PDA

View Full Version : The best way to understand the 2.25 engine

gphiver
10-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Hello,
I am new to this forum. Although I have had 2 different 88 IIa’s in the last 10 years I never had to do much engine work to them. Other than installing my own Weber carb, it was basically everything but engine work.
I have been looking for another IIa project vehicle here in the US. Hopefully the right one will pop up soon. When the right truck does come around and I begin spending most of my time and money in the garage I would like to have a decent grasp of engine mechanics. I have read the Green Bible and the Haynes rebuild books a few times. They answer quite a few questions but without ever having engine maintenance classes or training I am embarrassed to ask this. In fact my question may be very basic to a lot of you so here goes...
How does the engine work? From the time you turn the key, please explain to me what happens in order. This may be the best way for me to understand the basic operation of a 2.25 petrol engine. Descriptions and details please. If anyone has any other suggestions for reference materials please let me know.
Thank you all for your time and comments.

Nium
10-21-2009, 09:11 PM
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

Welcome aboard!

Cheers!

gphiver
10-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Thank you, looks like a good place to start.

bmohan55
10-22-2009, 07:38 AM
I read thru that site when I bought my Series a year ago, quite good. The REAL understanding came when I disassembled the top of the engine (new valves and head gasket) and front (timing chain, water pump) and bottom (replace oil pan gasket) and saw first hand how things worked while I turned the hand crank. That made what I read come to life, and eventually the engine did too!

And I never worked on a vehicle before!

NickDawson
10-22-2009, 09:24 AM
I read thru that site when I bought my Series a year ago, quite good. The REAL understanding came when I disassembled the top of the engine
And I never worked on a vehicle before!

Agree with Bmohan55 - nothing beats getting your hands dirty. I'm still in the novice stages myself, but in 6 months of owning a Rover, I know more about mechanics than I ever did in my previous 30 years.

I've been searching, but to no success, to find a link to a book that someone shared with me. I have said book at home and will get the title tonight - great primer on basic mechanics.
Think it was Nium who suggested it in fact...

scott
10-22-2009, 09:57 AM
first you get in, turn ignition on, push starter button, throw it in gear and your off. then the hidden smile meter monitors your face and as soon as that grin that comes from rov'n hits the critical point something in the 2.25 goes out and your stuck with the smile that comes from working on an old rove

TJR
10-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Agree with Bmohan55 - nothing beats getting your hands dirty. I'm still in the novice stages myself, but in 6 months of owning a Rover, I know more about mechanics than I ever did in my previous 30 years.

I've been searching, but to no success, to find a link to a book that someone shared with me. I have said book at home and will get the title tonight - great primer on basic mechanics.
Think it was Nium who suggested it in fact...

This was the post I recommened a good automotive theory book.
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?p=37720#post37720
I can't verify if the link works any longer due to our MIS dept firewall.
I'll check again when I get back home.
...Talbot

greenmeanie
10-22-2009, 11:22 AM
first you get in, turn ignition on, push starter button, throw it in gear and your off. then the hidden smile meter monitors your face and as soon as that grin that comes from rov'n hits the critical point something in the 2.25 goes out and your stuck with the smile that comes from working on an old rove

I'm using that smile to scare the local kids this Halloween. Combined with blood shot eyes and bloody knuckles it's quite effective the other 364 days of the year.