PDA

View Full Version : IIA won't shut off

KSMTAW
10-26-2009, 01:19 PM
My 65 IIA 88 LHD 2.25 Liter would not shut off today. My battery was also drained this morning when I tried to start it. I had to charge it up first.

It is stock except that it has been converted to an alternator and negative ground. I have the push button starter on the bulkhead and the lights and ignition key combo.

To shut it off, I pulled the coil wire then disconnected the battery.

What do you think it is? I am thinking the ignition/ light switch on the dash.

Any suggestions?

Thank You

Nium
10-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Disconnect negative to battery as one wire to ignition switch is always hot.

Could be ignition switch. Open up dash to gain access to the back of the ignition switch. Take note of which wire goes to which terminal on the back of ignition switch (digital photo or just write up a quick diagram on piece of paper). Remove wires. Using an ohmeter or multimeter on ohm setting test for continutity between terminals. In the off position there shouldn't be any continuity between terminals, if there is then very likely it could be the ignition siwtch has gone funky and is providing power in the off position. If it is providing connection for power in "off" try to take it apart and repair as a new switch is $100+ through RN but I'm fairly sure they have them if you need one.

KSMTAW
10-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I will give it a shot and trouble shoot.

Electrics are my weakness- Although I am very proud of my epoxy repair to the Kodiak fan speed switch. Came out perfect.

I am just glad that if the switch is at fault and beyond repair that it may still be available.

I will try to get at it after work.

Thanks-