PDA

View Full Version : wiper cable motor access?

Neo
11-04-2009, 08:36 AM
I did search first, but to no avail,
My wipers are making a loud knock when at the far left part of the swing. I figure they probably need a little TLC (cleaning, grease etc) and want to get in there and perform the needed service. Do I access all the through the dash? I took the part with the guages off, and can't see the motor or cable there. Any suggestions? Thsi seems like it shoudl not be that difficult. Thanks for any help.

Maryland 110
11-04-2009, 06:44 PM
The lower left corner of the dash (padded black part) that is about 8-10 inches long is called the wiper cover. Some trucks have switches mounted here depending on year model. The wiper motor is held to the bulkhead by a band (two screws) and a single bolt. The wiper "rack" is a simple worm drive cable. With the arms and blades removed from the posts out on the windsheild you can simply pull the motor and cable out as a unit once you have removed the fasteners and unpluged the wiring multi plug @ the top of the motor. These things are supposed to be liberally greased. I suggest using synthetic-especially if you are in an area that gets below 0 f. Suggest you get a workshop manual.