PDA

View Full Version : Build your own Series Land Rover

gphiver
11-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Hello, I am wondering if anyone has tried to build their very own Series from scratch using new parts, etc. from our host and other resources?

What would is cost and would it be possible? I suppose I am wondering because I am not finding what I am looking for.

Just a thought.

czenkov
11-08-2009, 08:46 PM
A couple years ago one of the UK magazines featured a couple guys that did just that. The article stated that it was prohibitively expensive for the average guy to do. What Rover/options are you looking for and cannot find?

thixon
11-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Mercedesrover has basically done just that twice. Greenmeanie is currently doing that now.

Well, they almost did. Both fabbed parts they wanted, and used doner trucks, but close enough.

LC_rover
11-08-2009, 09:53 PM
I would think it would be too expensive to just buy all new parts and slap them together. I bet you can find a couple of trucks that you could put the body and chassis together on and one of them would have an engine to rebuild. If you are going to do the work yourself, then it might be worth it.

I know guys that have over $30k in classic 4x4s... everything from Broncos, to Landcruisers to Land Rovers. I'm not that crazy.

But if you are a decent mechanic with the shop and tools to do it in, I imagine you could get 2 or 3 junkers and build up what you want for about half that.

TJR
11-08-2009, 10:05 PM
I would think it would be too expensive to just buy all new parts and slap them together. I bet you can find a couple of trucks that you could put the body and chassis together on and one of them would have an engine to rebuild. If you are going to do the work yourself, then it might be worth it.

I know guys that have over $30k in classic 4x4s... everything from Broncos, to Landcruisers to Land Rovers. I'm not that crazy.

But if you are a decent mechanic with the shop and tools to do it in, I imagine you could get 2 or 3 junkers and build up what you want for about half that.

I sit here thinking about my rebuild....."So what have I actually used form the original old truck?" some body parts, engine block, flywheel, trans, radiator, bumper...hmm... though I'm sure I'll be well under the $30K mark!

JayGoss
11-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Ike @ Pangolin was building a 109 from all NOS parts. He has pictures on his website but they haven't been updated in a while. He got off to a great start so it's worth checking out.

Bertha
11-09-2009, 06:15 AM
I suppose I am wondering because I am not finding what I am looking for.

Its best to start with a parts truck, so at least you get the axles, bulkhead, rear body and fenders as well as the vin plate, everything else you could order from a catalog.

BTW what are you looking for?

gphiver
11-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks all, just curious of my options. I suppose I am living a bit too much in the past. I had a fantastic truck that I had spent a lot of time with her and due to a life change that did not allow me to keep it I had to let her go. See attached.

One of these days hopefully I will come across another 65, IIa, 88, tailgate, full or 3/4 soft top and an optional pick up cab that needs some TLC... etc.

Reading all of these posts everyday of your great projects I have been getting excited and anxious. I must have patience.

NelsAnderson
11-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Five or six years ago when I was looking for my Land Rover I found a company in England that seemed to be doing exactly what you suggest. It appeared they would get a VIN plate from a wrecked vehicle and build a new vehicle to match. Vehicles were built to order and there was something like a 6 to 12 month lead time. As I recall, a 109 SW (what I was looking for) was around $35,000 which if you think about it is pretty reasonable for a brand new custom built SUV. Can't seem to find the link any more though.

JayGoss
11-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Five or six years ago when I was looking for my Land Rover I found a company in England that seemed to be doing exactly what you suggest. It appeared they would get a VIN plate from a wrecked vehicle and build a new vehicle to match. Vehicles were built to order and there was something like a 6 to 12 month lead time. As I recall, a 109 SW (what I was looking for) was around $35,000 which if you think about it is pretty reasonable for a brand new custom built SUV. Can't seem to find the link any more though.

I agree- I paid way more than that for mine. It's beautiful....but I could've done better deal-wise.

Firemanshort
11-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Check out the Land Rover Center in Huddersfield - they will build what you specify (and you can order off menu, too - they can take a so-so truck and do some improvements without going the whole way of a total rebuild)

www.landrovercenter.com

gphiver
11-09-2009, 03:55 PM
I appreciate all of the ideas and links. My best bet may be as some of you have suggested, to get a hold of a truck that is a good beginning but needs a variety of work. That way I can really learn my way around the vehicle.

In the meantime I am spending a lot of my time preparing my garage to be the new home to a good project rover.

Thank you all I have already learned much from all of these posts.

greenmeanie
11-09-2009, 05:09 PM
In the meantime I am spending a lot of my time preparing my garage to be the new home to a good project rover.

A kitty litter 6" deep on the floor and an decontamination airlock between the garage and the house. Good planning.

gphiver
11-09-2009, 06:38 PM
C'mon... right now it is all I have.

I am living vicariously through everyone else on this forum and drinking way to much beer.

TJR
11-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Probably the best deal would be to buy someones abandoned project.. usually good for the buyer, but usually really bad for the seller though.

After years on my rebuild .. I still only have a pile of parts and a rolling chassis... I don't think I could it all w/o a loss..

..Talbot

kevkon
11-09-2009, 07:37 PM
How many Series owners don't eventually end up building their own one way or another?????

brucejohn
11-09-2009, 08:34 PM
How many Series owners don't eventually end up building their own one way or another?????

That's a great question. As I am simply trying to refurbish mine to regular tinker toy driving ability I am itching to start a second one "done right" as seen here by the real 'pros.'

jac04
11-10-2009, 07:20 AM
I have come pretty close to building one from scratch. Looks like my total investment will be about $28k including the purchase price of the vehicle:
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5073 (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5073)

The only major components from the original vehicle are:
- Bulkhead, seat box, radiator support, windscreen frame, body panels & hoop set
- Steering box & column assembly, steering wheel
- Heater
- Dash gauges & switches (although new speedometer)
- Pedal boxes & pedals
- Front axle housing, diff, halfshafts, swivel balls, swivel housings, stub axles, and brake backing plates
- Front & rear hubs (housings only)
- Rear diff
- Rear brake backing plates
- Emergency brake lever mechanism
- Rear propshaft (although new u-joints)
- Front & rear spring plates
- Wiring harness
- Bellhousing & clutch fork
- Flywheel

That sounds like a lot of parts, but it really isn’t.

NEW Major Components:
Chassis
Canvas Top
Windshield glass
ALL weatherstripping
Front bumper & bumperettes
Wheels & tires
Springs, shocks, u-bolts
Brake system (complete from master cylinder to brake drums)
Clutch system hydraulics (complete from master cylinder to slave)
Engine (rebuilt long block)
Distributor & electronic ignition
Carburetor
Alternator
Clutch disc & pressure plate
Transmission & transfer case (rebuilt assembly)
Radiator
Exhaust system
Front propshaft
Wheel bearings & seals
Rear axles shafts & stub axles
Rear axle case
Seats & Seat belts

gphiver
11-10-2009, 07:58 AM
I agree! You guys are real pros. It is very helpful seeing all of the project photos.

Vehicles like jac04's are wonderful! Probably a lot farther than I want to go with mine. As soon as I get a vehicle it'll be on here with questions. I may not be spending quite as much time on the forum then? Nah.

I am flying into Hartford, CT this weekend MAYBE I will get a chance to see an older rover running around. I do not see many in the Northern AZ area.

jac04
11-10-2009, 08:22 AM
I am flying into Hartford, CT this weekend ...
I'm about 3 miles from the airport. I rarely see any old Rovers driving around. Terrys only a few miles from me in Bloomfield, but for some reason I never see him driving around.

jb_
11-10-2009, 07:22 PM
I am flying into Hartford, CT this weekend .

Your Series can fly? :eek:

Jazzop
11-18-2009, 04:12 PM
I'd wager that most Series Rover owners (for any substantial period of time) end up rebuilding the machine entirely, just not all at once.

Perhaps in a hundred years or so, philosophy students will replace the classic Ship of Theseus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus) thought experiment with a Land Rover-based scenario!