PDA

View Full Version : DIY recovery shackles

NickDawson
10-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Hey Folks
I'm thinking about taking the truck out on the trail this weekend... Nothing fancy just a chance to be outside.

I've been eying the RN recovery shackles for my front bumper and was curious... could I make my own?

Not that they are too steep at $80, but I've learned that its better to save my cash for repairs, not adornments.... So why not just a heavy I-bolt right through the front bumper? Surely a 1" lag I-bolt is strong enough? Then I could attach a shackle to that for use with the hi-life or getting pulled out. Would it work?

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
-N

badvibes
10-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Look in the test section for the post by ChrisB. Why not do something like this? I know the whole shackles are better than hooks debate but if you want to do something fast and easy to install you could do a tow hook for less than $20 per hook and have something that works. What ever you do you want to work off the frame. I'd stay away from anything mounted to just the metal of the bumper itself.

Jeff

galen216
10-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Recovery gear is an area where costs should never be cut. Wait till you can buy good equipment.

Having said that, on a Series you have other options. In the rear the PTO hole can be used to attach a tow strap and in the front you can wrap the strap around both frame horns for a pull. It isn't ideal but can be done.

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/galen216/Sven-1.jpg

galen216
10-30-2009, 10:56 AM
I'd stay away from anything mounted to just the metal of the bumper itself.

caveat to that is using large backing plates. I have used my Dixon-Bates for some strong pulls with no adverse effects.

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/galen216/DixonBate2.jpg

rwollschlager
10-30-2009, 10:58 AM
The tow hooks on chrisB's truck are the factory tow hooks for some J**p's. I have two on the front of my J**p grand cherokee laredo. Look for one of those in a scrap yard and you may have found yourself some cheap, durable and strong tow hooks. The way he looks to have it set up is one bolt passing through the frame horn and bumper and the fore most bolt is just bassing through the bumper it self. If you use strong enough hard ware (grade 8 steel is a must) it should be fine. Even better if you can get both bolts to pass through the frame horn, but that may be tricky.
-Rob

leafsprung
10-30-2009, 11:21 AM
In the rear the PTO hole can be used to attach a tow strap and in the front you can wrap the strap around both frame horns for a pull

In a pinch these will work, however, abrasion to the strap may damage it when used this way. This may also damage the lip on the frame under the PTO hole. These are not a substitute for real recovery points.

galen216
10-30-2009, 12:06 PM
In a pinch these will work.

Yeah, sort of what I was trying to say. I have a pintle on the rear.

brucejohn
10-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Nick... Like everyone is stating it is really best to have well planned recovery points if you need a pull.

A good shovel, hand saw, hi-lift jack, a couple of strips of plywood and good judgment have been the most effect tools in getting myself out of whatever I have gotten into.

galen216
10-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Nick,

1. Where do you plan to go?

2. The best recovery gear in the beginning is another truck. Anybody going with you?

NickDawson
10-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Nick... Like everyone is stating it is really best to have well planned recovery points if you need a pull.

A good shovel, hand saw, hi-lift jack, a couple of strips of plywood and good judgment have been the most effect tools in getting myself out of whatever I have gotten into.

Ok, I'm sold - I'll shell out for the real deal and mount them into the frame horns in the front. (on the rear I have a shackle in my class III hitch)

In fact, the truck got wind of me wanting to do something cosmetic - driving home tonight the ammeter dropped to zero volts - no charge light yet, so I hope its just the ammeter, but I KNOW its because I was considering accessories today. I'll consider this my warning.

Galen216 - yeah, I dont really like the idea of hitting the trails solo in general. We were toying with the idea of going up to Crabtree falls or something...making a day trip out of it.

I really wanted a chance to play with some of the hi-lift gear I bought (straps, chains, hooks), but was hoping not to really get stuck and *need* to use them.

Sadly I think we are going to have to bail... wish there were trails closer to Richmond (know any?)

ArlowCT
10-30-2009, 10:06 PM
I have found that when winching with a high lift it is best to use chain, wire rope, or in general just something that does not stretch. When you only have 4 feet of pull you don't want to use 3 1/2 just taking slack out of the rigging.

I have I long chain with a grab hook on one end and a slip hook on the other. Run the chain through both front spring hangers and hook it back on it's self with the grab hook. This forms a large triangle with the chain so it won't pull in hard on the frame horns but will load the whole frame not just one side. The slip hook then gets attached to the high lift or whatever you need. This also works the same for hooking onto the rear of a truck.

I have used this many times on the trail when I have found ungraded hardware on a tow hook. And my all time favorite the tow hooks mounted to the front bumper with grade 8 but the bumper was mounted to the truck with ALUMINUM BOLTS :eek:.

NepentheSea
10-30-2009, 10:34 PM
For the cheap route, there are lots of towhooks that would bolt right up to the frame.

And if were talking recovery, (and the not so cheap route) the best thing Ive ever bought for my trucks is a winch. Ive never been stuck to where I couldnt pull myself out. And with a snatch block (pulley) you can almost double your pulling power.
Sure beats cranking on a high lift for 4' at a time!

galen216
11-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Give me a shout when you head to Crabtree Falls. I live about 30-40 minutes from there.

And that trail is very tame you shouldn't need any recovery points. But I would be happy to go along as a recovery vehicle.

galen216
12-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Give me a shout when you head to Crabtree Falls. I live about 30-40 minutes from there.

And that trail is very tame you shouldn't need any recovery points. But I would be happy to go along as a recovery vehicle.

Going out to Crabtree Falls this Tuesday if anybody local is interested.

NickDawson
12-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Going out to Crabtree Falls this Tuesday if anybody local is interested.

drat! going to use the excuse that I am out of town rather than that I blew my transfer case... both are valid but there is only pride on one