PDA

View Full Version : Window tracks

superstator
10-24-2009, 02:37 AM
I finally got around to ordering a new right side door top, which means I now have to get around to taking the glass out of the old top, and installing the tracks I bought last year.

Question - the tracks didn't come with screws, and aren't pre drilled. Neither is the new top. What's the best size screw to use, and how many should I be putting in? I have very little interest in dissecting the old tracks to find out - once the glass and spacer is out of that frame, they're going straight onto the rust heap. :)

kevkon
10-24-2009, 08:10 AM
It wont be a matter of whether you have any interest in "dissecting the old tracks" or not. The process of removing them will do that for you.
If you didn't order the screws with the tracks then you can match the size. It is certainly advisable to get stainless screws even if it takes a little searching.
If you are carefull in removing the old tracks and keep them in order you may drill pilot holes in the new track in the same locations.

TedW
10-24-2009, 01:22 PM
...use stainless screws, readily available at many local hardware stores. Jus bring one of your old ones in, and get screws that are (about) the same size.

I put a screw a few inches in from each end and one in the middle - all you need. It's not like the tracks are under any stress.

Also, if you used the genuine type track you'll be probably replacing it before Obama is re-elected - it starts to rust and grow mold while on the shelf (I'm only half kidding).

The next time you need to replace it, go to a boating supply store ( I bet you have those in Portland) and get some stainless steel window track with the delrin insert strip. It will last longer than you will.

xsbowes
10-24-2009, 02:10 PM
I used the plastic marine window channel for both the doortops and hardtop with stainless screws.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2073/10249131/19458865/376628470.jpg

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2073/10249131/19458865/376628456.jpg

This was on the '70 SIIA I used to have. I still have the hardtop on my Lightweight. The plastic channel was narrower than the factory so I filled the small gap on the inside with gray RTV. The plastic channel drains alot better than the factory channel with the felt and no mold at all. I used the double channel for the hardtop which required trimming the rubber seal on the end of the inside glass because the two pieces of glass are closer together.