PDA

View Full Version : 88 Chassis

Nium
11-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Is there a RHD chassis and a LHD chassis for the 88"? Does the body make the difference between the two?

martindktm
11-07-2009, 06:54 PM
I think its the same chassis. I did order one and they never asked me if it was left hand or right hand. And I can't find nothing about that on the Richards and Marsland web site.

Nium
11-07-2009, 07:08 PM
I've never seen anything to indicate a difference for the chassis between LHD and RHD either but I recently saw a used chassis for sale listing it as a RHD chassis and it made me wonder if there really is a difference or if someone's fingers just got away from them in writing up the chassis description.

Thanks for reply martindktm.

siiirhd88
11-07-2009, 09:10 PM
The factory chassis, with the exception of military chassis, are specific for RHD and LHD trucks, due to only having one hole and mount on the front crossmember for the steering relay. The replacement chassis I have bought have had the steering relay locations on both sides, allowing use for RHD or LHD. One new chassis I bought second hand a number of years ago was LHD only, however.

Bob
'96 Disco SE7
'81 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

Nium
11-08-2009, 04:46 PM
The factory chassis, with the exception of military chassis, are specific for RHD and LHD trucks, due to only having one hole and mount on the front crossmember for the steering relay. The replacement chassis I have bought have had the steering relay locations on both sides, allowing use for RHD or LHD. One new chassis I bought second hand a number of years ago was LHD only, however.

That's it. Just steering box position. Sheesh. Seems like Land Rover would have just made a universal chassis with the steering mounting on both sides but I guess it saved a little money doing it RHD or LHD dependant on market.

Thanx :thumb-up:

siiirhd88
11-08-2009, 05:34 PM
I have also noted that some factory chassis were missing some of the exhaust hangar brackets to allow mounting both right hand or left hand exhaust exits. I don't know if it was RHR or LHD related, or year / model specific.

Bob

'96 Disco SE7
'81 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68SIIA 109 V8

Drain Rovers2
11-09-2009, 02:32 PM
The North American Spec is the one with only a left hand drive steering relay hole... They make ones with right hand drive only there was on on rovers north for sale a while ago give them a call lots have both holes

Les Parker
11-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Anorther thought is why theere were LHD and RHD front axles.
If both steering levers had 2 holes for the ball joints, a fortune could have been saved over the years with double manufacturing and storage......:confused: