PDA

View Full Version : Rear Main Seal Instructions?

DiscoDave
11-04-2009, 09:34 AM
As luck would have it, we're in the middle of packing to move and the Green Bible is packed :( My rear main seal kit did arrive though and I was wondering if anybody had a scan of the replacement procedures handy?

In between battling with the builder, packing, work and kids I may have time to knock it out this weekend.

Thanks-

Dave

scott
11-04-2009, 12:09 PM
dave it ain't difficult. i just did it the other day. the only thing i got from the GB was the backlash specs for the bearings. just pay attention to how ya pull it apart and reverse the order. and before hammering (rubber mallot) the seal into the back side of the hub don't for get to drop in the inner bearing (i wasted a seal here).

after reassembling, tighten the inner nut, put on the lock washer, tighten the outer nut. i then put my magnetic based dial indicator on the backplate (it helped that my wheel cylinder was off) so that a zero out dial rested on the face of the hub such that when the hub is spun the wheel lugs don't hit the dial indicator. spin the hub a bunch, then yank on it to get a reading on the dial indicator. should get you get between .04 and .06. if not remove outer nut and washer tighten or loosen the inner nut, put the washer and outer nut back on, spin again, yank on it and read the dial. repeat 'til the backlash of the hub is in specs or you run out of beer