PDA

View Full Version : upgrades to a mod 109 2a

glbft1
11-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Greetings,
We have enjoyed our 109 and want to install some new gear.
Brakes yikes, need to get better in this dept
how hard is this upgrade??
and will probably install a heavy duty clutch and want to know the very best and stronger there is
Thanks greg

jp-
11-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Hi Greg,

Check out Terri Ann's site on brake info; it's very helpful.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/discBrake.htm

The original drum brakes are fine when in good working order, with the exception of not working worth a flip after driving through water. Brakes are not hard to work on, just understand that if you do the work yourself, you need to make sure you do it correctly as stopping tends to be important from time to time.

If your 2A originally came with a 9" clutch and pressure plate, the 9.5" clutch and pressure plate is a direct replacement, and will really help in that department.

LC_rover
11-08-2009, 09:59 PM
That Expedition Rover site is nice, but just about all the disc brake info I see on there is outdated. The links to the the preferred suppliers are dead and a few kits listed aren't being made any more. Rovers North informed me recently that they do not sell disc conversions any more. Ideally, the Torrel sounded particularly attractive to me because it was to use easily sourced North American parts. I can't find a supplier for this though.

I imagine it would be possible to fab this with a little help from a machine shop? :shrugs:

TeriAnn
11-09-2009, 12:25 PM
That Expedition Rover site is nice, but just about all the disc brake info I see on there is outdated. The links to the the preferred suppliers are dead and a few kits listed aren't being made any more.

Geeeezzzz That's a tad harsh isn't it?

Ray changed the URL to is Rocky Mountain web site so a SINGLE link on my page was broken, and Timm Cooper's last product run has sold out. I think there is a little more on that web page than a single link and a couple sentences saying where Timm's adapters can be found. All the other links on the page are good (I fixed the single broken one) and now the paragraph says that Timm's adapters are currently sold out. Other than that I believe everything on that web page is current and correct.

Thats harsh for a single broken link and 2 sentences that were obsolete.

The Hystee kit is still in production. Last I heard Great Basin Rovers had a few of his older kits still in stock sitting in Salt lake City.

Last I heard the Torrel kits are still in production but You need to contact Rocky Mountain and ask them as information is not on their web sites (Torrel does not have a web site and though Rocky mountain retails the product it is not a Rocky Mountain product).

Last I heard the Zeus kit was still available to people outside the US.

I have well over 100 web pages to try & keep current, so please, if you find a broken link or any information that you think is out of date shoot me an email to let me know. But just don't lambaste my page without letting me know what problems you find.

LC_rover
11-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Geeeezzzz That's a tad harsh isn't it?

Easy there, cowgirl! I wasn't trying to be overly critical. I love your site.

I was more lambasting the lack of easily found disc brake conversions than I was your reporting on them. I apologize if it came across any different. Your site is a credit to the community and I would imply nothing else.

Cheers.