PDA

View Full Version : Work lamp install

jrd51ox
11-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Just ordered a rear work lamp for my SIII from our host. First, does anyone have install tips or pics from past projects? *(hiding wires, switch locations, etc.)

Also, I still haven't decided on a location. Suggestions or pics are welcomed.

*Mine is an 88 hardtop.

Thanks everyone.

scott
11-04-2009, 01:40 PM
if i had a hardtop i'd mount it above the rear door opposit the hinge side. that way you could point it into the tub when the door was openned to light up your tool box for those late night road repairs

Myron
11-05-2009, 09:33 PM
I recently put mine on the right side of the car. I'd rather it was on the left, but then it would have fouled on the roof rack ladder. I ran the power lead to the dome light, and the ground straight down the corner of the roof (inside) to the tail lamp ground terminal. I've seen many other installations with the lamp in the center of the roof.

Myron

Dav1550
11-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Copied an install of ECR and made up a new bracket & spacer that fits under the rear door upper hinge. Saved from having to drill any holes and additionally position allowed for running the wire between the top and window side then down along the inside rear door frame over to the right interior light cover. From there the wires follow the wiring harness through the chassis to a relay mounted on the inside right wing and into the centre dash with a toggle switch & indicator light.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/Raincrow1/Roverrearlamp003.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/Raincrow1/Roverrearlamp006.jpg

ArlowCT
11-07-2009, 11:19 AM
If you do any off-roading be careful on how high you mount it. I had mine mounted to the left side above the door, it was nicely protected with the roof rack at that point. First time I went into the woods without the rack I ended up ripping the light right off the truck with a branch that cleared the roof but then snagged the handle on the top of the light. Real quick way to bust a real nice expensive light.

I now have two smaller lights mounted just below the body cappings to the lleft and right of the rear door. Wires run right into the compartments that hide the wiring for the rear lights. One nice thing about it not being up high is they don't shine right in your face as you walk up to the back of the truck. :)

Cheers.

gudjeon
11-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Mounted mine low just above a grab bar. Protected somewhat down there. The mounting stud is the same size as the back tub mounting bolts. Wired to a 20 amp rated lighted toggle on the dash. Cheap and cheerful.:thumb-up:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/gudjeon/RoverRocks001.jpg

kevkon
11-07-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm surprised no mentioned mounting it under the hood:D

jb_
11-07-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm surprised no mentioned mounting it under the hood:D

Or underneath so that you can admire the drips at night. LOL.

Real men love drips. :eek:

NickDawson
11-08-2009, 03:56 PM
The PO installed mine in the hard top (which leaves me ligh-less when I'm running the soft top)
The wires run along the inside 'gutter' and down the side of the windscreen. There is a switch on the back of the light itself. I have it wired to a fuse that is switched by the ignition.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2624/4044058820_8c68c455ae.jpg

Nium
11-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Nick,
Your spare is on the wrong end.:D

siiirhd88
11-08-2009, 05:18 PM
I mounted my work light on my soft top 109 on a bracket above (and behind) the license plate lamp. I bought the bracket from our host, but one could be easily made from aluminum or steel angle. The work light is actually a cheap halogen fog lamp, and is wired via a relay to an 'on-off-on' toggle switch and indicating light. In one position the work lamp and indicating light are lit, in the other position the work lamp comes on with the reverse lamps when shifted into reverse. The toggle switch is actually a Lucas turn signal switch from a Bugeye Sprite, and the indicating light is a blue high beam dash light from a '70s MG Midget.

Bob
'96 Disco SE7
'81 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

jb_
11-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Nick,

My spare is in the middle. Is that a problem? :rolleyes:

It is on the right. Maybe left hand corners are more difficult now? :sly:

I figured that the new retread tyre would be better inside. All the rest of the rubber bits on my Series are seriously degraded in a Land Rover kind of way. :(

I need to buy a kit of all the rubber bits. :thumb-up:

NickDawson
11-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Nick,

HA!

Funny enough, the truck drives sooo much more nicely since moving it from the middle. I have the 3rd henge, so far, it seems to work well. Haven't take it off road with the counter weight yet.

bmohan55
11-10-2009, 09:17 AM
HA!

Funny enough, the truck drives sooo much more nicely since moving it from the middle. I have the 3rd henge, so far, it seems to work well. Haven't take it off road with the counter weight yet.

A 100lb+ tire on the hood is just the ticket for very steep hill climbs...as long as you don't mind guessing where the trail leads once you're up!

jrd51ox
11-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks everyone...some great ideas, I'm sure I'll stress over this little project until Saturday, then just start drilling.

Still not 100% sure how I'm doing this yet, but will post a pic once complete.

jrd51ox
11-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Easy install this weekend, went with the upper right side, with hopes of one day adding a ladder to the right side to go with a rack.