PDA

View Full Version : Tips on changing engine mounts?

LC_rover
10-29-2009, 09:27 AM
I need to change the engine mounts on my 1972 Series III, 2.25L Petrol.

Any tips on engine support and lifting or removal and installation greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Linus Tremaine
10-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Dont remove both and then try to put them in, do one at a time. You can loosen both but leave one in while you change the other.

I put a nice solid piece of wood under the oil pan or something like that and lift. You can also use a hoist, that would be best.

TeriAnn
10-29-2009, 10:44 AM
I just put a short 2X6 in the top of a floor jack, centered the jack under the oil pan, unscrewed the mounts, jacked up the engine, replaced the mounts started the top nuts, lowered the engine & tightened down the nuts.

Then I did basically the same thing to the transfercase mounts. I never made a production out of it. I'm sure it could be as large a production as you want but I had other things to do, so quick & dirty worked for me.

LC_rover
10-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Quick and dirty is usually my method as sell. :thumb-up: I just wasn't sure if the oil pan would support the engine without buckling or if there was another lifting point that should be used. Info from folks that have done it is appreciated. :)