PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover Breathers

Jim-ME
02-13-2007, 05:47 PM
I have what is registered as a 64 Series IIa Land Rover. It currently has a valve cover breather which is not connected to the elbow which runs from the carb to the air filter hose and the breather itself has no way to connect to the elbow . My current elbow must be from a Series III because it has two places to hook up rubber hose which I assume has something to do with 1973 - 1974 emission requirements . Currently the two "connectors" on the elbow have a rubber hose which runs in a U shape from one "connector" to the other. Is there any reason I should replace the carb elbow with one with a single connector and replace the breather with one which allows me to tie into the elbow? Thanks in advance for any insight.

J!m
02-13-2007, 06:06 PM
One reason to connect the engine breather to the elbow is to reduce the chance of water ingress if you do any wading with your tuck.

Otherwise, no reason to connect them.

yorker
02-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Since you don't need to have them hooked up I would not bother- less crap going into your carb and engine that way. My breather cover on my '65 was crushed somehow so I had to put a later one on. If you want to swap I'll send you mine. :)

Does yours have the breather on the oil fill as well? somehow mine got misplaced too.

Jim-ME
02-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Yes I do have a breather on the oil fill. What you have said makes perfect sense to me. I just needed to ask the question. If you want to go back to the unconnected breathe and if RN doesn't stock it try RovahFarm.com as I know he lists both types.

Les Parker
02-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Hi there,
Ref the breather, is this the original engine, or has it been replaced over the years? Sounds to me like its a Series III engine, which RN can supply the correct PCV system to.
Please advise.;)

greenmeanie
02-14-2007, 08:56 AM
The two connection elbow is present on the late SIIa's as well. One hose hooks up to the breather on the rocker cover. This may help your valve seals as there is less pressure in the cavity but I wouldn't get upset if it isn't there. The second hose hooks up to a charcoal canister for the fuel tank via a small tank under one of the rear wheel arches. Again it isn't really necessary for making your truck run well. I'd just leave them capped.

Cheers
Gregor

TeriAnn
02-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Since you don't need to have them hooked up I would not bother- less crap going into your carb and engine that way.

But if you do connect the breather to the intake, your engine will have less sludge and water vapor build up, keeping the insides cleaner. The fine mist of oil emmited by the old style breather settles in your engine compartment giving trail dust a stickier place to settle. So your engine bay will stay cleaner too with the breather connected.

Besides it makes our world a little greener too.:thumb-up::thumb-up::thumb-up:

My 1960 Land Rover has a valve cover breather and PCV because it is the right thing to do and it keeps the inside of my LR cleaner.

KingSlug
02-14-2007, 12:35 PM
But TeriAnn, I love the open crank case breather on the rover. Mine has 2, 1 on the oil fill and 1 on the valve cover. I love the smell of the rover engine, smells like my families old tractors and cars. Maybe the fine oil mist is a Rover plan to reduce bulhead rust that wasn't well thought out, just like the dripping drivetrain protects the frame.

My rover is green too, how did you know? I think the argument over "green" cars is silly, most Rovers in this fourm are over 30 years old. Most people would have gone through 4+ cars in this time, our rover have less of a carbon footprint because of longevity and 90% of our rovers will be on the road in 10 years how many new cars could say the same thing (not to mention that well tuned old car put out just over the pollution of a newer vehicle)? If you really want to go green one should walk or get a ride on water buffalo, my wife says she would rather walk or ride the bike than drive the rover in town.

yorker
02-14-2007, 04:37 PM
But if you do connect the breather to the intake, your engine will have less sludge and water vapor build up, keeping the insides cleaner. The fine mist of oil emmited by the old style breather settles in your engine compartment giving trail dust a stickier place to settle. So your engine bay will stay cleaner too with the breather connected.

Besides it makes our world a little greener too.:thumb-up::thumb-up::thumb-up:

Meh...

My Rover has gone without them for it's first 41 years so I'm not going to worry about the cleanliness of the engine compartment now.:eek: Add to this the fact that there is a score in one cylinder that produces a prodigious amount of blow by and you can see why retrofitting to a pcv system is a useless source of aggravation. Thus I've had to modify what I have into a road draft tube system.

jp-
02-14-2007, 06:21 PM
I love the smell of napal..., I mean Rover oil in the morning.

TeriAnn
02-14-2007, 11:00 PM
My Rover has gone without them for it's first 41 years so I'm not going to worry about the cleanliness of the engine compartment now.
41 years ago there were less people in the world and less pressure on the environment. Things have changed and I for one prefer to tread a little more lightly on my way through the world. When I leave a camp site the only sign of my having been there is a set of tyre tracks and maybe a little gray water puddle. Everything else is packed out and the site is undisturbed beyond tyre and foot prints.

My Land Rover was built 47 years ago but it emits significantly fewer pollutants today than it did when it was new. Just an aspect of treading lightly.

Pressures on our ecosystems are too great not to take tread lightly seriously. Especially with groups like the Serria club looking over our shoulders wanting to close trails.

There is no excuse not to use simple SMOG equipment such as valve cover and crank case breathers.

yorker
02-15-2007, 07:51 AM
TAW-
the hydrocarbons produced by one 2.25 pale in comparison to the 1000's of non compliant and pre OBDII cars on the road. An average 2 stroke motorcycle or chainsaw produces more. Nearly every diesel on the road today uses a road draft tube. I am not concerned with what little my Rover adds. If you think pandering to the Sierra Club crowd by adding a PCV system is going to have any impact of their view of 4x4's and trail use then you are delusional. If it makes you feel better then good for you.

Tim Smith
02-15-2007, 09:47 AM
TAW-
the hydrocarbons produced by one 2.25 pale in comparison to the 1000's of non compliant and pre OBDII cars on the road. An average 2 stroke motorcycle or chainsaw produces more. Nearly every diesel on the road today uses a road draft tube. I am not concerned with what little my Rover adds. If you think pandering to the Sierra Club crowd by adding a PCV system is going to have any impact of their view of 4x4's and trail use then you are delusional. If it makes you feel better then good for you.

I agree with your points but I think TeriAnn is talking about what is actually the right thing to do. Not what is perceived by your average Joe sierra clubber.

In my opinion your average Joe (arm chair sierra club tree hugger) probably replaces their car every 3-5 years with the idea that they are helping the environment. However the downfall to thinking like that is that making a car produces more hydrocarbons and uses more natural resources than that car could ever produce in it's lifetime. Don't even get me started about hybrids...

If you ask me, the best thing you can do is keep your 2.25 in good tune. You will be getting the best performance out of it. You'll reduce the smog coming from it (even if it is just probably a small percentage). And you won't be wasting money on the latest in marketing strategies to drive the best perceived bling.

By the way before posting this I took a quick look at the Sierra club's website. Apparently the Sierra club is all about buying new cars too. Couldn't find anything about what goes into those hybrids they are touting. I guess they think the green life means "buy new."

http://sierraclub.typepad.com/greenlife/2007/02/clean_green_mac.html

Cheers,
Tim

jp-
02-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Is it getting hot in here? Or is it just me?

Let me throw a little ice on the fire.

http://newsmax.com/archives/articles/2007/2/14/151325.shtml?s=lh

TeriAnn
02-15-2007, 10:53 AM
TAW-
I am not concerned with what little my Rover adds.

As long as no body cares about what little they add, everyone will go on adding their bit onto the back of the camel. It is your choice up 'til a government body makes the choice for you.

If it makes you feel better then good for you.

Thank you. I'll continue packing out more trash than I produce while on the trail, reusing and recycling whenever I can. Because it does make me feel better.

As we used to say back on the commune in the late '60's "Whats good for the flower is good for the flower child."

Clive
02-15-2007, 01:05 PM
This touches on a hugely interesting subject and while we are off on the tangent of global warming (GW) the available data is pretty much incontrovertible proof that it is happening! The jury is no longer out….what is unknown is the extent of the effect. This is not an opinion; data cannot be argued with when correctly interpreted. Unfortunately there are those who do not bother to become informed about the facts, but accept political spin and opinion of biased interests.
The International Panel on Climate Change just met again, and confirmed the trends, accompanied by virtually no dissent, except perhaps from a few oil-funded lackeys!
One of the characteristics of GW is more extreme weather across the globe – both hot and cold, wet and dry, so assume the winter storms you are witnessing to be part and parcel of a whole trend! Hence reports that imply cold weather buck GW is misleading.
Our series trucks do leave a footprint larger than hybrids. A low-maintenance new hybrid has many advantages from an environmental point of view, and is much better than buying a new non-hybrid for those millions who do not have a passion to drive a polluting, noisy, smelly 30+ y old series truck around! It behoves us to heed TAW as someone making rational lifestyle decisions – it can only be better to treat the planet with a conscience.
Oh, and the Sierra Club does far more good than bad…many of its members are highly educated people who actually do have a rational grasp of very real issues that are facing this country and the rest of the planet. Unfortunately it provides an umbrella for radical tree-huggers too!

KingSlug
02-15-2007, 03:15 PM
TerriAnn
Not to throw rocks but exhaust catalyst are easy to throw on your rover's 302, fuel injection and O2 sensors are pretty much plug and play from vendors especially with yours 302,(not so easy for a 2.25l rover) plus you will be more efficent and have less pollution. If breathers are important to a low carbon foorprint then so should these items, sure the electrics can cause problems but it doesn't bother most people even with highly modified 4x4 rigs. I believe you are doing what you believe is right, but I do not fault others for different beliefs.

As for global warming/cooling, the earth has been warmer, the earth has been colder, it happens. I am not saying dump your oil in your fav trout stream, but living things change their environment, the dinos did, the mammals did, and humans do. Life changes, thats it.

Tim Smith
02-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Oh, and the Sierra Club does far more good than bad…many of its members are highly educated people who actually do have a rational grasp of very real issues that are facing this country and the rest of the planet. Unfortunately it provides an umbrella for radical tree-huggers too!

Yeah, you are right... I guess it's too easy to group "tree huggers" into one category as they do to us "SUV drivers."

<slapping back of hand> :o

I still don't accept the idea of buying new for the sake of the enviroment but if you have to buy new... well you might as well get the right vehicle for the job.

msggunny
02-15-2007, 06:12 PM
As for global warming/cooling, the earth has been warmer, the earth has been colder, it happens. I am not saying dump your oil in your fav trout stream, but living things change their environment, the dinos did, the mammals did, and humans do. Life changes, thats it.

Ok, i am not the smartest kid on the block so please tell me how the dinosaurs changed the earths climate/environment? Methane gas? too much farting? Come on, seriously. Humans are the only animal on this planet that are capable of destroying what we live in. Animals are at least smart enough not to crap where they lie, metaphorically speaking.

Yes the earth has gone through serious climate changes, that is indisputable. But if the spazoid scientists are right we may be in for a sh*ty next 50 years.

We are also the only animal that's capable of fixing what we fu*ked up. Look at the acid rain that was rampant in the eastern US. Look at Cleveland.

Are we, vintage Land Rover owners, as incredibly an small percentage of the population of the world going to effect how the climate is affected? Most likely not, but it goes hand in hand with the ethos of "Tread Lightly". I have lived in parts of the US where people change their oil in a ditch on the side of the road because they think that a few quarts of oil from their car wont hurt, except for the fact that lots of people in the area do it and it all filters down stream. I have lived in other parts of the world where the same goes true. I don't want to incriminate but go to Iraq and see what a mess that place is because no one cares, Africa, any other developing nation. Simple fact is that if we don't care about it, the chances of our friends and family not caring are high. Kids see dad doing it so it must be ok, they in turn do it and their kids do it and so on.

Plus, if you want it really fun, wait until the Fed Gov starts to make emission tests mandatory for all vehicles. Its most likely not too far off, and our "antique" status may not save us in the future.

Ok, i think i have gotten out what i want to say. call me a tree hugger if you want, but your far from the truth. I like to be called "responsible steward of the land". I want my kids to have the chance to catch more fish than i was able to, i want them to whack more furry animals and eat their flesh than i was able to, but cant do that if we dont take care of the environment.

Take care

KingSlug
02-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Ok, i am not the smartest kid on the block so please tell me how the dinosaurs changed the earths climate/environment?

Every living thing has an impact on its environment, that was the statement. Add a dino to an untouched environment, the dino eats some plants, only tall plants out of dinos reach survive. Taddah, the dino had an impact on the environment.

Heck, scientist cant explain the "Midevil Warm Period" or the "Little Ice Age", what makes you think they can tell the future? Is it their super computers that were programed by them? Well geez if they have super computers to figure such a complex thing as future global warming and cooling trends out why haven't they work this predicting magic on Wall St? Why cant they look backwards and explain the MWP and LIA? We have past data, not fuzzy future projected data, and they still cant explain it. Why hasn't their data on Anartica ever been right (I dont want excuses I want to know how this great computer failed to predict past known data)?

I say do what you want, and let karma/g*d/aliens/humans 2.0 sort everything out.

msggunny
02-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Every living thing has an impact on its environment, that was the statement. Add a dino to an untouched environment, the dino eats some plants, only tall plants out of dinos reach survive. Taddah, the dino had an impact on the environment.

I'm only doing this for the sake of argument.

by what you said above, "add a dino to an untouched environment" doesn't make any sense. You cant have an untouched environment unless its a sterile vacuum devoid of life.

What ever, this thread diffidently got off track a bit from helping a guy with a problem to Global Warming. I just have a problem with people who feel its alright to "do what you want" when it has a potential impact on everyone and everything.

I quit, I'm not going on any more about this. :thumb-up:

siiirhd88
02-15-2007, 07:32 PM
After repeat problems with the factory PCV rubbers, I converted to a U.S. style PCV. I filled the valve cover breather cap hole using a freeze plug with an epoxy sealer, and drilled the valve cover to fit a rubber PCV grommet and a typical U.S. type PCV valve. I used a PCV that has a 90 degree fitting on the top, with the hose from the fitting led to the barb on the adapter below the carb. I replaced the cap on the oil fill tube with a closed cap off of an old Ford. The oil fill tube hose fitting was then piped to the hose fitting on the carb intake elbow. The blowby is eliminated by the PCV drawing on the valve cover area, with the incoming air into the crankcase filtered by the oil bath air cleaner via the oil fill tube.

Worked just fine.

Bob

Jim-ME
02-16-2007, 05:49 AM
Since I started this whole thread that has gone well away from my origional question I'm going to chime in with my opinion on the new topic. I feel that we are stewards of this planet and have a responsibility to leave it in the best condition we possibly can. If I can within reason do something to accomplish that I will. As an example, I use synthetic motor oil and lubricants in all my vehicles. Once I get my Rover so I know it won't run out thru the gaskets as fast as I put it in I'll switch that over too. At some point I hope to switch my Landy over to a diesel engine so I can use biodiesel. Will this save the world, most likely not but I am at least doing what little I can and I'm happy with that. FWIW I've decided to go with a closed breather on my valve cover but at this point I can't afford to completely change over my oil fill pipe to add the PVC valve plus buy all those pieces parts. Now I'll put my soap box away on this topic.