11-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Other honorable mentions:

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-4062-rubber-bump-bonnet-tire.aspx

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1443-bumper-bonnetbulkhead-.aspx

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1945-lifting-ring-front-exmod.aspx

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-4334-lifting-ring-rear-exmod.aspx

BackInA88
11-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Oh I think this is the best one I've found.
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-3607-bracket-alternator-mount.aspx (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/../store/p-3607-bracket-alternator-mount.aspx)

yank
11-01-2009, 04:37 PM
I went back to the garage and made the old ones work.

Terrys
11-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Unless the ones from RN are made of unobtainium, they are the same as the 80 cent ones I got at Carquest

jb_
11-01-2009, 06:36 PM
And there was I thinking that Whitworth spanners/wrenches were expensive.

On the other hand, I did manage to buy:

- clutch pedal spring
- set of gearbox detent springs
- clutch master & slave cylinder kits

for a total on A$25.

I was happy about that.

Apis Mellifera
11-01-2009, 06:48 PM
It's not the parts that are expensive. It costs a lot on money to print the green oval that goes on the green label that goes on the plastic bag that holds the part.

I've heard this phenomenon referred to as "the Corvette Tax" in GM circles.

JimCT
11-01-2009, 08:20 PM
No one is forcing you to buy from RN, and lots of us are amazed at their costumer service and help. Really curious what your point is?

CliftonRover
11-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Those items might be priced high because of avalibility. I buy from Rovers North because they know what they are talking about. Also going to school outside Albany near one of their competitors and visiting this place has only reassured me that Rovers North is where I should buy parts.

JimCT
11-01-2009, 08:33 PM
There is much more than just the price. You are dealing with a group of folks that really care about rovers.

LaneRover
11-01-2009, 09:14 PM
No one is forcing you to buy from RN, and lots of us are amazed at their costumer service and help. Really curious what your point is?

I think that someone can like RN, buy parts from them and still think that some things seem to be ungodly expensive for what it is. It doesn't mean that they are saying that all the parts are expensive or that RN is crazy for charging so much.

I think that folks realize that RN has to charge A LOT on some things that are rare, or made of unobtanium. Doesn't mean they are about to spend $45 for a round piece of rubber and a bolt or think that RN is evil for charging it.

Besides, I think RN is big enough to take a little good natured ribbing on a few things.:D

yank
11-02-2009, 05:12 AM
I was hoping that was the wrong price. I was not bashing RN or hoping to start a negative thread. That just seams crazy expensive for a stud?

thixon
11-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Same things been happening for other brit cars. These things are getting old.

greasyhandsagain
11-02-2009, 09:20 AM
.......well I just had a case of sticker shock on a price quote from Dunsfold........

You know...on that Hood Bumper, think about it. Does, or HAS, one of these ever worn out in service? The average Rover is NOT going to ever need one of these.....so your market boils down to restorers, "pebble beach level" vehicles, and whats that term I heard ?Rivit Counters?.

So, either you make do with your old funky hard chunk of totally hidden rubber, which will probably have a service live of five centuries, or do you cough up large modern jingle money for a "New" one, complete with that sweet little dusting of rubber dust, and that crisp die injection mold trim remnant. The bolt, deep in its British Steelness, yet unrusted, or untested. Suitable for the Finest Show Truck!

So...point it, there is always a market for the top example of anything, there are people out there who want new bumpers for their tire, there are people who can make do with the forty year old ones they already have.

Take some time to log onto ebay UK and search the series land rover parts. A lot of this small stuff is cheap and small packet rates arent much. A nice source for goodies.

thixon
11-02-2009, 09:54 AM
For some of the small stuff, you can get creative. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. We're talking Rovers, not Ferraris. If you make the rubber bumper out of some old scrap piece of rubber you found on an old refridgerator, so be it. No one will give you crap. Well, maybe that guy selling the rovers with the 20K paint jobs.

LC_rover
11-02-2009, 10:03 AM
That's kind of the way I feel about it too. For all intents and purposes, its a comfortable tractor. Having a few homemade parts on one is a badge of honor and ingenuity. :thumb-up:

LaneRover
11-02-2009, 10:24 AM
That's kind of the way I feel about it too. For all intents and purposes, its a comfortable tractor. Having a few homemade parts on one is a badge of honor and ingenuity. :thumb-up:

Heck, one of mine has rather large shell casing plugging up on of the unneeded vacuum hoses.

kevkon
11-02-2009, 10:52 AM
We are actually extremely lucky as Rover owners that there is such a wide spectrum of parts available, from used, oem, to repro. It's up to each as to how much we care to spend on parts and anyone holding new old stock parts is absolutely fair to ask as much as the market will bear. Sometimes it seems extreme, especially for rather simple and unglamorous parts, but that's the way it works as those parts are often the ones that are no longer produced. I have been all through this with my Nortons and it's one reason I don't ever throw out old parts unless they are absolutely beyond hope.

Rineheitzgabot
11-02-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm with JimCT:

It's capitalism, baby.

Any business knows where their costs are, and uses this to price their products or services. I would guess that RN's costs are largely warehouse-oriented (i.e., material handling, interest expense, etc.), and admin-oriented.

In other words, it costs RN a certain amount to simply have a person sit on the phone and take orders, or enter orders off the website. Then, to process the order, from picking it, to packing it, to shipping it.

In the retail-type business that RN does, they probably have a break-even point that they can measure, and know that they need to sell X, in order to meet it, and then X+Y in order to make a profit. Of course there are other costs, but this is generally true.

I'd be willing to bet that RN is not making the margin that you think they are off that $22 bolt, if you consider what it costs them to process your order, for it. I would also guess that the cheaper the part, the more one would run into this phenomena.

In short, value comes in many forms; knowledgeable staff, love of Rovers-and simply wanting to patronize them for that reason, convenience, etc. If you don't want to pay; then don't. Go to the local Do It Best, and get it there.

I realize that Yank may have been asking if it was a genuine price, but most of the people following his post weren't.

-Gary

BackInA88
11-02-2009, 03:44 PM
.You know...on that Hood Bumper, think about it. Does, or HAS, one of these ever worn out in service? The average Rover is NOT going to ever need one of these.....so your market boils down to restorers, "pebble beach level" vehicles, and whats that term I heard ?Rivit Counters?.

I'm not a "rivet counter" by any means.
My rig was missing these bumpers when I got it.
Hood rattled on the bulkhead so I want to get some.
Order a bunch of stuff from RN but couldn't do $13 each for a rubber bumper.
Got them brand new from another vendor for .99 each.
I buy 80% of my stuff from RN as long as their prices are in-line.
I have taken advantage of their free shipping offer more times than my wife would like.
I have to say, I have only talked to someone there a couple times and that was only because I couldn't find something on their site which is were I place almost all my orders.

I like RN a lot, but I do shop around.
And there is no way I'll ever pay $204 for a lower alternator mounting bracket.
I'll find one some day at a swap meet for $5.:thumb-up:

Steve

gudjeon
11-02-2009, 08:58 PM
I shop around too. Being on the Canuck side of the border, our good people ding us import duty for bringing stuff in from the US. This limits what I am willing to pay as it adds on top of the costs.

If you think Land Rover parts for a series is expensive, you haven't bought anything for a late model auto lately. That will shock you back into perspective.:eek:

jb_
11-02-2009, 09:43 PM
If you think Land Rover parts for a series is expensive, you haven't bought anything for a late model auto lately. That will shock you back into perspective.:eek:

How about $700 for an oxygen sensor for an 8 year old Citroen van? Oh and $85 at a dealer workshop for them just to connect the electronic gizmo to reset the error code. Plus labour of course. It isn't possible to make the diagnostic light go out without resetting the code (or without removing the lamp).

Sputnicker
11-02-2009, 09:49 PM
I've been very impressed by the availability of parts and the amount of competition among suppliers. I think we are all very fortunate that there are so many out there who are still supporting these relics. I hope they are all making a profit and continue to prosper. It seems like a healthy symbiosis to me. We keep buying parts; they keep making them; competition keeps the price down; Land Rovers keep rolling. It's all good - may it last forever.

I have a feeling that when internal combustion engines have all gone the way of the dinosaurs, the last one running will be in a Series Land Rover.

vansdonk
11-03-2009, 11:06 AM
It isn't possible to make the diagnostic light go out without resetting the code (or without removing the lamp).

Yes, use a bit of black electrical tape, cut it to approximately the size of the light, place over light, voile. That's how I set the time on all the DVD players and such around the house.:p

Winooski
11-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Hello all, new to the forum and Rovers in general, have some questions for you regarding the very pesky bonnet bumpers for the spare tire. I have a '72 Series III 109" pick-up and the truck came without those bumpers. Previous owner had the truck re-painted and (I assume) never put them back on. $40 is obviously too much, so I am looking for alternatives. One comment on this thread indicated they could be found for 99 cents, could you send the info as to where you found those? Or measurements of the bumpers so I can rig something up? Thanks.

jac04
11-05-2009, 02:19 PM
^^The $.99 bumpers are the ones at the back of the hood - between the hood and the bulkhead.

MRC5627 are the bumpers for the spare. PA Blanchard has them cheap, but you will need to pay shipping:
https://secure.pablanchard.co.uk/product.asp?productID=30818

Winooski
11-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the info! I'll see what I can find.