PDA

View Full Version : 72 dismantled Series 3

LH Drive
10-23-2009, 11:50 AM
These hard times has forced me to put my beloved Rover up for sale. Picked up this NAS 1972 LR Series 3 from South Texas in 2004 and it originally came from the South West. Was built in England for the North American market, Left hand drive and ordered new with the tropical sun sheet hard top to help keep the inside cool. Had minimal surface rust when I purchased it but has started to grow in the usual places. Has a new 2.25 motor built by Turner Engineering from the UK ( $5,000 ) and I’ve only put less than 15,000 miles on the new engine. Fresh Webber 34ich carb and header exhaust. Manual 4 speed all synchronized transmission shifts like it should, strong Rover t-case, new rear axle.

This was my daily driver for the past two years and I have gone through and rebuild or replaced many parts to make it reliable : replaced the entire brake system(master cylinder to Drums all around), clutch(slave cylinder to pressure plate), and fuel system(Carburator to Stainless Steel tank from Forover Forever) 4 New Dunlop 32” MT tires, new interior seats(Rovers North), new aluminum Defender style window tops(from Rocky Mountain Company)
Before the strip down, the Rover looked great for its age but still had the growing cancer I had to deal with sooner or later. Well, this spring I decided to do a completeframe off to deal with the cancer. I found the boxed chassis to be solid except for the front horns behind front bumper. Two spots on the original frame that have to be cut/replaced. Many parts have been media blasted and are ready for paint. The bulkhead has been sand blasted and will need a new replacement passenger side footwell panel. Pillars/vents are on great shape.
Comes with removable hard top/SW rear door, pick up style aluminum tailgate, Defender brush guard and Defender style roof rack. many other new parts from our host.
This Series Land Rover just needs some replacement panels, spring bushings, shocks, and new paint job to be finished. I have over $10,000 invested,
asking $4,500 “AS IS” might consider parting it out as I have someone interested on the chassie and body. Milwaukee Area.

LH Drive
12-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Just in time for Christmas! New price for the project...$2,500 cash. The low mileage Turner 2.25 engine is worth it.
Milwaukee, WI.

kevin-ct
12-05-2009, 07:18 AM
Just in time for Christmas! New price for the project...$2,500 cash. The low mileage Turner 2.25 engine is worth it.
Milwaukee, WI.

I'm not sure what's is for sale. This truck in the photo looks nice. Is this what is for sale?

kevkon
12-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Second that, what exactly is being offered ?

rwollschlager
12-05-2009, 06:38 PM
I believe he is trying to sell the truck as pictured, only that it is now in pieces. As an incomplete project with all of the parts.

-Rob

LH Drive
12-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Sorry about the confusion, The photo of the Series was taken before it was dismantled. not pictured is the station wagon hart top w/sunsheet, custom tube roof rack also included. I will post pictures of all the parts soon but this rover is close to complete/incomplete ( how ever you look at it )

kevkon
12-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Is it a rolling chassis?

LH Drive
12-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Is it a rolling chassis?
This is not a rolling chassis but I can attatch the springs and bolt the axles back to make it a rolling chassis for you. The axles have not been taken apart, front axle still has linkage, minor pitting on the outer edge of swivels. Both axles have new wheel cylinder seals, brake shoes, new drums, and stainless steel flex hose. The 16 steel wheels with new Dunlop Mud Rover tires are still on the axles.

LH Drive
12-06-2009, 11:50 AM
I can send pictures if interested, But this Series project is for pick up only. Thanks

kevkon
12-09-2009, 10:44 AM
I would need to know how it could be shipped/transported. I'm very interested. You can -mail me kevkon@yahoo.com

LH Drive
12-22-2009, 08:23 AM
I knew it would be difficult to sell a vehicle project thats in hundreds of peices with all the unknowns on condition of parts. It's always better to test drive any used car. I've even seen post for drivable Series Rovers take some time to find new owners. So I'm going to assemble the Rover back together and will repair any issues as it comes together. Will take plenty of pics to present to the new owner when the time comes. Not going to go the full restoration trailer queen route as I don't have 10-15K to invest into the Series. This was already a solid driver before I dismanled it and should be a decent 6-8K Series Rover when I'm done. The cold weather is here and i'll use this down time to gather parts I need to make it a more complete stock Series 3.
I'm not trying to sell the truck before it's complete as I have no idea how much more money it will cost to complete the project.

cscutt
01-23-2010, 02:59 PM
has it found a new home?

viper71124
02-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Are you still interested in sale as is for 2500?

coltsphan
05-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Parts still available? I'm in Indy and I have a trailer ready to go.