X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TJR
    2nd Gear
    • Dec 2006

Rebuilding rear tow plate...88 Ser III

I'm rebuilding my rear tow plate and I'm wondering exactly what the rectangular welded on plate on the back of the OEM towplate is for? (the one directly behind the large 5/8 dia holes)

Is it simply a spacer to shim the plate to adjust for the upper body tab mount.

A while back I recall a thread about someones Galv. rear cross memeber rusting baddly die to trapped stuff behind the towplate. This seems to be a good way to trap stuff in there. ... TJR
  • Firemanshort
    2nd Gear
    • Nov 2006

I think it is for spacing - as you described.
    Firemanshort
    1980 Stage One
    (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)

Comment

• jp-
      5th Gear
      • Oct 2006

I drew this up for you in Mechanical Desktop. On all of the tow plates that I have seen (taken off), there are four main bolts; two large 5/8" bolts and two smaller 3/8" bolts. Immediately behind the plate you should have one thick spacer (washer) for each bolt. These should be about 3/16" thick. Next should be the frame, and behind that (on the back of the frame) goes the rectangular plate. There should be two rectangular plates, one for the 5/8" holes, and one for the 3/8" holes. These plates on the back of the frame prevent the hitch (bolts) from ripping out of the frame if the hitch were to take a severe jerk.

61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
      66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
      66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
      67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
      88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

Working...