PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to the felt window channel?

ArlowCT
10-26-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm about to redo the channels for the rear slider windows on my hardtop for the 3ed and last time. I'm sick of them growing greener than my lawn!!!

I have seen people use rubber and some plastic stuff for boats.

What are the pros and cons of what you have tried? What size did you use and where did you get it? Did you glue/screw it in place?

Thanks

Enigma
10-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Alternatives were posted a few days ago. Check page 2

Cheers

xsbowes
10-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Do a search for window channel or track. There are a few threads on this. I screwed Beckson plastic channel in.

TeriAnn
10-27-2009, 01:00 AM
Sometimes I wonder why I spend the time to write web pages.

Check

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRsideWindow.htm

Here's what I used:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/GRdetailPics/windowChanXsectionRM.jpg

Nium
10-27-2009, 01:20 AM
I appreciate you writing web pages TeriAnn :D. In fact just about every Land Rover forum board I've ever looked at references your site (I've been known to reference your web site in a post or two as well) whether it be UK, Australian, American or those ones with the weird squiggly lines for letters. Heck, yer world renowned.

:cheers:

Bertha
10-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Alternatives were posted a few days ago. Check page 2

Cheers

In all fairness there wasn't much listed in that thread.

TeriAnn
10-27-2009, 10:12 AM
I appreciate you writing web pages TeriAnn :D. In fact just about every Land Rover forum board I've ever looked at references your site (I've been known to reference your web site in a post or two as well) whether it be UK, Australian, American or those ones with the weird squiggly lines for letters. Heck, yer world renowned.

Sorry, I was just tired and a tad cranky being up past my bedtime last night. I've had a good night's sleep, my morning tea and sit looking out my window gazing at my ever so loverly Land Rover. My perspective has been restored.

Rocky Mountain offers the same rubber window strips they install in their door tops as a kit for rear side windows. Replacement window track kit #RM9517. I installed a set last summer. Very stiff sliding at first but sliding a lot better now.

:cheers:
Does this indicate if I were to drive my Land Rover to one of the big UK Land Rover gatherings next summer, such as Billing, someone might buy me a pint of ale?

greenmeanie
10-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Does this indicate if I were to drive my Land Rover to one of the big UK Land Rover gatherings next summer, such as Billing, someone might buy me a pint of ale?

Heh, might need a pretty decent sized snorkel for that.

From memory, beer is pretty much what people survive on at the UK shows. Don't eat anything unless you can identify what it was originally. Even then you may not want to eat it.

amcordo
10-27-2009, 01:10 PM
While the subject is up...

What are the opinions on door tops? My window frames are all in VERY sad shape. The steel has mostly rusted out. I stumbled onto the aluminum ones after some looking for $250+ each, or the RN Proline for about $100 (I assume these are just made of non-galvanized steel). Which should I go for?

greenmeanie
10-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Rocky Mountain door tops. Lovely piece of work.

TedW
10-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Rocky Mountain door tops. Lovely piece of work.

I've got 'em. Love 'em. Last door tops you will ever need, even if you live in the salt belt. Unfortunately, I think they are no longer available "unglazed." IIRC you need to buy them with the double sliding glass installed - which is really nice to have, but it adds to the cost.

crankin
10-27-2009, 02:30 PM
I third the RM door tops... I picked up a pair and don't regret it.

pisten-bully
10-27-2009, 02:34 PM
I thought you were supposed to apply a waterproofing to the LR felt channels, so I did. I replaced mine in '97, sprayed them liberally with a silicone based waterproofing (made for shoes) and they're still looking good on my outdoors parked machine.

TedW
10-27-2009, 02:40 PM
I thought you were supposed to apply a waterproofing to the LR felt channels, so I did. I replaced mine in '97, sprayed them liberally with a silicone based waterproofing (made for shoes) and they're still looking good on my outdoors parked machine.

I did all that, too, and mine rotted after 2 seasons.

Hawaii_SIII
10-27-2009, 05:38 PM
I waited 4+ months for my RM door tops. Worth every penny and minute of waiting!

scatterling
10-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Ditto.:thumb-up: RM doortops and window channels