PDA

View Full Version : rear axel not reciving power?

derekchace
10-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Hey Guys,
I was out driving my 1975 Air Portable in the woods today and encountered little problem. The rear axle is no longer receiving any power. The Rover will only drive in 4 wheel drive using the 2 front wheels. There was no noise, no grinding and the drive shaft is still spinning fine. Any one have an ideas?

graniterover
10-25-2009, 03:16 PM
If the rear driveshaft is spinning fine, the most likely issue is a broken half shaft. I don't know why you didn't hear it, but it could have been cracked half way through and just didn't make noise. I've seen them twisted and cracked and not broken before, maybe yours was like that and the force to finish it off was minimal. Just pull the halfshafts and look. It's like 5 min work.

Mark

derekchace
10-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Cool I will have my neighbor/ rover repair guy look at it. I just hope its not that expensive. I guess its a good chance to learn how to fix it with him. It was odd there was no loud noise nothing, but we were by a rushing river and talking so maybe I just did not hear it.

LH Drive
10-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Yeah pull the half shafts, these are full floater axles so no need to remove the wheels/tire to repair broken axle shafts. Mine long side snapped pulling from a signal light and it was not that loud of noise like i've heard.
It was an easy job, you will have to remove the third member to get to the broken chunk, tap it out with a long steel punch. I used the red high temp sylicone form a gasket stuff. Worked great and best of all fixed the rear diff leak I had.

derekchace
10-25-2009, 03:32 PM
any idea what a general cost would be?

NepentheSea
10-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Hmm probably not worth repairing. Lucky you posted on here though, because I could use one for parts and could give you $400 bucks for it.;)

jac04
10-25-2009, 08:10 PM
any idea what a general cost would be?
From your pictures, you have the flat hub caps, which means you have Air Portable specific rear axles. They are about $250 for the short side and $290 for the long side. Ouch!!

derekchace
10-26-2009, 04:22 AM
at least they are easy to replace.

SafeAirOne
10-26-2009, 07:13 AM
Check the rear drive flanges, too. If you didn't hear your axle snap, it could just be worn/stripped splines in a rear drive flange. These go silently and have symptoms exactly as you describe. Easy fix.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/Product/large/RNC468.JPG

jac04
10-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Just remember that the drive flanges for the Air Portable are different.

Tim Smith
10-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Driving through a rushing river? Do yourself a favor and drain the fluids in both your axles. Any time you drive through water, you're pretty much inviting it.

greenmeanie
10-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Just remember that the drive flanges for the Air Portable are different.

A lot of air portables had the unique half shafts and flanges replaced with stock civvy ones in service. The low profile caps were only to allow two trucks to sit next to each other in the width of the load bay of an Argosy. Even the MOD realised that was not necessary later in the vehicle's life. No need to stick with expensive parts unless you are building a show truck.

jac04
10-26-2009, 10:55 AM
^^ True. I just wanted to make sure that he knew that you can't mix & match axles and drive flanges.

derekchace
10-27-2009, 05:48 PM
I have the military style. I cant seem to find an airportable rear drive flange on the rovers north site. I will check it out thursday to see if its the drive flange or half shaft.

jac04
10-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Check with PA Blanchard. No offense to RN, but I saved a bunch of money on axle shafts and stub axles from PAB. Plus, they have some totally obscure parts for the Air Portables like seats, mirror mounts, speedo cable, bumpers & bumperettes.

Tim Smith
10-28-2009, 08:00 AM
If you are looking to upgrade, I know my truck has a set of Great Basin Rovers 24 spline axles with solid welded axle ends. This upgrade would require upgrading your diff to 24 spline as well though, so make sure you understand the whole package before just jumping in on the axles. It's not cheap.

derekchace
10-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey guys any idea's on a place to find the rear dif drive flange showed above post's? I really need one by next Firday and help in finding one would be great!

Les Parker
10-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Hello there.

I converted my Airportable to standard half shafts and drive flanges, so have a spare flange and cap for sale.

:)

derekchace
10-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Great less im working on it now I will let you know if its the drive flange or the half shaft, I have one off and one is stuck so I am thinking its the shaft but will let you know in a couple hours. Your a life saver Les!

derekchace
10-29-2009, 10:45 AM
left side off but the right side will not come off at all! It will spin forward and but not back. I know I will def need a new right side half shaft any one have any idea's on how to get it out? I have tried pulling on it as hard as I can and have nothing.

Les Parker
10-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Probably the only way is with a humongous pry bar.
Does it partially pull out then lock up? If so the splines are probably twisted at the diff. end.
Alt. is to change BOTH sides to standard format axles and flanges/galv. hub caps.
I have sold the 1/2 shaft I took out, sorry!!

derekchace
11-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Hey Guys here is a list of what i need for parts any one have any idea's? I would like to keep the same gear ratio so I would prefer not to convert to anything higher.
I need both half shafts, end caps and flanges, + the big one the spider gears housing gears inside are fine but the housing and bearings for it need replacing for the rear dif. I have tried PA blanchard they have the halfshafts but only a whole new rear dif for 495 pounds! any help would be great!

derekchace
11-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Does any one have a used reg series III dif they could sell me? as I have sourced the civ spec axles, halfshafts and the rest. I just cant find a dif.

derekchace
11-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Hey Guys,
So I am going to convert the Lightweight to Civ specs. I found the half shafts and axle change kit for the rear and now I need some help pricking up the right used dif from the UK. Would this work? have been unable to find one in the states so I have to get one from the UK thanks
Derek
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150384028416&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

SafeAirOne
11-09-2009, 01:21 PM
All you're looking for is a regular rover-type rear differential third member; Is this correct? One with 10-spline diff inners? You should be able to pick up a decent used one for about $50, I should think. Post around on the boards. I got a good used one from a local gent for $50 by posting on the www.landroverexchange.com (http://www.landroverexchange.com) website under "wanted" "parts".

I don't know if this is compatible with a rover-type diff, but if you need 24-spline inners, George at RDS has brand new take-out 24-spline carrier assemblies with spider gears available cheap on his site (apologies to our hosts).

Les Parker
11-09-2009, 04:00 PM
I trust the BBS hosts are the suppliers of the half shafts and gaskets etc.
We have some Series III diffs in our ocean conatianer, due Nov. 18th.

Please advise,