View Full Version : Flasher switch

Walker
11-08-2009, 10:52 AM
:cool:Has anyone used a generic or after-market emergency flasher switch in an S3? I know our hosts carry the replacement part but it is quite pricey.
Thanks for any input and I enjoy the commentary many of you provide:eek:.

Art

SafeAirOne
11-08-2009, 10:55 AM
:cool:Has anyone used a generic or after-market emergency flasher switch in an S3? I know our hosts carry the replacement part but it is quite pricey.
Thanks for any input and enjoy the commentary many of you provide:eek:.

Art

Mine came with one, installed 2 POs ago in the UK, I think. I didn't know our hosts carried them--I'll have to check the catalog. I'm fairly sure that mine is not genuine. It's a big pull-out knob with a flasher relay in the back. The knob is lighted and flashes red when you pull it out (and wiggle it to get it to make good contact).

Daurie
11-08-2009, 02:11 PM
(and wiggle it to get it to make good contact).

That sounds like an original to me.. LOL

Walker
11-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Done that a time or two (or more) myself. The OEM switch in my S3 just crumbled while I was doing some wiring and spendin $100 + for something that sells for about $10-20 after market is galling.:mad:

LC_rover
11-08-2009, 03:57 PM
The original switch cover cracked on mine too. My switch works, and the bulb works, but I have no cover for it.

siiirhd88
11-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Several other English cars use the same type switch that uses the clear red plastic thread on knob, with the triangle display. (Triumph TR6, for one). You might be able to find a used switch or knob from one of the Brit car vendors. The aftermarket type switches should work fine in a Series, however.

Bob
'96 Disco SE7
'81 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

Walker
11-08-2009, 06:30 PM
I pulled my switch out to make sure what I was looking for and it has 5 wire connections plus the center light wire. Most of the after markets come with 4 wire connections. I'm not enough of an electrician to trust myself to combine the wires correctly (without shorting everything out or worse).

Art

kevkon
11-08-2009, 07:48 PM
If your switch is ok and you are just missing the knob and bulb I believe our hosts sell them
(RNH503)

Walker
11-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Unfortunately, several of the connector clips on the backside of the switch have broken off, soooo..... A new switch one way or the other is in the offing.

Art

kevkon
11-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Art, I might have a spare flasher switch minus the knob and bulb. I'll look if your interested. I lucked out and got a new one on EBay UK for about $20.
BTW, one reason for the expense of a new original unit is that it comes with a wiring harness which basically interupts the existing harness at the plug behind the dash. If you have the dash off you can see how the flasher is wired if you decide on an aftermarket type.

Walker
11-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Kevkon, I'm interested. I can get the knob/bulb elsewhere. contct me at bluerover72@yahoo.com, and thanks a lot!

Art