PDA

View Full Version : Whitworth spanners/wrenches

jb_
10-28-2009, 10:31 PM
In the thread on the clutch pedal box I commented on the fact that I didn't have the spanner sizes for the bolts on the series III gearbox that hold the bracket that covers the detent springs.

So I went to a local auto parts place to ask about prices for Whitworth spanners. The sizes that they mentioned seemed to line up with my A/F set, so now I'm wondering what "Whitworth" actually means. Is it the size of the bolt head, or the threaded shaft?

The prices that the auto parts place quoted me were frightening. I can't imagine paying more for a set of spanners than my series cost me!

I'd like some advice from those here in the "know" about what spanners (wrenches) are required to service a 74 series III other than those that are part of a normal metric/AF set.

Nium
10-28-2009, 11:05 PM
http://www.enginehistory.org/british_fasteners.htm

Gives a bit of an explanation why you need Whitworth spanners. You could try just to get the wrenches and sockets you need for the job at hand instead of a whole set.

crankin
10-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Your high cost is probably coming from the fact that Whitworth's thread system is no longer around and people are having to special order the wrenches. Also, I see you’re in Oz... here in the states I have seen sets for as low as $50.

Whitworth fasteners used a 55 degree thread angle. The wrench sizes were marked crazy. Basically, the dimension given on a Whitworth wrench is the diameter of the bolt thread rather than the size of the head. Some Whitworth wrenches even have two marked sizes, because the same head size is used with one coarse thread and a different diameter fine thread.

British Standard Whitworth (BSW), British Standard Fine (BSF), British Standard Parallel Pipe (BSPP), and British Standard Tapered Pipe (BSTP) are all thread series based on the Whitworth screw thread form.

Nium sent you a great link.

greenmeanie
10-29-2009, 01:09 AM
As a Scotsman I'm a bit tight with money. I've got away with a set of metric tools for years. I've probably accumulated most of the imperial sizes over time but never bothered with whitworth. Where I come across it I usually remove it and replace with imperial fasteners these days.

There is the cool factor I suppose but I just can't justify it.

jb_
10-29-2009, 02:47 AM
Your high cost is probably coming from the fact that Whitworth's thread system is no longer around and people are having to special order the wrenches. Also, I see you’re in Oz... here in the states I have seen sets for as low as $50.

I will be in the US (California) next month. Is there somewhere I can buy them while I'm state-side?

Bertha
10-29-2009, 07:03 AM
Here you go:
http://www.triple-c.com/Products_and_Accessories.cfm?pa=detail&zsb=0&pn=WHITWORTH

kevkon
10-29-2009, 07:56 AM
It would probably make more sense to get a 3/8 " drive Whitworth socket set given the need on a Series truck.

brucejohn
10-29-2009, 08:43 AM
I am not going crazy!

Thank you jb_ for asking this question and Bertha, crankin, greenmeanie, kevkon and Nium for the answers. The history was especially interesting and enlightening.

Being new to a Series truck I have been very confused at the almost fits on bolt heads with my SAE and Metric selection and my inability to find local sources for bolts I wish to replace. I had assumed that my difficulties were the product of years of rust and corrosion such that the bolt heads aren't what they were when installed. But it has been very confusing and frustrating not to be able to go to Tractor Supply or Lowes to find replacements for bolts going back into tapped parts. Now I know why.

Thank you, thank you, especially jb_ for asking a great question.

TedW
10-29-2009, 09:09 AM
...according to the Parts Catalogue (and the kit that came with my truck):

5/16 x 7/16 Whitworth
3/16 x 1/4" Whitworth
3/8" Whitworth (single end)

What are the chances that these sizes would cover everything you might need to do?

crankin
10-29-2009, 09:24 AM
...according to the Parts Catalogue (and the kit that came with my truck):

5/16 x 7/16 Whitworth
3/16 x 1/4" Whitworth
3/8" Whitworth (single end)

What are the chances that these sizes would cover everything you might need to do?

The chances are pretty darn good. Having taken mine apart, I realized that there are not a whole lot of different sizes of bolts.

Bertha
10-29-2009, 10:19 AM
It would probably make more sense to get a 3/8 " drive Whitworth socket set given the need on a Series truck.

I agree-the 1/2" drive set is the only size Tripple C sells(which is the one I have) I must admit it is a little annoying to use, but it was the most reasonably priced set I could find and the quality is very good.

gudjeon
10-29-2009, 02:53 PM
I usually find them sitting in the wrench bin with a bunch of other stuff at my local pawn/secondhand shop. I found my own set while cleaning out the school shop where I work . It was a Whitty set for an old Boxford Lathe that was removed years ago.:thumb-up:

utahseries
10-29-2009, 03:28 PM
I agree, in 95% of my series 1 resto, i've only used those sizes!

brucejohn
10-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Our hosts have a whitworth combination spanner/box set, though the website says 3/8" sockets not currently available. A 'whitworth 1/2' google search will bring up 1/2" drive shallow and deep wells as well as spanners and box wrenches.

jb_
10-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Here you go:
http://www.triple-c.com/Products_and_Accessories.cfm?pa=detail&zsb=0&pn=WHITWORTH

Now _that_ is more like what I'm prepared to pay.

Thanks!!!!

I ordered a set and hopefully they will be waiting for me when I arrive in sunny Sunnyvale next month.

It helps to work for a US company. :thumb-up:

kevkon
10-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Glad I didn't refer to my SnapOn dealer :eek:

Walker
10-31-2009, 07:43 PM
I live in Central CA (not on the coast, allas) and when I had my S 1 I got a set of combo wrenches and 3/8 drive sockets from a local 'Snap-On' tool guy. They are a mobile outfit that supplies pro shops. I'd call or e-mail ahead of time. I've found that Whitworth also shows up in the tranny of my S3 and in and around the steering box/support. FWIW. Good luck.

Art