X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JackIIA
    5th Gear
    • Dec 2008

Dunking Bulkhead Door Posts in Primer

Looking for thoughts on using a general multi-purpose primer to dunk the door posts and upper bulkhead internals (similiar to what ECR does). I'm sure Mike S. uses ppg or something topshelf, but what about just using an off-the-shelf product like Home Depot's Zinnser?

The directions say it can be used on bare steel, galvanized steel, alum., etc. My plan is to dunk the bulkhead and then media blast the external areas back to bare metal, then paint with a proper automotive paint. But given how much paint is required to fill a dunking tank, I don't want to buy 5 gals of the auto specific stuff.
    Last edited by JackIIA; 08-18-2010, 10:14 PM.
    1970 88 IIA
  • Eric W S
    5th Gear
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by JackIIA
    Looking for thoughts on using a general multi-purpose primer to dunk the door posts and upper bulkhead internals (similiar to what ECR does). I'm sure Mike S. uses ppg or something topshelf, but what about just using an off-the-shelf product like Home Depot's Zinnser?

The directions say it can be used on bare steel, galvanized steel, alum., etc. My plan is to dunk the bulkhead and then media blast the external areas back to bare metal, then paint with a proper automotive paint. But given how much paint is required to fill a dunking tank, I don't want to buy 5 gals of the auto specific stuff.
    Why dunk then strip then paint?

Just strip galvanize and be done with it. Mike's claims of longevity with epoxy primer is suspect IMO...

Comment

• kevkon
      3rd Gear
      • Aug 2009

You would be wasting your time. First off, that's a latex primer. Latex is particular about clean surfaces. How did or could you clean those internal areas? Second, latex has a high molecular cohesion. In other words, it doesn't flow out well. Third, if it's rust your trying to prevent the best method is to provide a means for trapped moisture to escape. Even the best paints and coatings will eventually succumb if there subjected to constant moisture. Personally, I'd either have it galvanized or make sure all cavities can "breath" or vent, prime and paint what can be, then us a quality anti corrosive coating ( waxoyl, 3M, etc) to get into the cavities.
      94 D-90 tdi
      72 Series III

Comment

• Mercedesrover
        3rd Gear
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by kevkon
        You would be wasting your time.
        X2. That's for your kitchen. Use automotive products on automobiles.
        www.seriestrek.com

Comment

• JackIIA
          5th Gear
          • Dec 2008

Nixnay on the HD Stuff Then

Glad I asked, lesson learned (and big mess averted). Well, I'll probably just shoot it as best I can with automotive paint, then go with the waxoyl.

But to your points on the galv. front, have any of you actually had your bulkhead dipped? I've just assumed it was crazy expensive.

If so, what did it run you $...if you don't mind. Thanks, Jack.
          1970 88 IIA

Comment

• crankin
            5th Gear
            • Jul 2008

It all depends on who is doing it. I found a company here in East TN that dunked 200 lbs. for $150.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Comment

• redmondrover
              1st Gear
              • Nov 2007

Chemical Strip followed by galvanizing

Our bulkhead, tunnel cover, core support, new T-posts and some custom side steps are being chemically stripped right now in Portland. Pricey at $600 for the lot. Don't know what the galvanizing will run yet. That is a couple of weeks away after new footwells are welded in.

Comment

• kevkon
                3rd Gear
                • Aug 2009

Jack, you might want to explore some alternatives to plating. Modern anti-corrosive coatings have come a long way and offer some disinct advantages over zinc plating.
                94 D-90 tdi
                72 Series III

Comment

• Eric W S
                  5th Gear
                  • Dec 2006

Glad I asked, lesson learned (and big mess averted). Well, I'll probably just shoot it as best I can with automotive paint, then go with the waxoyl.

But to your points on the galv. front, have any of you actually had your bulkhead dipped? I've just assumed it was crazy expensive.

If so, what did it run you $...if you don't mind. Thanks, Jack.
                  I'll tell you how much when Ike gives me the bill.

But generally it's not that expensive at all.

Comment

• Jim-ME
                    Overdrive
                    • Oct 2006

What are the alternatives? Living in Maine is really limiting my realistic options.
                    Jim

Comment

• Bertha
                      3rd Gear
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by kevkon
                      Jack, you might want to explore some alternatives to plating. Modern anti-corrosive coatings have come a long way and offer some disinct advantages over zinc plating.
                      Good point.
                      A good epoxy primer and a wax type rust proof(check out the wurth website, its the same stuff MB, BMW and Porsche use to protect their cars) will work fine and lasts indefintely. I have been using this process for many years with great results. Galving is overkill IMO and you will never be able to get a decent looking paint finish on it.
                      1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
                      1971 88 (restored and as new)
                      1967 88 (the next project)

Comment

• leafsprung
                        Overdrive
                        • Nov 2006

If I lived in any state that had road salt I would not consider anything but galvanizing. Paint does NOT last indefinitely. I cannot think of any advantages paint has . . . .

Comment

• Eric W S
                          5th Gear
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Bertha
                          Galving is overkill IMO and you will never be able to get a decent looking paint finish on it.
                          What do base this on? The paint on my bulkhead that the PO galvanized is fine. So is the paint on the galvanized breakfast. You can't tell either piece was plated by looking at them.

Had the PO repaired the bulkhead right to begin with I would not have had to get Ike to repair another one for me.

I talked to my body guy at length. He's painted over galv and gets great results. The adhesion problem is due to cheaping out on the prep, that's it. Spend the money and you'll get great results.

Hopefully Ike will have my bulkhead back to me soon. It's at the Galv shop now. I'll post pics of the paint once done...

Galv is the only way to go. Do your own homework. I could have had just about any anti-corrosive material applied. I stuck with Galv for a reason...

Comment

• jb_
                            Low Range
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Bertha
                            Good point.
                            A good epoxy primer and a wax type rust proof(check out the wurth website, its the same stuff MB, BMW and Porsche use to protect their cars) will work fine and lasts indefintely.
                            I used to work in the automotive industry and the paint process that was state of the art was an electrocoat first coat after a phosphate wash.
                            '74 Series III 109" RHD
                            The Chaffcutter (choof choof phut phut)

Comment

• kevkon
                              3rd Gear
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by leafsprung
                              If I lived in any state that had road salt I would not consider anything but galvanizing. Paint does NOT last indefinitely. I cannot think of any advantages paint has . . . .
                              Actually, zinc galvanizing does not stand up particularly well over time to salt or acids I (if it did the boat guys could save a bundle on stainless) .In fact it can't be used with the new treated wood for that reason. Actually some of the modern paints do better in that regard. As Bertha and JB stated, the electrocoat primers are state of the art in corrosion resistance.
                              I agree with Eric that you can finish galvanized metal, but there's added prep and you had better hope it's done correctly.
                              94 D-90 tdi
                              72 Series III

Comment

Working...