PDA

View Full Version : IIA Generator/Voltage Reg Problems

LndRvr64
10-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Hello all,

Just replaced my voltage regulator with a ProLine on from our hosts. Also had my generator rebuilt at the same time. I still have a positive ground IIA. When I hooked the generator up today, I started it up and the red generator light on the dash started flashing about once every second with a simultaneous click and drop in the Amps to @ the -30 mark. Working with juice is not my specialty at all, so any help to resolve before I fry my electrics is much appreciated. I tried running a wire from the + battery cable to the generator nodes while unhooked to "prime it to positive ground", but it didn't help - I heard somewhere that that had to be done, but don't know for sure.

Thanks for any and all help.

Jack:confused:

Bertha
10-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Jack
You need to make sure you are flashing the correct 2 areas. Get a piece of 14ga and connect to a hot source-a hot feed off the fuse block or the starter solenoid will work(which in your case is not the positive terminal of the battery) then "flash" it (a couple small sparks) against the small terminal of your generator(make sure you generator is disconnected before you do this) Now reconnect your generator (and remove your 14ga flash wire)and you should be good to go with polarizing the generator.

LndRvr64
10-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks Bertha. The light is now off when running. The Amp are going to +30 when I rev and at +15 when idling. Is this too high and do I run the risk of frying something or is it just recharging and will fall back to normal positions when everything is back recharged? How do I check the generator with a voltmeter to see if it is putting out the right amount of juice?

Jack