PDA

View Full Version : Tips for preparing Discovery for off-road?

Ilya
10-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Do I need all of this "Snorkel, Side Steps, Roof Rack, Bull Bar
Driving Lights, Springs & Shocks" and more?

Thanks

stu454
10-24-2009, 07:16 PM
I hate saying this, but it depends.

I didn't see a location for you. What type of terrain will you primarily be running? Understand that one mod usually leads to another mod and so on.

e.g. a lift and larger tires often requires a change in gearing, which can be pricey.

Here are my thoughts FWIW......

On a petrol engine I wouldn't worry about a snorkel; usually if you're deep enough to need the snorkel your ECU is fried. If you're not jonesing for one then spend the money elsewhere.

Factory side steps are a hinderance when off road. Rock sliders on the other hand are quite useful, both to protect the vulnerable door area from the rocks but also as a step.

A roof rack is handy if you run out of interior space. I'm married with a child so when we camp the space gets taken up quickly.

Lights on the bullbar are nice to have, but not essential.

New springs and shocks are needed if you wish to go to a larger tire size to gain ground clearance. Again nice, but not essential.

These trucks are quite good as-is. I recommend driving it on trails some and then you will begin to have an idea what mods (if any) your style of driving requires.

Hope this helps.

solihull109
10-26-2009, 04:55 AM
I agee with stu..
The first thing I would purchase is a set of diff guards. For the 100-200 price tag, they are cheap insurance. Then go wheel and have fun and see what you and your truck can do. Build it over time. Spend some time going out with a group so you can observe and pick up on things that you normally might not be aware of.
Just because everyone bolts on all the aftermarket gear doesn't make them a good driver. Learn to drive first, build as you get better. Good Luck!

CliftonRover
10-26-2009, 04:46 PM
I agree, get some diff guards, cut the plastic off the bottom of your bumper, and then maybe a steering dampener relocation kit with strong tie rods.
Also a good set of tires makes all the difference, even if they are only 1" taller than stock, that being said if yuo get into it you will just want to keep building it so wheel the truck and get a feel for if you really are going to want a lift.