PDA

View Full Version : Well I did it - Bought my 1st Land Rover!

Regan
10-30-2009, 05:12 PM
I purchased my 1st LR ,a 1967 Series IIA 88 Tuesday and drove it across U.S. for 1,100 miles to get home. Took me 2.5 days. My ears are still ringing and my body aching! Kind of like driving a cross between a tractor and a truck. I had to keep my eyes in the mirror as well in front of me because I did'nt want to get rear ended. Some people came very close! My average speed was around 55 MPH (downhill, uphill and with a head wind, oh about 40 MPH). No overdrive!
Ok, so hear is the short list of questions I have or learned or developed during my trip. Oh, did I say my wife says I've gone mad! Oh well:
1. Leaks all over - During drive, I had to add 80-90 weight to rear axle 'cause it was flinging it just about everywhere - pinion shaft/transaxle, rear wheel hub/axle, and oil pan. Easy to fix or not?
2. Sloooooow - how can I get more power or speed out of a 2.25L and trans, economically? (someone told me :Sell it!") Beside that?
3. Noisy ( Did I say my ears are still ringing 2nd day?) Rear trans. axle and transmission make a lot of noise, especially starting from dead stop and decelerating? Normal or other?
4. Heat! Without the heater on! Heat from engine area and transmission area or floor and firewall. I think I found my problem as there are old seals and no seals around emergency brake, stick shift, etc. I found a kit at host that will help and will order. Any other ideas?

I really like my new (old) 88! Yes, I was told about the above but I'm hard headed or just love the classic beast, but I'm in it now and not lookin back so any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Regan :D from Cajun Country, LA

NickDawson
10-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Oh, did I say my wife says I've gone mad!
Reagan - congrats on your purchase and welcome to the fold!

Having only proceeded you by about 6 months, I can offer a lot of commiseration but not much technical support. You are, however, in great hands around here.

It sounds like most of the things you are thinking about are the same things that I noticed at first and have since learned are part of series Rover ownership. You said it yourself, its like driving a tractor mixed with a truck!

Regarding leaks, you know thats the butt of most Rover jokes? "rovers don't leak oil, they mark their territory"... But not to be dismissive, its probably a seal in the diff and a good starter weekend project. The guys here will have better advice.

55mph is about tops for the 2.25 w/ no overdrive. Roversdownsouth sells the Fairey OD but its not cheap. My series III has a 2.5L engine and overdrive - I can do 75mph, but honestly anything over 50 feels pretty unsafe - like you said, worried about rear enders, stopping distance, no air bags, etc. Its what I like about a rover, I can't be in a hurry.

They are loud - this board suggested ear plugs for the road trip when I got mine, good solid idea for any trip over 20 minutes (Im sure an ENT would suggest any trip in a rover at all)

Heat - be thankful you have it. period. :D
Actually, the $30 boot kit from our hosts will go a long way in keeping the heat from the e-brake out. They also sell floor mats for the defenders that fit the series trucks perfectly - they will save your feet in the summer from engine heat.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

amcordo
10-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Welcome Regan!

Congrats and commiserations on your first Rover! I'm simultaeously happy for you because you've bought the most wonderful truck/tractor/safari wagon you'll ever see, and sad because your life as you know it is about to change.

It'll start with a few drives around the block, and your wifes dismissal of "let's take the rover" as a realistic way of getting to the grocer.

From there it'll morf into sitting in front of your computer reading all 170 pages of this forum to see what you can do with your truck. Before you know it you'll be repeatedly clicking "refresh" on the first page just to be the first to see any new posts.

The final stage of rovership is when you suddenly find yourself looking at a "Thank you for your purchase" page on Rovers North, and don't remember how you got there or why you're sitting in front of the computer.

NepentheSea
10-30-2009, 06:41 PM
So it leaks, is slow, hot and noisy? Thats it?!
You must have found a brand new '88! Still in the crate!
Congratulations Regan!

And may I please have the honor of being the first to ask you,
PICS! WE WANT ROVER PHOTOS!
(youll hear that alot.) good habits start early! better start practicing now.
and when you post the photos, how 'bout some details of your 1,100 mile trip! I know it didnt know without some interesting events.

Nium
10-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Sloooooow - how can I get more power or speed out of a 2.25L and trans, economically? (someone told me :Sell it!") Beside that?

Easiest method is to bolt an Overdrive to the back of the transfer case.

Rovers Down South has them new...
http://www.faireyoverdrive.com/
or
keep an eye on ebay for a used one.

If you still have the Lucas 25D4 distributor keep up with the low tension lead, about 2 inches of wire from the outside of the distributor to the points, it has a tendency to break and cause the Landy not to run. If you don't already know how to adjust points it would be prudent to learn what points are and how to keep them properly adjusted, always check the points before troubleshooting the carb or anything else. If you have an electronic ignition, a previous owner would have had to have fitted one, then you don't need to worry about points. If you already know all that...

Congratulations on your acquisition and
Welcome Aboard!
Cheers!

NickDawson
10-30-2009, 07:12 PM
From there it'll morf into sitting in front of your computer reading all 170 pages of this forum to see what you can do with your truck

Truer words have not been spoken

greasyhandsagain
10-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Greeting There and Congratulations on stepping up into a Series!

You will need to look after the leaks. For the most part, while its not unusual for a drop or two of oil...the Rover should never be parked above its own oil slick on the tarmac.

The other comments you made regarding the Land Rover are very true. Eventually, you will decide that it is useless to fight these seeming "problems" and accept them for what they are....and intead YOU adapt to the conditions the vehicle wants to give you.

Accept the Vehicle for what it can be at its peak efficency, at top tune, with all the gaskets intact....and make that your performance goal. Earplugs are the best way to go. Rite Aid sells a 33 decibel blue foam set....THEY make a huge difference...

Your Rover is probably noiser now to you since you ran all those parts long and hot and probably low on oil (from the leaks). Perhaps when you seal the gaskets, and top the lubricants..she may be a bit quieter.

Post some Pictures!!!!

gphiver
10-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Congratulations!

1100 miles... and I thought I was the only one crazy enough to consider doing that! I am curious what you bought, from where and how much you paid... since I am in the market and looking.

Put up some photos and good luck. I just saw a Fairey Overdrive on Craigslist for $1100.

bmohan55
10-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Congratulations indeed! 1,100 miles in a Series for a first trip...sounds like a great "honeymoon"! Sounds like you got a good one to do that kind of trip. Now the fun starts.

LRMAN
10-30-2009, 08:24 PM
I did the rear diff seal and oil pan gasket in one afternoon. Fairly easy and very accessible. So far both are holding fluids well(knock, knock). I just need a new old engine so my wife can rebuild it. Mine has a cracked block and only runs on 3 cylinders but it does run. Oil pressure is low and engine is rather knocky at idle. I expect to throw a rod any day now. Luckily it is not a daily driver. The rest of the truck is completely rebuilt or restored.

SeriesShorty
10-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Congratulations and welcome!

jb_
10-31-2009, 01:13 AM
I really like my new (old) 88! Yes, I was told about the above but I'm hard headed or just love the classic beast, but I'm in it now and not lookin back so any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.

Forget the leaks and crap, how many ladies can you fit? Real men want to know.

:D

badvibes
10-31-2009, 03:00 AM
I purchased my 1st LR ,a 1967 Series IIA 88 Tuesday and drove it across U.S. for 1,100 miles to get home. Took me 2.5 days.

Howdy! Couple of years ago scott, from this bbs, and I went to Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri, to pick up and drive back the '64 he'd bought out of Little Rock while he was stationed in Kuwait. Yeah it makes about as much sense now as it did then. We topped off fluids, bought a 5 gallon gas can and hit the road. Google maps says 915 miles from Ft Leonard Wood to Albuquerque, New Mexico but we didn't start out on the interstate. We were going to try to follow Route 66 all the way back. We got in a hurry and ended up doing mostly interstate back though. It was probably closer to 1000 miles and I think we took @ 40 hours. It was a blast. Good times, good times. Great baptism for Series ownership. Yep you're in deep but you're not alone.....

Jeff

Regan
11-02-2009, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the help and yes it will be a project. My wonderful wife has all ready named it: Possie - Piece of Super S#@& i.e. Oh, how much fun it will be! Leaks are growing and now the tire is going flat, just sitting in the driveway. Oh, how much fun, ... Anyhow, the trip was slow, going uphill and against the 20 + MPH winds. I would say it took 1/3 longer than a modern vehicle. Did get hop form transmission asnd engine, but will take care of that. My goal, by the way, is to travel tip to tip in the Americas in this! So, I will be asking a lot of questions.

All in all, it is a red land rover ( repainted) BF Goodrich AT tires and a lot of accessories to boot. Frame on restoration (Part 1, I'm doing part II) Was told it had over $20K invested in it, paid about half of that for it. Just need time $ and patience.

Regan in the Possie.

east high
11-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Welcome to the fold! This summer I took my 88 down the coast of Oregon to CA and back. Round trip approximately 950 or so. All the things you mentioned about your trip rang true on mine. Leaks, noise, heat, plus I had some pretty awesome fumes to deal with too. :rolleyes:

Here's how I dealt with it.

Leaks: meh, some day..

Noise: ear plugs. seriously. Best upgrade you can make to a series :D

Heat: learned this trick from a local guy. Get a bag of ice and chuck it on the floorboard near the tunnel. Ghetto swamp cooler. There's no insulation on these guys, so put that bag of ice between you and the exhaust and ride like the wind!

Speaking from experience I'd be leery of buying a used overdrive unless you know it's good. An overdrive doesn't make you faster, it just reduces the end rpms. You'll still be doing 55, but the motor won't be working as hard to keep that speed.

Love your old rig for what it is and it'll love you back. :thumb-up:

scott
11-03-2009, 11:08 AM
if the leaks are at the rear hubs fix 'em soon. it's easy and cheap. i didn't and all that 90 wieght from the rear diff mixed with brake dust and mud (playing to close to the waters edge) and just about trashed the rear drums and didn't help with stopping. the up side is that once the rear shoes where degreased they appear hardly worn.