PDA

View Full Version : Starting problems

jtbishop
02-14-2007, 08:22 AM
I have a Stage 1 109V8 which is having problems starting. The battery is good, but when I turn the ignition there is a click and the power is lost throughout. Then 5 mins later the the power from the battery is back on until I turn the ignition.

Any suggestions or advice where I need to start looking?

Many thanks

Jonathan

Les Parker
02-14-2007, 08:36 AM
Hello there,
When you crank the engine, do all the dash lights go out?
Sounds like the armature is shorting out. Probably the starter has reached its "sell by date" and needs to be replaced.
RN offers PLE867 New starter for $299.95, plus shipping
Regards

jtbishop
02-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the reply - the lights on the dash light up when I turn the key to the first position and then when I turn to start the engine everything shuts off - no power.

I thougtht that there must be a short somewhere, but why would the power come back on after a while by itself. What would be the best way to check the armature in situ to check for a short?

As anyone can guess, I'm new to this and any advice would be welcome.

Jonathan

Les Parker
02-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Hello,
The best way is to remove the starter and do some checks with it removed from the engine, by doing continuity checks on the solenoid, armature and field coils.
If you have a "sticky" solenoid, this can cause a temporary short which will clear itself when the power is removed and the solenoid resets itself.
Regards

jtbishop
02-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks very much for your help, I'll check it and see if it needs replacing.

Which Bosch starter does RN sell - is it the one that is in the Defender V8 and Disco? Does RN sell the solenoid separately if that proves to be the problem?

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Les Parker
02-14-2007, 10:04 AM
RN sells the "Cold Climate" Bosch starter.
Sorry but we do not sell the solenoid by itself.
Regards:thumb-up:

LaneRover
02-14-2007, 11:21 AM
I completely agree that it is your starter. I had the exact same problem in my '65 109 SW. Turn the key, hear a click and no power to anything. 5 minutes later all power is back but if you try to start it the same thing happens. I replaced the starter and everything was fine.

LaneRover

jtbishop
02-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Thanks - I checked the starter and solenoid a la LRV8 supplement and you're right. So I'll be placing my order later today - Thanks for all your help.

jtbishop
02-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Just a quick note - whilst I'm waiting for the new starter motor, I disconected the positive lead from the battery and the power cable spade to the solenoid. When these were reattached, everything came back to life and started up fine. After a couple of days of working fine, the same thing happened and was only resolved by disconnecting the power again.

Would this indicate that there is a short in the starter as the above and therefore I should replace as I had planned or could it be something else? I might have got wrong results from my checks, and I'm worried I might be replacing a perfectly good starter and that the issue is elsewhere.

Thanks for the previous input, I'm on a steep learning curve but enjoying every minute of it.

jp-
02-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Sounds like a solenoid to me.

a109
02-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Sounds like dirty battery connections. Always clean these before doing expensive repairs.

John