PDA

View Full Version : Soft top clippie thingies

SeriesShorty
11-04-2009, 01:05 PM
So I have no idea what these bits are called, but they are the small brass colored metal pieces that fold over the end of the soft top straps to keep them from fraying.

What are they called and where do ya get them from? Preferrably if they come in a material that doesn't rust.

I checked here but I didn't see them listed...

Thanks,
Jen

LC_rover
11-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Usually, when you stop the end of a rope from fraying, its called "whipping". But I am not sure if the term applies to those brass things. You can accomplish the same thing with tape, or a smaller string or thread that is wrapped around and around the end of the rope and tied tightly.

Look up "rope whipping" for examples. Maybe they are called "brass whipping" or something?

SeriesShorty
11-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Oh my!!!

I won't even bother telling you what my searches came up with when using "strap whipping"... :o

scott
11-04-2009, 02:17 PM
oh com'n, do tell and post pics!

LC_rover
11-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Actually, I replaced the original ropes on my soft top with 550 parachute cord from a military surplus store. I think it does a much better job sliding through the stays, and the ends are just burned with a torch to melt them and stop fraying.

scott
11-04-2009, 02:51 PM
go to http://nationalwebbing.com/metal-hardware.htm and scroll down the page you'll find the metal clippy things that keep straps from fraying

SeriesShorty
11-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks Scott, that link was perfect! What I need is listed under Clasps.

And "claps" produces a lot less web results for S&M sites!