PDA

View Full Version : How far do you travel in your Series each year

jb_
10-31-2009, 01:55 AM
I'm coming up to one year owning my Series. I just noticed that I've nearly clocked up 100 km. I think that might include part of the drive home. LOL

How many miles/km do you do?

Jim-ME
10-31-2009, 05:45 AM
I have had mine for 3 years this month and the odometer reads 12,301 mi. Since the speedo was the first of my necessary repairs that adds up to 4100 mi per year.
Jim

SafeAirOne
10-31-2009, 06:55 AM
About 11,000/year here.

JimCT
10-31-2009, 07:09 AM
Bought the ambulance with 25K miles, are at 70K now.

siiirhd88
10-31-2009, 07:11 AM
I've driven my 109 just over 4,000 miles since completion of the frameover in May. I've driven the wife's V8 109 about 14,000 miles so far this year.

Bob

kevin-ct
10-31-2009, 07:41 AM
I drive my Series 3 as much as possible, about 5k a year. and break downs yet!

I just had it up in Stowe VT about 300 miles each way.

Firemanshort
10-31-2009, 08:00 AM
My Stage One is definately a third car / toy. I make about 1K to 2K per year.

NelsAnderson
10-31-2009, 08:47 AM
In the nearly five years that I've owned my 109 I've averaged about 3000 miles a year on it. Which is just about the same as what I put on my daily driver :-)

KevinNY
10-31-2009, 09:03 AM
8-10 thousand miles/year.

badvibes
10-31-2009, 09:28 AM
My truck has been a garage ornament most of this year. In the last 2 months I've put @ 1100 miles on it as a daily driver.

Bertha
10-31-2009, 09:51 AM
In the good old days when my Rover was my only classic vehicle(and at one point my only vehicle) I was logging 12k miles on year on it. Now that the car collection has increased, and needs have changed, the Rover only gets about 1k a year tops. However, I have covered about 70k miles in it since I bought it 20 years ago(it still amazes me we have been together that long).

Tim Smith
11-01-2009, 01:58 PM
The lightweight has been my daily driver on and off for the last decade. I'm guessing it gets around 12,000/year on average.

scott
11-01-2009, 06:49 PM
do towed miles count?

badvibes
11-01-2009, 07:04 PM
do towed miles count?

Sure, whatever you can drag along behind you should count.....

jb_
11-01-2009, 07:04 PM
do towed miles count?.

Haha. That sounds like a topic for another thread. How often do you get towed? How far have you been towed? How often do you break down? (Or for some people, how often do you brake down?)

I think my Series needs to get out more.

I do "brake" down (hill) because mine jumps out of gear. LOL. Something to fix next when I get the right tools.

But I must say that my Series have never let me down. Never going anywhere in it tends to ensure that. Lowering my expectations helps.

badvibes
11-01-2009, 07:07 PM

Haha. That sounds like a topic for another thread.

I like what scott said in a thread on recovery gear, it asked what stuff people carried for recovery, straps, high lifts, etc.

I think scott's answer was a tow bar and a cell phone.

NepentheSea
11-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Most of my trips so far have consisted of a gallant exodus from the barn, rover purring so well that I shout "doesnt it sound great!" with all my might to my lucky passenger whos feet are burning on the aluminum above the exhaust.
Then we break down in an inopportune spot. Rover leaks various fluids in some snooty shop owners parking lot while I wait for a tow home.

About half of my drives are one way.

CliftonRover
11-01-2009, 08:00 PM
About 15,000 miles gets split between my series trucks each year.

Sputnicker
11-01-2009, 08:16 PM
From 1975 to 1981 my Series II 88 was the most dependable of the 5 cars I owned, so I probably put 5000 miles a year on it. I was living in Phoenix at the time and it was also the coolest (in the thermal sense of the word) car to drive, as I didn't have air conditioning on any of the others and the front vents worked pretty well as long as we were moving. The exception was my right foot, which always got pretty hot if I drove for any distance.

In 82 I moved to Los Angeles and the car stayed with my folks in the mountains of Arizona, where I visited it a few times a year. I would start it up once or twice a year and drive a bit in the local mountains. It was kind of like that old Volkswagen Beetle in the movie "Sleeper," which started right up after being in a cave for several decades. As long as I kept the fuel tank topped up, the gas would stay fresh enough to burn. With a charged battery and a squirt or two of starting fluid the truck always started - every time for 27 years. The brakes also continued to function and hold fluid for all those years. I credit the incredibly low humidity as there just isn't any moisture to interact with the gas or the brake fluid.

So for the past 27 years, I have probably averaged less than 100 miles per year. Since I'm not as busy with the career, I've had more time to spend with the Old Rover during longer and more-frequent visits with my elderly parents. I'm about half-way through a mechanical restoration of everything but the engine and transmission. I should be finished in a few months, after which I intend to put some miles on it again.

I doubt it will ever be a daily driver again - my plan is to use it primarily for adventure. The Southwest is an ideal place to use a Land Rover and if you choose the right altitude, you can camp and explore all year round. I'm also thinking about the Pan American highway.

I'm pleased to report (while knocking on wood) that I have never been stranded by, or had to tow my trusty Rover. As an ex-British car mechanic, I find this to be an anomaly, a great blessing and a testament to the engineers in Solihull. Even a broken axle didn't stop me from driving it home. That said, I have always carried tools, fluids and spare parts and have, on occasion, had to employ them.

Nium
11-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Sputnicker you remind me of a positive point of living in Greater Phoenix, the lack of rust. I lived in Tempe for about 8 years, 6 of which I had Ronnie. For all the years I lived there all the steel bare metal spots never rusted and any exsisting rust from having stayed in Key West, FL before I drove 'im out to Zona never progressed any. Now that I've been in PA, going on 10 years now, rust has become a problem humidity is no fun on the steel. I almost found an old ghost town north of Phoenix place called Humbug but had to turn around before I got there.

How much do I drive Ronnie a year? Not as much as I'd like.:(

scott
11-02-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm averaging 6000 per year and estimate about 90% of that I didn't have to push or pull it. Hence her name "princess died"

Blueboy
11-03-2009, 04:50 PM
now that we are back living in the US, we're using the 109 pretty frequently especially for our trips from NY to PA.

probably added about 5k miles this year.

still, will not drive it in the Winter here in NY.

greasyhandsagain
11-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Id say no more than 400 miles per year, maybe a little more...but thats pretty much getting to/driving the trail network in the forests around here. Never any real road trips other than the occasional open road tour some early evening when she is running strong. But Im very kind to her on the trail, never hit anything, or broke anything...and keep it to a nice walking pace.

Id love to be able to say Id like to take a long road trip...hundreds of miles, but I really dont think that old 2 litre engine needs that stress level. Even thinking of taking a long road trip makes me want to break out the maps and find a network of little country roads that gets me there....

Lalo88DK
11-15-2009, 01:29 AM
15000 miles every year, it's my everyday vehicle.

Terrys
11-15-2009, 06:13 AM
I just sold my 109 this week. I wore it out. I drove it 92 miles this past year. That one only got used to collect sap during sugaring season, and I'm replacing it with a '64 88. I have too much fun here, so I don't have much reason to go out, but when I do, my 4-5K a year gets divided between my 110 and my diesel benz wagon.

Bostonian1976
11-15-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm usually about 2k a year. Since it gets stored during salty winters, that leaves a large chunk of time I don't drive it.