PDA

View Full Version : Series Rover Simplicty

TJR
11-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Well , As I'm struggling to repair a lower timimg chain breakage on my '98 Nissan Altima..It really makes me wish I was working on the simple Rover engine... It's taken me all day to get the darn thing nearly apart! :mad:

Talbot

Mercedesrover
11-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Hmmmm. Chain? Wonder if that's a collision motor. Might want to do a little research on that before you bother to pull the motor apart. Sounds like you might be in for a used motor.

Buy I hear ya. Just did heads on my wife's WRX turbo. I've swapped Subaru motors in 4 hours, but this 4-cam turbo took me 5 hours just to get out of the car. After it was fixed I quickly traded it in on a 2-cam Outback. I'm a fan of the simple stuff.

TJR
11-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Hmmmm. Chain? Wonder if that's a collision motor. Might want to do a little research on that before you bother to pull the motor apart. Sounds like you might be in for a used motor.

Yes it is a "zero Clrnc" design. I'm not certain a vavle hit , but.... there was a moment when it felt like I hit a solid object :eek:, just before the chain must have skipped time..

This is probably the final days of this vehicle. The new goodyear tires on it are work more than the wholel car now...

some pics.. here... I regret I took a doy off work to work on this. I'd rather have spent the time working on my LR engine!!! :thumb-up:

http://picasaweb.google.com/88seriesiii/1998AltimaTimingChain#

..Talbot