perfectly honest, Lanny and I are friends- and I'm glad for anything the Orvis deal will do to help him and his business...but secretly I was hoping it wouldn't sell so I could somehow buy it without the Orvis markup hoopla. First thing I would have done would be to put on the proper Dormobile top!

TeriAnn
10-22-2009, 12:28 AM

That's not an easy question to answer. A rough answer is a a vehicle equipped with any number of caravan conversion items sourced by Martin Walter Ltd. and one can argue including the new Dormobile Ltd. Company.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Dormobile/pictures/rELBA.jpeg

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Dormobile/pictures/VWDM1-150.jpg

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Dormobile/pictures/rCOMMER.jpeg

There were "standard" conversions made with a standard group of premade caravan kits but any conversion could have custom parts. Each truck that was factory converted by Martin Walter was a made to order custom conversion.

The five door Land Rover Dormobile (626) is by far and away the most common version of the Land Rover Dormobile and has a standard configuration with a few common options. The standard kit consisted of a lifting roof with 2 top fold out cots, four seats that fold down into beds, two of which can be set up to face each other with a small table inbetween, A cooker/sink unit in the left rear and either a wardrobe or chest refrigerator at the right rear. The wardrobe had either a fold up jump seat or a toilet. But people could special order different items for these trucks. I've seen one that was factory fitted with a polished natural wood interior. And I think I saw the truck everyone was talking about at the Greek Peak meet in New York, in 1998. If it is the same truck it was light green at the time. The ONLY Martin Walters parts on the truck was the folding seats AND a Martin Walter commision plate that has "SPECIAL" stamped on the plate.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Dormobile/pictures/SpDormie.jpeg

Dormobile conversions built into 109 regulars (625) were a lot less common and all the interiors were basically custom as the standard 262 seats and furniture would not fit. One of the earliest if not the earliest 625 Dormobile was built for Barbra Toy. It was a 1960 Dormobile that only had the raising top and top bunks.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Dormobile/pictures/DM_Btoy2.jpg

A Land Rover Dormobile can be many things but what they have in common is parts supplied by Martin Walter or Dormbile Ltd. being custom built to order they can differ greatly in which parts were supplied.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Dormobile/pictures/corvairside.jpeg
Yes, Even Corvairs. And Kits were shipped to Southern California for installation on early 1970's Dodge vans by a California conversion company.

kevkon
10-22-2009, 07:33 AM
If anyone is interested I see there is a Dormobile interior for sale on EBay.